The Student Room Group

Not sure which bank to create a student account with

How do I know which bank or building society to choose? Does it even matter which one I choose?

Scroll to see replies

i went for the one with the best student deal, which in this case was an hsbc account with a free year of amazon prime and £100 voucher, because i only closed it anyway
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
i went for the one with the best student deal, which in this case was an hsbc account with a free year of amazon prime and £100 voucher, because i only closed it anyway

I see. That sounds lit. By the way, can you tell me what fee-free overdraft means?
Original post by Toscana
I see. That sounds lit. By the way, can you tell me what fee-free overdraft means?

I went with HSBC as well, i cant fault the service and their mobile app is very good
Fee free means that you wont be charged interest if you dip into your overdraft i.e the amount you pay back is the amount you took out. My student overdraft is/was £1000 i think :smile:
Original post by Toscana

normal bank accounts go as low as £0 balance, (try) to spend more than that and you'll get charged a relatively big fee or the payment will fail

with an overdraft of £x, you can go to £-x without the fee or the payment failing, usually indefinitely - i've run an overdraft for at least a month without any issues
Reply 5
Original post by CoolCavy
I went with HSBC as well, i cant fault the service and their mobile app is very good
Fee free means that you wont be charged interest if you dip into your overdraft i.e the amount you pay back is the amount you took out. My student overdraft is/was £1000 i think :smile:

Wait, will I be charged for having a student bank account or something? Or is it free to have a student bank account? Sorry I’m a little lost 😅
Reply 6
normal bank accounts go as low as £0 balance, (try) to spend more than that and you'll get charged a relatively big fee or the payment will fail

with an overdraft of £x, you can go to £-x without the fee or the payment failing, usually indefinitely - i've run an overdraft for at least a month without any issues

So, as far as I know, you only have a student bank account so you can get the maintenance and student tuition loans right? Am I missing something? Sorry lol
Original post by Toscana
Wait, will I be charged for having a student bank account or something? Or is it free to have a student bank account? Sorry I’m a little lost 😅

No no you wont be charged, an overdraft is basically emergency money you can get from a bank if you run out. For all overdrafts now you need to pay back interest on what you borrowed with the exception being student bank accounts. It means if you need an emergency £10 or something you can dip into it without having to pay back say £20
Reply 8
Original post by CoolCavy
No no you wont be charged, an overdraft is basically emergency money you can get from a bank if you run out. For all overdrafts now you need to pay back interest on what you borrowed with the exception being student bank accounts. It means if you need an emergency £10 or something you can dip into it without having to pay back say £20

Ohhh thank you (: I thought the only money that you get sent to this account is by the government or smth for maintenance loans and tuition loans right? So you shouldn’t overspend if that’s the case?
Original post by Toscana
So, as far as I know, you only have a student bank account so you can get the maintenance and student tuition loans right? Am I missing something? Sorry lol

no any student can have one for personal use, until they stop being a student. alternatively you can get your maintenance loan paid into a normal account, it doesn't matter

you can only have one student account though
Reply 10
no any student can have one for personal use, until they stop being a student. alternatively you can get your maintenance loan paid into a normal account, it doesn't matter

you can only have one student account though

Do you just use the student bank account as your normal one then? I already have an account with 2 different banks. Should I stop using one of them and use student account as my main one?
A lot of people went for Santander so that's the one I chose in the end. Just look at the interest rates, overdraft and what benefits are offered.
Original post by Toscana
Do you just use the student bank account as your normal one then? I already have an account with 2 different banks. Should I stop using one of them and use student account as my main one?

personal preference

no i closed my student account because it's not especially helpful and i just wanted the free stuff from it
Original post by Toscana

I moved my savings account to Santander (the one I have my student account in) just so it's easier to manage. (don't need to flick between two online banking platforms if i need to transfer money across etc.)
Reply 14
personal preference

no i closed my student account because it's not especially helpful and i just wanted the free stuff from it

So let me get this straight. The differences between a normal bank account and a student one are:

- Freebies
- Fee free overdraft
- tuition and maintenance loans

Is this correct? I heard you will have to pay everything back immediately if you don’t have a student bank account
Reply 15
Original post by _gcx
I moved my savings account to Santander (the one I have my student account in) just so it's easier to manage. (don't need to flick between two online banking platforms if i need to transfer money across etc.)

Oh yeah i could do that
How did u manage to open a student account before results day? I tried to open one with Santander but they said i gotta wait till results day. Also my current bank tsb went from a normal to a student account automatically even tho I haven’t started uni yet, does that mean I can’t open a student account with another bank since I really wanted to open one with Santander
I made one with Santander
Reply 18
Original post by Misaki24
How did u manage to open a student account before results day? I tried to open one with Santander but they said i gotta wait till results day. Also my current bank tsb went from a normal to a student account automatically even tho I haven’t started uni yet, does that mean I can’t open a student account with another bank since I really wanted to open one with Santander

I haven’t opened one yet unless you’re talking to the other folks
Original post by Toscana
So let me get this straight. The differences between a normal bank account and a student one are:

- Freebies
- Fee free overdraft
- tuition and maintenance loans

Is this correct? I heard you will have to pay everything back immediately if you don’t have a student bank account

freebies and the free overdraft are promos the banks run to entice you, they're no guarantee (although pretty common)
you don't need one for anything loan related - any bank account will do; tuition loan is sent straight to university

nothing about paying it back immediately is true (that's not a very good loan is it!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending