The Student Room Group

Question about going from level 2 to level 3

I am currently doing level 2 animal care however I do not intend to progress onto level 3 animal care.
I want to finish animal care level 2 and then go onto applied science level 3.
The requirements stated for level 3 applied science are 5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above, I have 2 4s but I am resitting English and maths.
I was told that animal care level 2 is worth 2 GCSEs so if I pass English, maths and animal care then would I be able to go onto applied science level 3 next year?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by jf2005
I am currently doing level 2 animal care however I do not intend to progress onto level 3 animal care.
I want to finish animal care level 2 and then go onto applied science level 3.
The requirements stated for level 3 applied science are 5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above, I have 2 4s but I am resitting English and maths.
I was told that animal care level 2 is worth 2 GCSEs so if I pass English, maths and animal care then would I be able to go onto applied science level 3 next year?

You say, "The requirements stated for level 3 applied science are 5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above". Where does that come from?

The official BTEC specification (here) says:

"Is there a learner entry requirement?

As a centre it is your responsibility to ensure that learners who are recruited have a reasonable expectation of success on the programme. There are no formal entry requirements but we expect learners to have qualifications at or equivalent to Level 2.

Learners are most likely to succeed if they have:
five GCSEs at good grades and/or
BTEC qualification(s) at Level 2
achievement in English and mathematics through GCSE or Functional Skills.

Learners may demonstrate ability to succeed in various ways. For example, learners may have relevant work experience or specific aptitude shown through diagnostic tests or non-educational experience."

That says that you're fine as far as Pearson (who own the BTEC brand) are concerned - but your school / college may have their own rules.

(BTW, the specification I've linked to has "Extended Diploma" on the front page, but covers the Certificate, Extended Certificate, Foundation Diploma and Diploma too. The text above applies to all BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Applied Science.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending