The Student Room Group

Daphnia heart rate Practical

Hey
So I've done a practical on investigating the effect of different concentrations of ethanol on heart rate of daphnia magna.
I have results of 5 different concentrations.
Would a statistical test be applied, if yes which one and how?

Thank Youuuuu
Original post by hina5701
Hey
So I've done a practical on investigating the effect of different concentrations of ethanol on heart rate of daphnia magna.
I have results of 5 different concentrations.
Would a statistical test be applied, if yes which one and how?

Thank Youuuuu

First off, what are the statistical tests you know of :hmmmm:
Reply 2
Original post by lyer_in_hellfyre
First off, what are the statistical tests you know of :hmmmm:

standard deviation
t-tests
chi-squared tests
standard deviation
t-tests
chi-squared tests

Standard deviation wouldnt be classed into statistical test but yep other two you've mentioned are

Chi square test - its used to see how close are experimental results to the expected results (frequently used in genetics related question )

Student's T-test - is used to compare two sets of data which are normally distributed. ( eg: surface area of leaves in shady and light conditions)

Spearman's correlation coefficient : test the strength of correlation between two variables ( eg correlation between aggression and testosterone levels )

Out of the three, which do you think is suitable?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
That's what i am struggling with. I dont have 2 variable's as I have used 5 different concentrations of ethanol rather than two. So would a statistical test be applied or not? I'm not sure how to do it with 5.
Reply 5
Standard deviation wouldnt be classed into statistical test but yep other two you've mentioned are

Chi square test - its used to see how close are experimental results to the expected results (frequently used in genetics related question )

Student's T-test - is used to compare two sets of data which are normally distributed. ( eg: surface area of leaves in shady and light conditions)

Spearman's correlation coefficient : test the strength of correlation between two variables ( eg correlation between aggression and testosterone levels )

Out of the three, which do you think is suitable?

That's what i am struggling with. I dont have 2 variable's as I have used 5 different concentrations of ethanol rather than two. So would a statistical test be applied or not? I'm not sure how to do it with 5.

Do you think if I was to get expected data for these concentration i'd be able to do the chi-squared test?

Do you think if I was to get expected data for these concentration i'd be able to do the chi-squared test?

Ah but you've got two variables the concentration of ethanol and the heart rate of Daphnia.
The different concentrations of ethanol all are under one indepent variable : concentration of ethanol

Certainly not chi square since we havent got expected results...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Ah but you've got two variables the concentration of ethanol and the heart rate of Daphnia.
The different concentrations of ethanol all are under one indepent variable : concentration of ethanol

Certainly not chi square since we havent got expected results...

oooh I see, so would I carry out the spearman's correlation test? to see the strength between the relationship? As conc. of ethanol increases, the heart rate decreases. so the value would determine the strength of correlation, there fore supporting my hypothesis?
oooh I see, so would I carry out the spearman's correlation test? to see the strength between the relationship? As conc. of ethanol increases, the heart rate decreases. so the value would determine the strength of correlation, there fore supporting my hypothesis?

Aye yepp :yy: :smile:
Reply 9
aye yepp :yy: :smile:

omgggg thank you so muchhhh!!!

Spoiler

omgggg thank you so muchhhh!!!

Spoiler

Glad to help :smile: its tricky and yep ive struggled w/ it it too but once we practice examples for we get an idea :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Glad to help :smile: its tricky and yep ive struggled w/ it it too but once we practice examples for we get an idea :smile:

True, your help was appreciated a lot :smile: definitely would ask you again if I need anything. Thank you once againnn. :biggrin:
True, your help was appreciated a lot :smile: definitely would ask you again if I need anything. Thank you once againnn. :biggrin:

Cheers :yy: Let's help each other :biggrin:
Reply 13
Cheers :yy: Let's help each other :biggrin:

Coolio
Reply 14

How would you do the spearman’s correlation if you have five results for each ethanol concentration? Do you use the means?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending