The Student Room Group

Cyprus good for medicine??

Scroll to see replies

Perfect thank you... would you say it’s important to like watch the news ect... read medical journals
Original post by GUMBALL77
Conditional offer. I need to get atleast ABB

What sort of questions did they ask like do you have any advice I’m so nervous! Also do you know if the degree applies in the uk?
Original post by Lucyjcoulson
What sort of questions did they ask like do you have any advice I’m so nervous! Also do you know if the degree applies in the uk?

Hello, I got accepted a couple of weeks ago too. Yes I've checked the GMC list of approved medical schools, the degree definitely applies to the UK. Don't worry the interview will be fine, the questions are quite typical for medicine. I don't think you particularly need to do much to prepare, they genuinely want you to do well.
I have applied in University of Nicosia in Cyprus. However the degree is for 6 years and it really bothers me that it is 6 years. I would really like to come to the UK and do medicine but I just feel like it will financially affect my parents. The medicine course in UK that I’ve applied to is only 5 years. Idk I just feel like 6 years is the only thing that’s bothering me.

I believe it's 6 years as you also get a Biomedical Sciences degree after the 4th year (similar to intercalation in the UK). I've gotten accepted too!
Original post by kktrian
I believe it's 6 years as you also get a Biomedical Sciences degree after the 4th year (similar to intercalation in the UK). I've gotten accepted too!

thats great! are you taking the offer though??
Original post by baeoftae
thats great! are you taking the offer though??

Yeah I've already accepted
thats great! hopefully we can meet each other! (:
just one small question... are you a girl or a boy??

Original post by kktrian
Yeah I've already accepted
Original post by baeoftae
just one small question... are you a girl or a boy??

I'm a girl haha
Reply 29
Original post by kktrian
I'm a girl haha

Mee tooo 😂 I hope we can meet in person when uni starts 😂
Does anyone know if we get an offer holder day or something similar?
Original post by fionawilliams99
I am a first year student here if any of you want first hand experience/ want to ask questions:

I got offers to study med in the UK but really wanted a study abroad experience and glad i picked nicosia!

You will basically get in with BBB so dw about grades infact most ppl get in and thats why its a 6 year course the first year is to filter out the ones that can't cope - If you suceed in alevels the content wont be hard its just a more medical version of the subjects youve done at alevels - kind of like a 'hard' foundation year to medicine but ur still exposed to clinical skills ect - ekg/ suturing clubs (external)/ xray/ ultrasound work

Instead of most UK med schools where u do block systems in nicosia it follows a more european medicine course / american where you do like 12 weeks of pharmacology/ 12 weeks of virology/ biochemistry / medical physics ect - which prepares you a lot for the USMLE if you choose to want to do it... but if you want to work in the UK it also prepares you for that as the course is GMC accredited, refers to a lot of the GMC, UK medical board legislations ect

as for the interview its very similar to a UK uni one from what I rmb last year I was asked an ethics question(s), importance of research in medicine + examples, examples of leadership, work experience, why medicine ect.. dw they just want to know you as a person

this degree is accepted in the UK, and in fact since its an MD it has more 'power' over the british degree as it means you can also work in other european countries + america ect ect

Aren't you worried about having to gain clinical experience in Cyprus (where you'd have to know Greek to understand and communicate with patients) if there aren't enough places in Barnsley Hospital?
Reply 32
Original post by fionawilliams99
I am a first year student here if any of you want first hand experience/ want to ask questions:

I got offers to study med in the UK but really wanted a study abroad experience and glad i picked nicosia!

You will basically get in with BBB so dw about grades infact most ppl get in and thats why its a 6 year course the first year is to filter out the ones that can't cope - If you suceed in alevels the content wont be hard its just a more medical version of the subjects youve done at alevels - kind of like a 'hard' foundation year to medicine but ur still exposed to clinical skills ect - ekg/ suturing clubs (external)/ xray/ ultrasound work

Instead of most UK med schools where u do block systems in nicosia it follows a more european medicine course / american where you do like 12 weeks of pharmacology/ 12 weeks of virology/ biochemistry / medical physics ect - which prepares you a lot for the USMLE if you choose to want to do it... but if you want to work in the UK it also prepares you for that as the course is GMC accredited, refers to a lot of the GMC, UK medical board legislations ect

as for the interview its very similar to a UK uni one from what I rmb last year I was asked an ethics question(s), importance of research in medicine + examples, examples of leadership, work experience, why medicine ect.. dw they just want to know you as a person

this degree is accepted in the UK, and in fact since its an MD it has more 'power' over the british degree as it means you can also work in other european countries + america ect ect

Also are you an international student (not from the UK)?? What is the lifestyle like in Cyprus ?? Also can you straight away for for residency after finishing the program?? Because it says on their prospectus that we can, so can you please tell me a bit more about that ??
Nope i am an EU student, you can apply to any country in EU for residency dependent on language and some countries may require the USMLE/their own specific exam, you can apply to match in the US provided you do the USMLE or go work in the UK as an F2.

Obviosuly you can also go for residency outside the EU e.g. asia ect but might have to take a registration exam dependent on your country
Original post by Maltese Falcon
Aren't you worried about having to gain clinical experience in Cyprus (where you'd have to know Greek to understand and communicate with patients) if there aren't enough places in Barnsley Hospital?

Most people here speak english and as for greek you are provided free optional lessons if you do want to learn it, however, once you are in 4th year you are given a booklet with the most used terms in hospital as well as in each rotation you will also have a translator if there were to be a patient who cant/chooses not to speak english.
Hello :smile:

4th Year MD student at University of Nicosia. Studied my bachelors in the UK at Coventry University.

All the free time due to the lockdown - so i'm here to assist you guys and answer your questions if you have any.

As to the initial post - if you are worried about 6 years, but okay with 5 years... could you not somehow convince yourself that an extra year of studies is not that bad?

Keeping in mind, when you do graduate from the 6 year programme at the university you start to work as an FY2 Doctor in the UK and not as FY1. So if you do the math, its basically the same thing.
Original post by Maltese Falcon

I barely understand greek and it is not a problem for me thus far. Some Drs are amazing and really do translate all the crucial bits. However, there are some drs that don't and its upto you to start picking up some keywords.

If anything, it kind of makes me more aware of the body language and facial expressions of the patient. i focus super hard on where they are pointing, are they saying they have pain etc etc..

We get taught how to speak to patients and carry out examinations from Year 2 .. and being in year 4 i am very comfortable with pateints now regardless of whether they speak english or not.
When i do move to the UK to work, i genuinely do think i will have an advantage over other students because yes i speak english but now i have been basically reading peoples body languages as well and it will just help me in aiding a better diagnosis etc
Also are you an international student (not from the UK)?? What is the lifestyle like in Cyprus ?? Also can you straight away for for residency after finishing the program?? Because it says on their prospectus that we can, so can you please tell me a bit more about that ??

Lifestyle is super chill. Relaxed. its like if you were studying in some of teh quite cities in the UK. Like Coventry or Kent..

As @fionawilliams99 said - if you plan on going to the US, you sit your USMLE exam by year 5/6 and then apply for residency in the US - keeping in mind that in the US they give priority to US citizens and US IMG students first.

As for the UK, you apply through the GMC and you apply as a FY2 doctor and not FY1. Because we have 4 years of clinical training and that is deemed enough by the GMC to work as an FY2 doctor.
Original post by theIVlineYT
Lifestyle is super chill. Relaxed. its like if you were studying in some of teh quite cities in the UK. Like Coventry or Kent..

As @fionawilliams99 said - if you plan on going to the US, you sit your USMLE exam by year 5/6 and then apply for residency in the US - keeping in mind that in the US they give priority to US citizens and US IMG students first.

As for the UK, you apply through the GMC and you apply as a FY2 doctor and not FY1. Because we have 4 years of clinical training and that is deemed enough by the GMC to work as an FY2 doctor.

do the teachers speak good English? also how much does the living cost ??
Original post by theIVlineYT

also what is the study style like?? are students divided into small groups and then taught?? or is it a mass study??

Quick Reply

Latest