The Student Room Group

The Left’s Problem with British Indians

British Indians have been drifting away from the Labour Party for years. Many are concerned by Labour’s indifference to individual initiative, its laxness on crime and immigration, and more recently, by Jeremy Corbyn's ties to Islamists, writes Rakib Ehsan.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/02/20/the-lefts-problem-with-british-indians/

Indians are now represented at the top of British politics, and the identitarian left is furious.

Following last week’s unexpectedly dramatic reshuffle, Boris Johnson’s cabinet now includes four politicians of Indian descent. Priti Patel remained as home secretary and three British Indians were appointed in new roles.

Former chief secretary to the Treasury Rishi Sunak was promoted to chancellor of the exchequer in spectacular fashion, following Sajid Javid’s resignation. Indian-born Alok Sharma not only replaced Andrea Leadsom as business and energy secretary, but he is also now president of the upcoming UN Climate Conference in November, aka COP26. Suella Braverman replaced Geoffrey Cox as attorney general and is now the government’s top lawyer. These are interesting developments in a supposedly ethno-nationalist administration.

The Conservative Party’s relationship with British Indians an admittedly diverse group in terms of migratory background and religious affiliation is one of the more interesting developments of recent times. Traditionally, British Indians provided the Labour Party with high levels of electoral support in part due to the party’s passage of race-relations legislation and its broader reputation for fighting racism.

But things have changed. Today, British Indians are the second-highest earning ethnic group in Britain, earning more on average per hour than the majority white population. British Indians are renowned for their entrepreneurial spirit and are generally not instinctive supporters of the high-tax, large-spend economic policies associated with Labour in recent times. Like most Brits, many British Indians are far from impressed with Labour’s particularly Jeremy Corbyn’s ties with Islamist organisations. And the party’s reluctance to discuss the terror threat posed by Islamist extremism currently the most prevalent form of terrorism in the UK is a cause for concern.

Support for Labour among British Pakistani and British Bangladeshi Muslims has remained exceptionally high over the past few General Elections. But among British Indians support for the Conservatives has steadily grown.

The most recent General Election showed a further fraying of the relationship between Labour and British Indians. In Harrow East a west London seat with a sizeable Indian-origin population Labour fell some way behind. Meanwhile, Conservative MP Bob Blackman increased his vote share by five percentage points. Leicester has the second-largest Indian-born population in Britain. In the last election, in Leicester West and Leicester East, Labour’s vote share dropped by 11 and 16 percentage points respectively.

The fact that British Indians have been so successful and have integrated into society should be celebrated by the left. Here is a story of migrants, refugees and their descendants making notable contributions to British public life in business, politics, media, entertainment, sport and more.

However, the identitarian left is much more interested in keeping ethnic minorities locked into a perpetual state of victimhood. The values of personal responsibility, individual initiative and self-sufficiency, which run deep in British Indian communities, challenge the left’s grievance-driven narratives. The fact that British Indians have managed to thrive also calls the widespread notion of ‘white privilege’ into question.

A good number of British Indians hold culturally conservative views, which are fundamentally at odds with left-wing cosmopolitanism, particularly on issues such as immigration and integration. Indians are also the most pro-Brexit of the UK’s non-white ethnic groups.

Politicians of Indian heritage are a growing force in high-level Tory politics, and this has made them a target for the left. This often spills over into racial slurs. British Indian Conservative politicians have effectively been branded Uncle Toms and race traitors. One left-wing writer described them as ‘turncoats of colour’. Home secretary Priti Patel has been accused of having ‘internalised whiteness’. and a ‘Raj complex’. In a pathetic and bizarre hit piece, the Guardian the bastion of chattering-class intolerance highlighted Suella Braverman’s membership of a Buddhist sect, which it said could ‘raise questions’ about ‘her judgement as the government’s senior legal expert’. No doubt the left would be quick to call out such slurs and innuendos if they were directed elsewhere.

If the British left refuses to acknowledge the role of individual initiative in personal success, if it continues to appear soft on issues such as immigration and crime, and if it carries on fraternising with Islamists, then it will continue to alienate British Indians.

Dr Rakib Ehsan is a research fellow at the Henry Jackson Society.
To sum up:
British Indians aren't white. According to leftie dogma, anyone who isn't white should vote Labour. British Indians decide to vote Tory instead.
This causes a problem for the identitarian left who are under the impression they are saving the ethnic minorities in the UK from Tory rule, as some of these ethnic minorities then vote Tory.

Their solution seems to be to dig a hole in the sand, stick their head in it and yell ”coconut” at dissenters.
Original post by LiberOfLondon
To sum up:
British Indians aren't white. According to leftie dogma, anyone who isn't white should vote Labour. British Indians decide to vote Tory instead.
This causes a problem for the identitarian left who are under the impression they are saving the ethnic minorities in the UK from Tory rule, as some of these ethnic minorities then vote Tory.

Their solution seems to be to dig a hole in the sand, stick their head in it and yell ”coconut” at dissenters.

lol! same goes for democrats in USA! They get the blacks eeeeeeeverytime!! :nah: Don't blacks know neither side cares about them (sadly to say, it is a damn shame, but it's true!) blacks shouldn't be discouraged to vote how they want for fear of being seen as a sellout. The real sell outs are the ones who perpetuate a bad culture due to arbitrary bandwagoning.

Blacks should be left wing as left wing is all about welfare and chances which blacks feel they need, but they shouldn't necessarily always vote democratic for the sake of doing so...has voting democrat ever helped them??....its certainly kept them in a comfort zone.

Anyway despite that similarity, things are still different in UK. It's not so racially motivated as USA. It's more class divided. Regardless of skin, if you're not working class (or a liberal hipster) they just might have to ask themselves "why vote Labour?" It's certainly masochistic. However, working class whites have only been leaning towards Tories simply because the labour party has used people of colour as poster children for their vote...and this is when the liberals and labour party come in and say "see? The Tories are racist. We like you. Come with us." yet this was a division that the labour party and liberals created....smh.
Just write a narrative for a whole political spectrum and treat it as gospel, very constructive.
Reply 4
Original post by Castro Saint
Just write a narrative for a whole political spectrum and treat it as gospel, very constructive.

So, basically, ideology.
Reply 5
Original post by Bang Outta Order
lol! same goes for democrats in USA! They get the blacks eeeeeeeverytime!! :nah: Don't blacks know neither side cares about them (sadly to say, it is a damn shame, but it's true!) blacks shouldn't be discouraged to vote how they want for fear of being seen as a sellout. The real sell outs are the ones who perpetuate a bad culture due to arbitrary bandwagoning.

Blacks should be left wing as left wing is all about welfare and chances which blacks feel they need, but they shouldn't necessarily always vote democratic for the sake of doing so...has voting democrat ever helped them??....its certainly kept them in a comfort zone.

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/22/18259865/great-awokening-white-liberals-race-polling-trump-2020
Interesting the suggestion that British Indians have been moving away from Labour- were they very supportive in the first place. Those of Indian heritage being more likely to support the Conservatives than other ethnic minorities or join the Tory party does not seem new to me.
Reply 7
As a left-wing black person, I’m failing to understand how you are saying that when either Democrats or Republicans are going to get into office, left wing black people shouldn’t vote Democrats? I’m unsure if you’ve noticed that although both sides have “prejudices” against black people, the Republican Party, headed by America’s top racist Trump would be (and is being) catastrophic to our community in America-take a look at all the police and ethnic minority shootings in America since he got in!
Reply 8
Original post by epicnm
As a left-wing black person, I’m failing to understand how you are saying that when either Democrats or Republicans are going to get into office, left wing black people shouldn’t vote Democrats? I’m unsure if you’ve noticed that although both sides have “prejudices” against black people, the Republican Party, headed by America’s top racist Trump would be (and is being) catastrophic to our community in America-take a look at all the police and ethnic minority shootings in America since he got in!

You're probably responding to @Bang Outta Order here but it may also seem like a reply to the OP. For the record, I agree. Any fan of liberty, democratic institutions and the rule of law is better served by the Democrats in the US against what is now the Trump Party. And if I were an ethnic minority, I'd probably rather be patronised by the far left than demonised by the far right.
Reply 9
Original post by Ascend
and more recently, by Jeremy Corbyn's ties to Islamists

I imagine some clarity on 'hindu indians' is probably required here. Although given Spiked dubious providence and all...
Original post by epicnm

why do you think policy brutality is attached to Trump...? Do you have a link or copy of a statute that says police can kill people signed under Trump..? Police have been horrible to blacks way before Trump lmao. Again like I said blacks have a severe comfort zone and it's only hindering them. Trayvon Martin got killed during the Obama administration...lol the rise of policy brutality THAT YOU HEAR ABOUT has risen. I'm sure things will be **** for blacks before and after a republican president!

lol oh look...a chart! *gasp* and a link to a non scholarly peer reviewed article! It's my lucky day.
Reply 12
why do you think policy brutality is attached to Trump...? Do you have a link or copy of a statute that says police can kill people signed under Trump..? Police have been horrible to blacks way before Trump lmao. Again like I said blacks have a severe comfort zone and it's only hindering them. Trayvon Martin got killed during the Obama administration...lol the rise of policy brutality THAT YOU HEAR ABOUT has risen. I'm sure things will be **** for blacks before and after a republican president!

Police brutality against black people has pre existed in America before Trump. What trump has done to the situation is promote this brutality, either directly or through his lack of condemnation. I’ll quote a speech from a Trump rally addressed to police officers:

Like when you guys put somebody in the car and you’re protecting their head, you know, the way you put their hand over? Like, don’t hit their head and they’ve just killed somebody—don’t hit their head. I said, you can take the hand away, O.K.?

Trump is actually encouraging police brutality here. I assume your going to say that a killer deservers such brutality, and while you may think that, by accepting, allowing and encouraging this use of force, it will be abused for innocent, predominantly black men who are targeted in America.

Things will be bad for black people before a republican president and made hundreds of times worse after a republican president!
Reply 14
lol oh look...a chart! *gasp* and a link to a non scholarly peer reviewed article! It's my lucky day.

I don't understand this hysterical reaction to a graph that doesn't actually hurt the points you made. What exactly is your problem with it?

If anything, it shows how the white left are taking up 'racial justice' to an extreme point beyond that of black Americans' desires.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Napp
I imagine some clarity on 'hindu indians' is probably required here.

That assumes Muslim Indians being more at ease with Corbyn's ties to Islamists. Given British Indians' generally higher socioeconomic status (whether Hindu or Muslim) compared to other SE Asian Muslims, I don't think this assumption follows.
Original post by Ascend
British Indians have been drifting away from the Labour Party for years. Many are concerned by Labour’s indifference to individual initiative, its laxness on crime and immigration, and more recently, by Jeremy Corbyn's ties to Islamists, writes Rakib Ehsan.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/02/20/the-lefts-problem-with-british-indians/

Corbyn is a ********** and needs to support Indians right now. Also Labour is trash and I don't know how they're still alive after their humiliating defeat.
Original post by LiberOfLondon
To sum up:

The Tory party supports Indians more than Labour. Just another great reason that the Tories are better than Labour.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending