The Student Room Group

I have received an awful AS retake grade. Am I going to be ok?

I’m taking three A levels in which two of them are modular, these being psychology and business studies.

I got an A in psychology AS level and was happy with that. However, for business studies, I got a really low B in one unit and a C in another unit. I retook the unit I got a C in. I studied a lot for the retake but I got a C again. I need a B or an A grade, preferably an A grade, for my business studies overall grade, and I am was wondering whether this is even possible.

I feel quite panicked and I don’t really know what to do.
Original post by alexa242424
I’m taking three A levels in which two of them are modular, these being psychology and business studies.

I got an A in psychology AS level and was happy with that. However, for business studies, I got a really low B in one unit and a C in another unit. I retook the unit I got a C in. I studied a lot for the retake but I got a C again. I need a B or an A grade, preferably an A grade, for my business studies overall grade, and I am was wondering whether this is even possible.

You can retake AS within 2 cycles of the original or within 12 months. I dont know if theres a rule of letting you take it again within 12 months of A2.
As to what grade you can achieve its simple. For however much you fell short of your target grade in the AS, then you need to make the target grade + the shortfall in A2, so if you need a B and you got C in AS you are likely to need a very high B or an A depending how much you fell short by, in order to get a B.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You can retake AS within 2 cycles of the original or within 12 months. I dont know if theres a rule of letting you take it again within 12 months of A2.
As to what grade you can achieve its simple. For however much you fell short of your target grade in the AS, then you need to make the target grade + the shortfall in A2, so if you need a B and you got C in AS you are likely to need a very high B or an A depending how much you fell short by, in order to get a B.

Thank you! I’m going to retake the unit exam in June and look at my exam script to see where I went so wrong.
No you’re not going to be okay your life is over, finished. Don’t you know that every successful person that ever lived had good AS levels? You’ve ruined it now. There’s nothing in life that awaits you now. You may as well stick a revolver in your mouth. (Metaphorically speaking, of course).

What country are you taking these in?
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
What country are you taking these in?

I’m taking these in Bahrain.
I’m taking these in Bahrain.

Ah, OK - clearly you're an ex-pat and a native speaker whose parent(s) works in Bahrain, I presume? This makes sense then with the 'modular' thing.

It depends on the arithmetic of it - you should be able to calculate what UMS you need to get in the remaining modules to get a B or A overall. Usually, if it's a 60-mark UMS and you've got a reasonably high C, you should still be able to get a B fairly easily, and possibly an A, so long as the rest of the modules are good. If it's a low C, then the chance of an A is diminished, but still not out of reach.

As I say, you need to do the arithmetic to see what UMS you need out of the remaining modules.
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
Ah, OK - clearly you're an ex-pat and a native speaker whose parent(s) works in Bahrain, I presume? This makes sense then with the 'modular' thing.

It depends on the arithmetic of it - you should be able to calculate what UMS you need to get in the remaining modules to get a B or A overall. Usually, if it's a 60-mark UMS and you've got a reasonably high C, you should still be able to get a B fairly easily, and possibly an A, so long as the rest of the modules are good. If it's a low C, then the chance of an A is diminished, but still not out of reach.

As I say, you need to do the arithmetic to see what UMS you need out of the remaining modules.

In regards to the arithmetic, I know that with my current UMS it is possible to get an A. However, I’d obviously have to get very high marks on the A2 units in order to achieve an A. I’m going to retake the unit because I assume that my poor grade is due to poor exam technique, rather than a lack of knowledge on the topics within the unit. However, I’ll have to wait until I can get my exam script to see where I went wrong.

Thank you for your help!
In regards to the arithmetic, I know that with my current UMS it is possible to get an A. However, I’d obviously have to get very high marks on the A2 units in order to achieve an A. I’m going to retake the unit because I assume that my poor grade is due to poor exam technique, rather than a lack of knowledge on the topics within the unit. However, I’ll have to wait until I can get my exam script to see where I went wrong.

Thank you for your help!

You're welcome :smile: Yes, by all means retake the unit because this will obviously reduce the UMS you need in the remaining harder A2 units to get an A overall. As you rightly say, examination technique is very important, so spend a good amount of time going through past papers and seeing how the examiners need you to answer the questions by carefully using the MS.

Quick Reply

Latest