The Student Room Group

I received an offer from ucl and I want to drop one of the subject

The offer I received from UCL was A*AA including Physics and Mathematics.
I applied for Mechanical Engineering.

I take Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Biology and got a predicted grade of A*A*AC respectively. As my offer only requires 3 subjects and as I suck at biology, ( honestly I've tried, I always spend twice as much time on Bio compared to any other subjects) I would like to drop Biology.

I asked my career teacher if I could drop biology, and she told me to check with the university as they might have given me the offer based on me taking 4 subjects. So I emailed UCL and Warwick(my insurance). I received an email from Warwick that dropping biology would not affect my offer. However, it's taking weeks for UCL to reply. I even tried calling them and none of them were available.

If I have to take biology, I'll have to apply for my exams(which will not take place, but I will have to pay for it to get a predicted grade). Was anyone in a similar situation as I'm in?? I'm so anxious about it so I'm asking here for some confirmation
Reply 1
Original post by spacestar

I take Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Biology and got a predicted grade of A*A*AC respectively. As my offer only requires 3 subjects and as I suck at biology, ( honestly I've tried, I always spend twice as much time on Bio compared to any other subjects) I would like to drop Biology.

I asked my career teacher if I could drop biology, and she told me to check with the university as they might have given me the offer based on me taking 4 subjects. So I emailed UCL and Warwick(my insurance). I received an email from Warwick that dropping biology would not affect my offer. However, it's taking weeks for UCL to reply. I even tried calling them and none of them were available.

If I have to take biology, I'll have to apply for my exams(which will not take place, but I will have to pay for it to get a predicted grade). Was anyone in a similar situation as I'm in?? I'm so anxious about it so I'm asking here for some confirmation

Did you try calling UCL admission office?
Reply 2
Original post by Medikj
Did you try calling UCL admission office?

Yeah I did, they're not replying.
I'll probably try tomorrow as well
Reply 3
Yeah I did, they're not replying.
I'll probably try tomorrow as well

I understand you need a reply as soon as possible, but I would wait and hear from them directly before you make any decision. The only ones who can give you correct information are the staff at UCL, I wouldn’t risk it. Don’t they have social media pages for students to chat with them and ask questions? (On twitter or facebook or somewhere else?)
They’re probably taking a lot of time because of the coronavirus mess, I hope you are able to get in touch!

You need UCL's agreement to hold the offer despite the change in your examination requirements. It's common for students to drop one subject to concentrate on their remaining three on which the offer is based, but you mustn't assume that UCL will just wave this through.

Things do take longer at the moment. You might just have to register for the biology examination to be on the safe side, even if you subsequently don't have to take it.

Quick Reply

Latest