The Student Room Group

Does Britain need a new national anthem?

When I listen to other national anthems, they usually exaggerate about how their country is great, how their people are collectively resilient and how their army is invincible. The music is also very upbeat.

The UK anthem, on the other hand, doesn't tick any of the boxes. It doesn't mention the people of the UK, it doesn't explain how Britain is a great country and the music sounds very depressing. It's basically just a poem about the Queen (or King) [depending on who's in charge].
Original post by David-Isaac
When I listen to other national anthems, they usually exaggerate about how their country is great, how their people are collectively resilient and how their army is invincible. The music is also very upbeat.

The UK anthem, on the other hand, doesn't tick any of the boxes. It doesn't mention the people of the UK, it doesn't explain how Britain is a great country and the music sounds very depressing. It's basically just a poem about the Queen (or King) [depending on who's in charge].

Isn't the national anthem "Rule Brittania", therefore, bragging about how they own most of the sea??!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by Nexus_Heathenss
Isn't the national anthem "Rule Brittania", therefore, bragging about how they own most of the sea??!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Er, it's God save the Queen.
Reply 3

The UK? Or Britain?

What about the Crown Dependencies?
British Oversea Territories?
Original post by Nexus_Heathenss

I'm talking about God save the Queen
Reply 5
I still rather like our unofficial ones of 'jerusalem' and 'rule britannia'. God save the Queen/King is a bit tired.
We should keep it. But we should have an English anthem too, and that should be Jerusalem
Reply 7

The Spanish anthem has no words. So, you know, that's not a given.

Maybe not the verses we usually sing, but if you look up all the lyrics you might change your mind on that...
The obvious option for patriotic Brits

https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ
God Save the Queen should be for British occasions. Where something is English, or Scottish, or Welsh, another anthem should be played. The England football team should have Jerusalem or something else, not God Save the Queen.
Reply 10

How about changing the lyrics of this one about a bit?
Lets be honest here, the best one is clearly the Russian Federations and the rock version just wow :tongue:
Honestly go for this:

Make two change first - replace england with britain/uk... and change the line about empire to allies.. job done. Great defiant war song from one of our iconic singers.

(edited 4 years ago)
I think we would actually see a real boost in sporting events if we had a better anthem. Its so dreery at the moment. 50,000 people singing rule britiania at the top of their voices.. that would get the teams going a bit.

or we pick different anthems for different events.

God save the queen - anything royal..
Jerusalem - anything official/serious
Rule Britannia - anything competitive except football
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va6nPu-1auE - football (doesn't matter that it was written by a french guy..)
(edited 4 years ago)
Objectively it doesn't need one.

I vow to thee my country would be good, though.
To separate into regional anthems would be a dangerous act.

Changing the national anthem at all is a needless change.

That said I don't mind Vow To Thee especially if we play the video of Churchill's funeral.
Original post by Rakas21
To separate into regional anthems would be a dangerous act.

Changing the national anthem at all is a needless change.

That said I don't mind Vow To Thee especially if we play the video of Churchill's funeral.

The British anthem should be God Save the Queen with all three verses sung
For each nation:
England - I Vow to Thee, My Country
Scotland - Scotland the Brave (the only one of the three anthems that isn't Anglophobic or associated with the Scot Nats)
Wales - Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau(or however you say it)
Northern Ireland - Londonderry Air (with the lyrics of Danny Boy)
Original post by LiberOfLondon
The British anthem should be God Save the Queen with all three verses sung
For each nation:
England - I Vow to Thee, My Country
Scotland - Scotland the Brave (the only one of the three anthems that isn't Anglophobic or associated with the Scot Nats)
Wales - Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau(or however you say it)
Northern Ireland - Londonderry Air (with the lyrics of Danny Boy)

Highlighting our regionality would again be a dangerous act.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending