The Student Room Group

girls hygiene makes me gag and I wanna vomit..

In my history class, there's this girl who always smells of body odor and sweat and I often gag and my eyes start watering. She's also in my form. She does spray deodorant but I reckon she only wears one shirt per week or something. Or maybe she has a sweat problem. Whatever it is I always have to open the window and spray around her chair because it stinks and my gag reflex is so bloody sensitive. How do I tell her she smells? Her hair is even worse - it's super greasy and her dandruff legit gets trapped between the teeth of her comb and she just picks it out, yeah, I gagged when I saw that. However, her hair is almost always covered because she wears a headscarf (she's a Muslim) and so no-one sees. Apart from when we do PE, then everyone sees, and it's gross. What should I say to her? She's quite a defensive person, and doesn't always get subtle hints.

Scroll to see replies

I would say that she is an exception to the rule.
Most of us girlies shower and wash our hair daily and use deodorants or perfume.
It's not really your place to say anything, there is no easy way of telling somebody they smell.
I guess you could ask the teacher to tell her!!!!
Good luck.
Original post by JJrevises
In my history class, there's this girl who always smells of body odor and sweat and I often gag and my eyes start watering. She's also in my form. She does spray deodorant but I reckon she only wears one shirt per week or something. Or maybe she has a sweat problem. Whatever it is I always have to open the window and spray around her chair because it stinks and my gag reflex is so bloody sensitive. How do I tell her she smells? Her hair is even worse - it's super greasy and her dandruff legit gets trapped between the teeth of her comb and she just picks it out, yeah, I gagged when I saw that. However, her hair is almost always covered because she wears a headscarf (she's a Muslim) and so no-one sees. Apart from when we do PE, then everyone sees, and it's gross. What should I say to her? She's quite a defensive person, and doesn't always get subtle hints.

You should probably ask the teacher at the start/end of form to have a quiet word with them in private They should be able to handle it in a more sensitive manner - e.g. there could be a health reason or maybe her family can't afford the products to help.
Original post by Chronoscope
You should probably ask the teacher at the start/end of form to have a quiet word with them in private They should be able to handle it in a more sensitive manner - e.g. there could be a health reason or maybe her family can't afford the products to help.

This ^

It’s not really your place to dictate hygiene to another pupil. If you’re make a big deal of spraying deodorant and opening windows when she’s around, you’re beginning to become a bully...

As @Chronoscope has said, maybe her family can’t afford to wash her clothes as often etc.

When it comes down to it, obviously no one likes the smell of BO, but you shouldn’t make her feel like rubbish about it.
I had an employee like that. She was good at her job which made it tough because I didn't want to piss her off/make her uncomfortable at work, in case she left. In the end my wife suggested she deal with it, as she thought that the other woman would react better if it was coming from a girl rather than a boy.

So I guess who it comes from can really make a difference. Are you the right person or is there someone else that can have a word.

Its only fair on her that someone does though - better she know what people think and then can either deal with it (or refuse to and not care) then not know what people are saying behind her back.
Answering the original post, please don't be hostile to this girl, maybe she doesn't realise she smells bad- you should probably tell your teacher and let them handle it.
I understand that the odour isn’t pleasant, but it’s something you’ll have to put up with I’m afraid. I’m sure she’s noticed herself or at least her family members have, but as you said, it could be health related and there’s a chance she already feels insecure about it, so you informing her is likely to make the situation worse. I have anxiety and sometimes suffer from it myself and I find it humiliating enough. If it’s that bad then ask your teacher if you can move seats (just use another reason like poor eyesight or the person in front being too tall) because for all you know she could be suffering from something like depression and physically cannot bring herself to shower that often. Hope it get solved naturally somehow :smile:

maybe she doesn't change her clothes that often? For example..maybe she wore the pink t-shirt on September , December , march and July. That is 4 times of sweat.

On her birthday give her a perfume and a better deodorant.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by dontbethatway
Answering the original post, please don't be hostile to this girl, maybe she doesn't realise she smells bad- you should probably tell your teacher and let them handle it.

I very much doubt this girl smells bad or anything. There is nothing stopping this person from not sitting close to this girl and refraining from observing her when she is combing her hair.

Judging from the OP's irrelevant emphasis on the girl's headscarf and muslim background, I suspect there's another motive for this post here. Bullies carry hate towards their victims that often manifests itself through indirect, covert and psychological means...I highly suspect this is the case here...this story sounds a lot like an excuse to bully and hate...People replying are most likely giving this individual ideas on how to go about bullying this girl and encouraging him/her do so.
(edited 4 years ago)
Are you a boy or girl?
Reply 10
Original post by Pinkisk
I very much doubt this girl smells bad or anything. There is nothing stopping this person from not sitting close to this girl and refraining from observing her when she is combing her hair.

Judging from the OP's irrelevant emphasis on the girl's headscarf and muslim background, I suspect there's another motive for this post here. Bullies carry hate towards their victims that often manifests itself through indirect, covert and psychological means...I highly suspect this is the case here...this story sounds a lot like an excuse to bully and hate...People replying are most likely giving this individual ideas on how to go about bullying this girl and encouraging him/her do so.

didn't mean to make it out like I was bullying her! I am actually generally nice to her, and stuff and Ive never mentioned anything to her that's unpleasant or racist or had anything to do with bullying, or anything that could be classed as bullying. I mean I've asked the teacher to move me, because the girl is placed next to me by the teacher as its her decision. But the teacher said she will change it at Easter. I have never ever considered bullying anyone because I know that that is so selfish and immature. If I am going to bully her (which I wouldn't and will not in the future) then I probably wouldn't ask such a question, and just go ahead and start mouthing off at her.
didn't mean to make it out like I was bullying her! I am actually generally nice to her, and stuff and Ive never mentioned anything to her that's unpleasant or racist or had anything to do with bullying, or anything that could be classed as bullying. I mean I've asked the teacher to move me, because the girl is placed next to me by the teacher as its her decision. But the teacher said she will change it at Easter. I have never ever considered bullying anyone because I know that that is so selfish and immature. If I am going to bully her (which I wouldn't and will not in the future) then I probably wouldn't ask such a question, and just go ahead and start mouthing off at her.

Asking your teacher to move you without telling her why is a civilised, mature way of dealing with this problem. Telling the teacher that you want to move because your colleague smells, as some have advised in this thread, is an extremely bad idea. It is extremely inappropriate. Spraying perfume around the girl and the place where she sits is extremely rude, immature and inappropriate. Watching her whilst she changes in the changing room is extremely rude as well.

I used to work in a hospital around patients. Very bad odours were not uncommon. The way I dealt with this issue was to carry some scented oils in my pocket. Wherever appropriate I would apply the oil to my upper lip, just beneath my nose. This would help mask the smell and also help me maintain composure and remain professional in front of my patients.
(edited 4 years ago)
lmao generally the problem is not with women, i can assure you 😂
There appears to be more than one thread today about females and personal hygiene. I wonder why???
i think you really need to sit her down and just say it straight.
Sis you need a shower.
But of course be sensitive to the fact that she may have underlying medical conditions
Original post by ageshallnot
There appears to be more than one thread today about females and personal hygiene. I wonder why???

Conspiracy. Its probably the freemasons!
Original post by Pinkisk

This is exactly what I thought on reading the OP.
i just know she doesn’t smell that bad. if you smell that bad then you will smell it and you’ll be aware others can smell it too. you’re probably over exaggerating.
Reply 18
Poor girl might be living in extreme poverty or has issues that makes her neglect her hygiene. Anyways the best thing to do is befriend her and then privately have a conversation with her and tell her whats what and be nice about the whole thing. Ask her if she needs any help with anything. If it is a lack of money then try helping her out, be nice enough to maybe buy some deodorant, a new comb, even a shirt if you can?
Original post by Pinkisk
Asking your teacher to move you without telling her why is a civilised, mature way of dealing with this problem. Telling the teacher that you want to move because your colleague smells, as some have advised in this thread, is an extremely bad idea. It is extremely inappropriate. Spraying perfume around the girl and the place where she sits is extremely rude, immature and inappropriate. Watching her whilst she changes in the changing room is extremely rude as well.

I used to work in a hospital around patients. Very bad odours were not uncommon. The way I dealt with this issue was to carry some scented oils in my pocket. Wherever appropriate I would apply the oil to my upper lip, just beneath my nose. This would help mask the smell and also help me maintain composure and remain professional in front of my patients.

Ask her. Genuinely just mention it nicely, I had the same issue in year 10-11 where I sat next to the same girl that reeked so badly. Everyone in my class was aware. I regret not telling her, or at least getting the teacher to move me.

Quick Reply

Latest