The Student Room Group

Outstanding Pearson Learner Awards

Hi guys,

I was wondering if private candidates can get Outstanding Pearson Learner Awards for Edexcel International Advanced Level Mathematics. I got 600 out of the 600 UMS marks.

Has anyone heard of anything? Can't find any info online...

Besides, does anyone know if this type of awards is useful for applying for universities (a little, very much or not at all)?

Any info is greatly appreciated! Please comment!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't see why private candidates wouldn't be eligible, they take the same exams in the same way. However, quite a few students get full UMS in Maths and I imagine any prizes are decided on who gets the top raw marks. (For my experience in the UK for the exam boards AQA and OCR (Edexcel don't do any), any letters telling candidates that they've come top come out on Results Day.

I imagine getting a prize would be a nice thing to add to an application but I'm not sure how much difference it would make.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
I don't see why private candidates wouldn't be eligible, they take the same exams in the same way. However, quite a few students get full UMS in Maths and I imagine any prizes are decided on who gets the top raw marks. (For my experience in the UK for the exam boards AQA and OCR (Edexcel don't do any), any letters telling candidates that they've come top come out on Results Day.

I imagine getting a prize would be a nice thing to add to an application but I'm not sure how much difference it would make.

Any idea how I can get recognised?
Reply 3
Original post by hallzhuu
Any idea how I can get recognised?

Too late. Either you achieved enough raw marks to get an award or you didn't.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
Too late. Either you achieved enough raw marks to get an award or you didn't.

If I did, will I be notified by the centre from which I took the exam or what? How can I check if I did or not?
Reply 5
Original post by hallzhuu
If I did, will I be notified by the centre from which I took the exam or what? How can I check if I did or not?

I have no idea as these awards don't exist in the UK. I've told you all I know - other boards tell the centre on Results Day and get them to tell the candidate.
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
I have no idea as these awards don't exist in the UK. I've told you all I know - other boards tell the centre on Results Day and get them to tell the candidate.

Okay, thank you very much for the info!

Quick Reply

Latest