The Student Room Group

UCD vs Warwick vs Edinburgh vs Bath

Hi,I have offers for an MSc Management in UCD, Warwick, Edinburgh and Bath. I am really confused because these all are really good universities. I have read a lot of articles and that has caused a lot more confusion. Rankings wise they all are good for the course. So now I want to see other factors like % of international students, living expenses, part time availability of jobs while I am studying because I have big financial constraints. All of my fees is to be covered by loan... Also post study placements and jobs, international stature of the university so that when I come back to India the degree Is equally reputable. I have to make this decision within two weeks. So..Please help!!
Warwick >Edinburgh> Bath. ( I dont know what UCD is)
Original post by heythereitsmee
Warwick >Edinburgh> Bath. ( I dont know what UCD is)

University College Dublin.

I would say pick Warwick for exit opportunities
All the others are basically equal no 2, prestige/careers wise.
Original post by sonakshi.sharma
Hi,I have offers for an MSc Management in UCD, Warwick, Edinburgh and Bath. I am really confused because these all are really good universities. I have read a lot of articles and that has caused a lot more confusion. Rankings wise they all are good for the course. So now I want to see other factors like % of international students, living expenses, part time availability of jobs while I am studying because I have big financial constraints. All of my fees is to be covered by loan... Also post study placements and jobs, international stature of the university so that when I come back to India the degree Is equally reputable. I have to make this decision within two weeks. So..Please help!!

Hello @sonakshi.sharma

Congratulations on all of your offers! It can be really difficult to narrow down your choices and make a decision so if there is anything in particular you are unsure of or would like to know more about please don't hesitate to ask me :smile:

With regards to your question about part-time jobs most of our postgraduate students tend to live off-campus in the nearby areas of Leamington Spa or Coventry which also have lots of opportunities for you to apply for part-time job opportunities. We also have shops, restaurants, bars, cafes, the Sports and Wellness Hub, Warwick Arts Centre and the Students Union on campus which also offer job opportunities to Warwick students. We don't usually recommend postgraduate students to take on part-time work due to the intensity of your academic studies, however if you feel you are able to balance your studies alongside a part-time role then this could be an option you choose to pursue.

You may want to check out the following web page which will be able to provide you with a guide to your living expenses as a postgraduate student: ]https://warwick.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/funding/livingcosts]

You may also be interested in registering for our MSc Student Experience webinar on Monday 11 May where you will be able to hear from several of our current MSc students talk about their experience of studying at WBS. You will able to find out more about the content of our MSc courses, but also equally important things including accommodation availability, societies and sports clubs on campus, and the social life of MSc students at WBS. If you would like to find out more or register your interest you can do so here - https://www.wbs.ac.uk/events/view/6446

Francesca :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Thanks Francesca

Original post by Warwick Business School
Hello @sonakshi.sharma

Congratulations on all of your offers! It can be really difficult to narrow down your choices and make a decision so if there is anything in particular either of you are unsure of or would like to know more about please don't hesitate to ask me :smile:

With regards to your question about part-time jobs most of our postgraduate students tend to live off-campus in the nearby areas of Leamington Spa or Coventry which also have lots of opportunities for you to apply for part-time job opportunities. We also have shops, restaurants, bars, cafes, the Sports and Wellness Hub, Warwick Arts Centre and the Students Union on campus which also offer job opportunities to Warwick students. We don't usually recommend postgraduate students to take on part-time work due to the intensity of your academic studies, however if you feel you are able to balance your studies alongside a part-time role then this could be an option you choose to pursue.

You may want to check out the following web page which will be able to provide you with a guide to your living expenses as a postgraduate student: ]https://warwick.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/funding/livingcosts]

You may also be interested in registering for our MSc Student Experience webinar on Monday 11 May where you will be able to hear from several of our current MSc students talk about their experience of studying at WBS. You will able to find out more about the content of our MSc courses, but also equally important things including accommodation availability, societies and sports clubs on campus, and the social life of MSc students at WBS. If you would like to find out more or register your interest you can do so here - https://www.wbs.ac.uk/events/view/6446

Francesca :smile:

Hi Francesca,
Thanks a lot for the reply. I would really love to be a part of WBS. It's my first pick amongst all other offers. Can you please also let me know the employability stats of the international students that took Msc management for the last two years..what percentage were employed in UK within 6 months of passing out, and in what areas/companies.?
Is Warwick planning to delay the intake for 2020?
Thanks Francesca

Hi Francesca,
Thanks a lot for the reply. I would really love to be a part of WBS. It's my first pick amongst all other offers. Can you please also let me know the employability stats of the international students that took Msc management for the last two years..what percentage were employed in UK within 6 months of passing out, and in what areas/companies.?
Is Warwick planning to delay the intake for 2020?

Hello @sonakshi.sharma

That's great that WBS is your first choice! :smile:

With regards to our employability stats you may want to check out our Graduate Destinations Report which will show you the different sectors our MSc Management graduates are now working in and the types of roles that they are employed in. This is the most up to date stats that we currently have you can find a link to the report here: https://www.wbs.ac.uk/wbs2012/assets/PDF/downloads/postgraduate/Graduate%20Destinations%20brochure%20-%20Management%20portfolio.pdf

You could also contact our Careers Team who may be able to provide you with some more detailed information you can contact them via email [email protected]

At the moment there are no plans to delay the intake for students starting in 2020 but as the current situation with COVID-19 evolves we will be keeping our offer-holders updated with any changes to our current position.

I hope that helps :smile:
Francesca

Hi @sonakshi.sharma

Congratulations on receiving an offer from the University of Bath! I've really enjoyed my time here so far as part of management school, the lecturers and support from them has been fantastic and I feel the course content has prepared me very well to start my career, so I'm sure you won't regret it if you decide to come here!

While I do not know the exact figures for percentage of international students, from my experience and speaking to lecturers I'd estimate around 75% of the students in the school of management are international. As for graduate employability stats, those can be found here: MSc Management Graduate Career Destinations. It is worth mentioning that the careers service at Bath has been absolutely fantastic and provide many opportunities and resources to help network, work on CVs, practice video/face to face interviews, assessment centres and anything else that you could possibly need. They send regular updates on new opportunitires for students both at the university and otherwise, as well as advertising releveant job opportunites. On top of this they are incredibly friendly and approachable!

Unfortunately, while Bath is a beautiful city with a rich history, it is quite expensive, with some of the most expensive student accommodation in the country. There are plenty of part time work opportunities both through the university itself (cashier, bar staff, postgraduate ambassador etc) and in town (due to Bath having two universities students part time jobs are easily available) and I've not found it difficuly to balance part time work with my studies. It won't necessarily be easy to cover everything through loans and part time work but it is definitely possible!

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Ollie
MSc Engineering Business Management

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending