The Student Room Group

What are the best GCSE's for Architecture

I an interested in studying architecture in the future. My school allows me to take four extra GCSE subjects on top of the six mandatory ones (maths, chemistry, physics, biology, English literature, and English language).

Which subjects should i take?

I definitely want to take history and Spanish at GCSE so that leaves two extra subjects. I want these two extra GCSE's to be in subjects that will prepare me for a - levels related to architecture.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by Joshuah0123
I an interested in studying architecture in the future. My school allows me to take four extra GCSE subjects on top of the six mandatory ones (maths, chemistry, physics, biology, English literature, and English language).

Which subjects should i take?

I definitely want to take history and Spanish at GCSE so that leaves two extra subjects. I want these two extra GCSE's to be in subjects that will prepare me for a - levels related to architecture.

Thanks in advance!

Would art not be a good option?
Reply 2
Original post by Pugglet
Would art not be a good option?

I would definitely look into taking art but I was wondering if more design based subjects such as design and technology would be better. If I took art and Design and technology, would the workload be too much?
Any other sort of science-related subjects would be good (maybe see if there are any extra maths things you can be doing? Or physics but they're harder to come by) and then probably art. As a rule of thumb, Oxbridge generally have the harshest entry requirements with regards to subjects taken at A level or equivalent, so looking at those subjects and ensuring you would be able to take them at your college/sixth form with specific GCSEs might be a good idea. At Cambridge (Oxford doesn't offer architecture) some (not all) colleges requires maths, physics and/or an essay-based subject, as well as stating that art is preferred over DT (eg graphics) though neither is required for admission. Obviously you already have to take maths and physics, and you're taking history and English. I would then take art, and one other subject you enjoy (this can be anything, especially since your other options are brilliant). In terms of applying to university courses and jobs, no one will care what GCSEs you take, solely the grades you achieve (and even then they'll be more focussed on recent achievements). Your subjects only matter when picking A level subjects, and very require an option subject (eg at most colleges you can do history/geography without the GCSE). Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
I would definitely look into taking art but I was wondering if more design based subjects such as design and technology would be better. If I took art and Design and technology, would the workload be too much?

No idea tbh.
I just know my friend who does architecture took art

Not my area of knowledge unfortunately sorry
Reply 5
Original post by apolaroidofus
Any other sort of science-related subjects would be good (maybe see if there are any extra maths things you can be doing? Or physics but they're harder to come by) and then probably art. As a rule of thumb, Oxbridge generally have the harshest entry requirements with regards to subjects taken at A level or equivalent, so looking at those subjects and ensuring you would be able to take them at your college/sixth form with specific GCSEs might be a good idea. At Cambridge (Oxford doesn't offer architecture) some (not all) colleges requires maths, physics and/or an essay-based subject, as well as stating that art is preferred over DT (eg graphics) though neither is required for admission. Obviously you already have to take maths and physics, and you're taking history and English. I would then take art, and one other subject you enjoy (this can be anything, especially since your other options are brilliant). In terms of applying to university courses and jobs, no one will care what GCSEs you take, solely the grades you achieve (and even then they'll be more focussed on recent achievements). Your subjects only matter when picking A level subjects, and very require an option subject (eg at most colleges you can do history/geography without the GCSE). Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks you sooo much! This was really helpful. I think that I'm going to choose art and business studies for my extra GCSE subjects. My school also offers astronomy as an extracurricular activity that takes place after school once a week and eventually leads to a GCSE in it so I might try that out.

Thanks again!
Definitely recommend taking art&design. I work in a civil engineering firm that has an architectural team and the two industries are really closely integrated together, the ability for someone to sketch/draw definitely helps in architecture. Art GCSE you can usually make your own, you can turn the topics on their heads and morphe into your own style. It's really good to be able to demonstrate creativity in that way rather then doing DT and being relatively limited in what you can achieve. Good luck! I loved art GCSE:smile:
I recommend Art and DT as what you do links to architecture and you could do your work based on architecture (but for art, you need to experiment further mediums and materials + it will be hard to figure out an idea for architecture at this stage so i wouldnt worry if you dont do so). Most sixth form/ colleges need Art gcse and DT gcse if you want to do an A level in it so its best to do those A levels for creativity. Since you already have the science subjects, you will be fine in choosing your A levels because architecture is also a science involved course but i wouldnt worry about that now since what GCSE subjects you do dont matter until you choose your A levels so I recommend those two gcses to keep your options open and help you improve creatively

I took history, french, DT and Art for my optional options (although french was forced to me but I would've chosen it anyway apart from sport or media). Honestly the workload isnt too much if you actually do the work in class. A lot of people say the workload is so much because they dont use their time effectively in school as it's very easy to mess around in lessons, especially art (I remember gossiping a lot there); if the workload was to increase, it would be at the end of the coursework section as you need to get everything together (which I had no problem with because I was organised and I did stuff unlike my friend who annoyed me because she didnt do any work and complained about it for most of the coursework year).
Seems a lot is being said here. I can confirm that admissions (those who look at applicants portfolios) value Art above any other subject, primarily as it teaches the fundamentals of process, exploration and critical thinking.
Design is also a good subject (aka graphics) I think it develops very useful skillsets, however, admissions tutors prefer art applicants.
Best three subjects at A-level to study for architecture are: Art, Physics and Maths. If art is not an option (which was the situation for me), DT is the next best (it is also a bit less stress-filled).
Ultimately the portfolio matters most, so a really strong portfolio can bypass most of the requirements/ subject recommendations. However, that is very risky.
If you feel like you require extra skillsets before studying Architecture, I highly recommend you then do a year of Art Foundation or Art and Design Foundation.

I used to mentor architecture students and I occasionally give public talks on applying to University/ architecture jobs for fresh graduates. So I have some experience in this area.

Hope that helps!

If you you have further questions, please feel free to send a message.
(edited 3 years ago)

I would suggest DT over art for architecture. Two of my friends want to be architects and they are both taking DT as their subject.
Original post by evolvingarch
Seems a lot is being said here. I can confirm that admissions (those who look at applicants portfolios) value Art above any other subject, primarily as it teaches the fundamentals of process, exploration and critical thinking.
Design is also a good subject (aka graphics) I think it develops very useful skillsets, however, admissions tutors prefer art applicants.
Best three subjects at A-level to study for architecture are: Art, Physics and Maths. If art is not an option (which was the situation for me), DT is the next best (it is also a bit less stress-filled).
Ultimately the portfolio matters most, so a really strong portfolio can bypass most of the requirements/ subject recommendations. However, that is very risky.
If you feel like you require extra skillsets before studying Architecture, I highly recommend you then do a year of Art Foundation or Art and Design Foundation.

I used to mentor architecture students and I occasionally give public talks on applying to University/ architecture jobs for fresh graduates. So I have some experience in this area.

Hope that helps!

If you you have further questions, please feel free to send a message.

Hi evolvingarch

I am mum to a 15 year old who is keen to study architecture.

It would be great to be able to speak with you.

Take care,
Ruth
Original post by mamadoctorruth
Hi evolvingarch

I am mum to a 15 year old who is keen to study architecture.

It would be great to be able to speak with you.

Take care,
Ruth

Hello Ruth, if you send a private message on here. I would be more than happy to answer any queries you have.
im also wanna be an architect and i have to pick my subjects this year we have 2 compulsory subjects which is math and english i was looking to pick DT and physics and maybe IT im not sure for any other 2 subjects if anyone could pls try and help to whereas and what subjects to pick
Original post by pradyot_tomar
im also wanna be an architect and i have to pick my subjects this year we have 2 compulsory subjects which is math and english i was looking to pick DT and physics and maybe IT im not sure for any other 2 subjects if anyone could pls try and help to whereas and what subjects to pick

Pick a broad range of subjects so that you keep your options open if you change your mind about your future career. Ideally maths, English, physics, chemistry, biology, humanities (geography or history), and a creative subject such as art or dt. As part of the application process for university, you will be asked to submit a portfolio of your creative work so a creative subject is very important.

Quick Reply

Latest