The Student Room Group

Is a fourth A Level Worth it?

Hi, I am just wondering whether Uni's really don't care if you take three or four A levels, and what are the advantages of taking four?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

4 can be more appealing , especially for things like further maths onto of maths.

but I'd say only take 4 if you can truly handle it, most people i know who have taken 4 are struggling with pressure - this will obvs differ from person to person however.

3 is comfortable I'd say.
4 a levels isn't worth it. Unless you're going to do further maths as a fourth and you're planning on doing maths or engineering at university. Other than that, don't put yourself through that pain
Reply 3
I do four and I'd say I'm struggling a bit haha but I do think it can be more appealing for certain courses at certain unis!
I only get 3 frees a fortnight, whereas people who do 3 at my school get around 12 a fortnight.
Only do it if you feel you can handle the pressure/ if you really like all four subjects.
Original post by dlwldP
I do four and I'd say I'm struggling a bit haha but I do think it can be more appealing for certain courses at certain unis!
I only get 3 frees a fortnight, whereas people who do 3 at my school get around 12 a fortnight.
Only do it if you feel you can handle the pressure/ if you really like all four subjects.

Okay, thank you!
Original post by ADRIAAAAANANAA
4 a levels isn't worth it. Unless you're going to do further maths as a fourth and you're planning on doing maths or engineering at university. Other than that, don't put yourself through that pain.

I think you have a point - thank you (:
Original post by A-Conquer
4 can be more appealing , especially for things like further maths onto of maths.

but I'd say only take 4 if you can truly handle it, most people i know who have taken 4 are struggling with pressure - this will obvs differ from person to person however.

3 is comfortable I'd say.

Yeah that makes sense - thank you!
Original post by dlwldP

Which subjects are you doing/what course are you thinking of doing afterwards, out of interest? Do you think you'll drop the fourth at some point? Thank you! Sorry for all the questions!
Original post by *ConfusedStudent
Hi, I am just wondering whether Uni's really don't care if you take three or four A levels, and what are the advantages of taking four?

Thanks!

if you are like me studying Maths Further Maths product design. a fourth A-level like statistics might be a yes, cause if you study the stats side for further maths (FS1 and FS2), it covers most of the statistics A-level. so essentially getting a free a-level for doing nothing DEFINATELY worth it. secondly IF your are not planning to do medicine, could be useful, shows you are putting your spare time to good use, that is if you cant get work experience,job, etc.

I get no frees cause i am currently doing 4a-levels and As. if you are willing to give up a lot of your social life go ahead. if not stick with 3
I took four on a whim and wouldn’t recommend it. Personally, I would say you should always take three unless one of them is further maths and one of the unis you want to go to only counts further maths as an ‘add on’
Reply 10
Which subjects are you doing/what course are you thinking of doing afterwards, out of interest? Do you think you'll drop the fourth at some point? Thank you! Sorry for all the questions!

I do Biology Chemistry Maths and Spanish, and I'm doing medicine! (in yr13 atm).
I don't think I'll drop anything now, it would be a waste of all the work I've put in so far.
Don't be sorry!

Thanks!

Haii imma argue that you should totally take 4 but only if you're confident witht the gcse content like 8/9s (not through your exam technique but your genuine understanding). In mine and many other schools every student is expected to take 4 with some doing 5 , on the basis that we are strong in the subjects we choose so if this is the case then absolutely go for it. The fourth could be something you really enjoy and yes unis only use 3 in ur offer but if you do unexpectedly badly at one your fourth subject could infact save you. Doing something like an essay subject, language or humanity with 2 sciences and maths (for example) looks realllyy good and teaches you a broad range of things too. hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Girlboss666
Haii imma argue that you should totally take 4 but only if you're confident witht the gcse content like 8/9s (not through your exam technique but your genuine understanding). In mine and many other schools every student is expected to take 4 with some doing 5 , on the basis that we are strong in the subjects we choose so if this is the case then absolutely go for it. The fourth could be something you really enjoy and yes unis only use 3 in ur offer but if you do unexpectedly badly at one your fourth subject could infact save you. Doing something like an essay subject, language or humanity with 2 sciences and maths (for example) looks realllyy good and teaches you a broad range of things too. hope this helps :smile:

Yes this worked for my son who needed A*AA with 2 sciences.He wanted to do Chemistry as it was vital for a career in Biology but was not confident in achieving an A so took History to get the extra A with Geog for the extra science.But yes only if you can cope with workload.
Since universities only look for three A-levels, I'd say no, it isn't worth it.
Original post by Girlboss666

Yes this was really helpful - thank you! :smile:
Original post by Scotney
Yes this worked for my son who needed A*AA with 2 sciences.He wanted to do Chemistry as it was vital for a career in Biology but was not confident in achieving an A so took History to get the extra A with Geog for the extra science.But yes only if you can cope with workload.

Okay, thank you!
Original post by zaythereveluv
Since universities only look for three A-levels, I'd say no, it isn't worth it.

Yeah, you do have a point. Thank you :smile:
Original post by ADRIAAAAANANAA
4 a levels isn't worth it. Unless you're going to do further maths as a fourth and you're planning on doing maths or engineering at university. Other than that, don't put yourself through that pain

True or the 4th a-level could be a native language of yours (me: French) but yeah I agree with you
Original post by dlwldP

3 frees a fortnight? I get 23 lol
Original post by dlwldP

3 frees a fortnight with 4 subjects? I have 16 a fortnight and I do 4.

Quick Reply

Latest