The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham Accommodation

Hi, so I´m going to the university of birmingham this autumn and I was wondering how the selection process of accomodation works. I know its done randomly but I dont know how, like how many choices can I put.
I have made 4 choices:
Jarrat hall
Elgar Court
Aitken
Shakleton
Also does anyone know how does adding the meal plan to an acomodation?? Like what would the price be for the total year.
Reply 1
When you receive an offer, you should also receive a link to the accommodation portal where you can rank your accommodation choices. I'm not exactly sure how you would add meal plan to your accommodation, but I know there is definitely the option to.
I was on meal plan this year and whilst I can't give an exact figure, I think I paid around £1700. I'd definitely recommend it, its an absolute lifesaver - I went to uni expecting to cook once a week at least, probably cooked about 6/7 times my entire first year. Aitken and Shackleton both already have meal plan attached - you get meal plan there whether you opt in or not. Jarratt Hall doesn't have meal plan and is in Selly Oak so I wouldn't recommend getting meal plan there because that's based in Selly Oak and all of the main meal plan places - especially for dinner, like The Melt or Infusion, are on the Vale, which is roughly a 25 minute walk away. Elgar Court is on the Vale, but doesn't automatically include meal plan - as I said before there is the option to add it.
From what I remember in the accommodation application process you can choose six accommodation options, put them in order, and the University will do their best to give you one of your higher choices. If you want to attach meal plan, I would recommend applying for accommodation in the Vale as the locations are a lot easier to reach.

Hope this helped!
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by lucydm
When you receive an offer, you should also receive a link to the accommodation portal where you can rank your accommodation choices. I'm not exactly sure how you would add meal plan to your accommodation, but I know there is definitely the option to.
I was on meal plan this year and whilst I can't give an exact figure, I think I paid around £1700. I'd definitely recommend it, its an absolute lifesaver - I went to uni expecting to cook once a week at least, probably cooked about 6/7 times my entire first year. Aitken and Shackleton both already have meal plan attached - you get meal plan there whether you opt in or not. Jarratt Hall doesn't have meal plan and is in Selly Oak so I wouldn't recommend getting meal plan there because that's based in Selly Oak and all of the main meal plan places - especially for dinner, like The Melt or Infusion, are on the Vale, which is roughly a 25 minute walk away. Elgar Court is on the Vale, but doesn't automatically include meal plan - as I said before there is the option to add it.
From what I remember in the accommodation application process you can choose six accommodation options, put them in order, and the University will do their best to give you one of your higher choices. If you want to attach meal plan, I would recommend applying for accommodation in the Vale as the locations are a lot easier to reach.

Hope this helped!

Hi! This has really eased my mind, thank you so much for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending