The Student Room Group

Could the U.K ever rejoin the EU?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ColinDent
If not wholly unfeasible.
I may be wrong but I can't see the EU going for this , but if they do then fill your boots.

They might not now, but I can see them moving to something like an EU citizenship application if they really do turn into the federal superstate that is such an alleged threat. It would be interesting then to see how many UK citizens might want to become EU citizens - enough I suspect to make our very right wing governmental system distinctly uncomfortable.
Original post by the bear
Britain is like a violinist who has flounced out of a symphony orchestra and ends up busking on the pavement outside.

Always like your constant digs at the UK.
It probably wouldn't be much bother for the UK to rejoin the EU if we wanted to. However, we'd be very unlikely to get a deal as good as the one we had, so it might be quite difficult to convince the pubic return at some point in the future.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
They might not now, but I can see them moving to something like an EU citizenship application if they really do turn into the federal superstate that is such an alleged threat. It would be interesting then to see how many UK citizens might want to become EU citizens - enough I suspect to make our very right wing governmental system distinctly uncomfortable.

Probably only a small amount once folk find they can still holiday without issue.

The number of working age natives who actually choose to live in Europe is very low. It's the old that do and the EU is not hard to emigrate to if you have money.
Stay European - the campaign to retain individual EU membership.
https://www.stayeuropean.org/?fbclid=IwAR0cJ-68nXertLe9ucImiFPZ6OE3ZgIBwepgEw4MBhw-f-7bkBS2rpgzGX0

Sounds good. :drool:

You do realise you have more chance on platting fog on a bright sunny day, dont you?
Stay European - the campaign to retain individual EU membership.
https://www.stayeuropean.org/?fbclid=IwAR0cJ-68nXertLe9ucImiFPZ6OE3ZgIBwepgEw4MBhw-f-7bkBS2rpgzGX0

Sounds good. :drool:

Pretty sure that proposal has been dead as a possibility for a couple of years. If you want to remain an EU citizen, get looking for an Irish granny or move abroad and apply for citizenship once you qualify.
No.
I suspect the EU will not last much longer.
The next recession which is due in at maximum 2 years will potentially break the EU.
There are many countries within the EU struggling right now and a recession will send them in free fall.

With the UK out the block Germany would have to front the bailout and they faced huge public backlash last time.

This is the problem with a shared currency.
But we will see.
Maybe the EU will Just split into a two tier EU.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Pretty sure that proposal has been dead as a possibility for a couple of years. If you want to remain an EU citizen, get looking for an Irish granny or move abroad and apply for citizenship once you qualify.

It's not straight forward though, my grandad was Irish, you have to have your own birth registered in You registered in the Foreign Births Register, which almost no parent would of done, let's be honest about it.
Original post by adam271
No.
I suspect the EU will not last much longer.
The next recession which is due in at maximum 2 years will potentially break the EU.
There are many countries within the EU struggling right now and a recession will send them in free fall.

With the UK out the block Germany would have to front the bailout and they faced huge public backlash last time.

This is the problem with a shared currency.
But we will see.
Maybe the EU will Just split into a two tier EU.

Agreed, they need to become the EEC again not the EU superstate they have been pushing for.
whether the EU will become a superstate or not
it is now out of the UK hand, after Brexit.

there is now no more 'what if' and 'then else' .

just look forward ahead and do not look back It is all under the bridge no point in turning back the clock. and turn back time.

Remember the song by Cher ? Turn back time.
It could but I doubt it would want to. When The doom forecasters are proved wrong about Brexit, EU membership will become an irrelevant spec of history in Britain and the campaign to rejoin will be as popular as the campaign for guns to be legalised.
Original post by It’s Jacob
It could but I doubt it would want to. When The doom forecasters are proved wrong about Brexit, EU membership will become an irrelevant spec of history in Britain and the campaign to rejoin will be as popular as the campaign for guns to be legalised.

You know, I hope you're right, but the way things look at the moment, there are no grounds for optimism. Our government are engaged in an approach to 'negotiations' that basically consists of throwing one's toys out of one's pram and demanding that the EU do as we say. Given that we have 65m people and they have 425m (after we leave - and several more countries are desperate to join the EU right now) and their economy is about 9 times that of ours and our exports to them are 45% of our trade, but their exports to us are 8% of their trade, it would appear that this is a rash approach. The US want nothing but to take advantage of us whilst giving nothing back. They are not going to give us access to crucial US markets in anything other than token ways. There is nothing to prevent the large scale movement of British jobs to Europe and it is extremely likely that under the current Tory scenarios, that is what is going to happen.
You know, I hope you're right, but the way things look at the moment, there are no grounds for optimism. Our government are engaged in an approach to 'negotiations' that basically consists of throwing one's toys out of one's pram and demanding that the EU do as we say. Given that we have 65m people and they have 425m (after we leave - and several more countries are desperate to join the EU right now) and their economy is about 9 times that of ours and our exports to them are 45% of our trade, but their exports to us are 8% of their trade, it would appear that this is a rash approach. The US want nothing but to take advantage of us whilst giving nothing back. They are not going to give us access to crucial US markets in anything other than token ways. There is nothing to prevent the large scale movement of British jobs to Europe and it is extremely likely that under the current Tory scenarios, that is what is going to happen.

You can mark my words, Brexit will be fine and to most people - the overwhelming majority - Brexit will have no noticeable effects apart from a blue passport and the likely need to apply to a visa waiver scheme online before travelling to the EU as we Dow it’s the US, Australia, New Zealand etc...

Brexit-influenced inflation, unemployment rates, growth, any decline and trade consequences will all be minor. In essence, for the everyday folk, it is business as usual. Brexit will only go well or badly for those in power or who have a loud voice and want to further their political interests. Expect to hear a lot about how wonderful things are from leavers and how terrible they are from rejoiners. Both wrong of course.

Quote me to myself in a few years please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending