The Student Room Group

should i apply to more than one sixth form and wjec criminology advice

ok so ive applied to the sixth form closest to where i live to do english language,geography,sociology and business but should i also apply to the sixth form college just in case they also offer WJEC criminology which id love to study???
opinions and thoughts please
also advice for criminology is it worth it???
thank you
Original post by emily.g34
ok so ive applied to the sixth form closest to where i live to do english language,geography,sociology and business but should i also apply to the sixth form college just in case they also offer WJEC criminology which id love to study???
opinions and thoughts please
also advice for criminology is it worth it???
thank you

I've applied for 3 places to study for year 12: 2 colleges and a sixth form. I'll be honest I still haven't decided where I'm going to go but I do like the fact that it gives me options and time to choose/ decide which one I like the most and which is best for me. My advice would be to apply to other places for study IF you like them/ can see yourself there but also if they offer the subjects/courses you like: such as the criminology one. Have a look at the college's website and a prospectus (if you have one) to see if they offer the course but also think about the combo of subjects you'd pair it with. Then you can take some time to research and decide whether or not criminology is worth it {If it genuinely interests you and you know you'll enjoy it, go for it!}. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice regarding criminology courses as I've decided on 3 facilitating A-levels (to widen future opportunities/ career choices). But if you like the subjects you study, you're more likely to do better in them! Overall, I'd say do your research and decide which feels best suited for you. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by carxlinefxrbes_
I've applied for 3 places to study for year 12: 2 colleges and a sixth form. I'll be honest I still haven't decided where I'm going to go but I do like the fact that it gives me options and time to choose/ decide which one I like the most and which is best for me. My advice would be to apply to other places for study IF you like them/ can see yourself there but also if they offer the subjects/courses you like: such as the criminology one. Have a look at the college's website and a prospectus (if you have one) to see if they offer the course but also think about the combo of subjects you'd pair it with. Then you can take some time to research and decide whether or not criminology is worth it {If it genuinely interests you and you know you'll enjoy it, go for it!}. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice regarding criminology courses as I've decided on 3 facilitating A-levels (to widen future opportunities/ career choices). But if you like the subjects you study, you're more likely to do better in them! Overall, I'd say do your research and decide which feels best suited for you. :smile:

Thanks thats some really good advice, in the future i either want to study journalism or criminology or a joint degree, therefore i definitely want to study English and sociology but i dont know whether to do geography or criminology for alevel. I got my highest mock grade in geography for my gcses and it was my favourite subject. so im a bit unsure

anyway your advice was helpful thank you
Original post by emily.g34
Thanks thats some really good advice, in the future i either want to study journalism or criminology or a joint degree, therefore i definitely want to study English and sociology but i dont know whether to do geography or criminology for alevel. I got my highest mock grade in geography for my gcses and it was my favourite subject. so im a bit unsure

anyway your advice was helpful thank you

I'm thinking about journalism as well so I'm studying English Language. Just thought I would reply back to say that I am fairly certain that no universities ask for criminology A-level to study a degree in criminology, they'd probably much prefer something like sociology/psychology etc... and a writing subject (Eng lang) always helps. If geography was your favourite subject at GCSE then I'd recommend doing some research into the A-level course (if you haven't already) and seeing if you enjoy the content (I'd recommend this for all your A-level choices though). You never know, you might enjoy geography so much at A-level and decide to go into a geography-based career or it could even merge with journalism! When I was deciding A-levels, a lot of people have told me to do subjects I enjoy whilst also being wary of course entry requirements for possible uni degrees I want to study. For me, I looked at the uni degrees that interested me and then worked backwards from there! If you're interested in going to university, I'd recommend doing English language, sociology and geography (or business) as geog and eng lang are facilitating subjects. (This is just what I'd choose it doesn't mean it's the best option for you personally) Just as a word of advice, I've been told consistently on TSR that four A-levels can be too much and it is much better to do three (uni's only ever ask for 3 a-levels) and get good grades in them but once again, it's your choice {you could also start with four and then drop down to three if it is too much}. If you didn't take the criminology course but still wanted to keep that path open you could always do work experience based around it! The key is to research the uni courses and their requirements. But once again it's your choice that should be a mix of what you enjoy and what you need; as someone previously told me, there's no use pushing through two years of subjects you hate! Hope this helps! :smile:

(Also this website is good for searching A-level combos and related degrees that previous people have taken https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer )
You can apply to multiple sixth forms and decide later which is for you. I would be wary of WJEC criminology as the exam board doesn't have great resources than your first option tbh - it's very finite resources. I recommend your first option because it will open more options for you but if its something you want to pursue, totally go for criminology (but be wary as btecs need to be relevant when applying to uni courses, it you want to go to uni)

Quick Reply

Latest