The Student Room Group

A-level choices

So I have been told by my school that if i feel like taking 4 subjects for a-level i am more than capable and I decided to go ahead with it.
I chose:

1-chemistry
2-biology
3-maths
4-economics

does anyone have any ideas or tips that could help me prepare for possibly September?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by macy_m
So I have been told by my school that if i feel like taking 4 subjects for a-level i am more than capable and I decided to go ahead with it.
I chose:

1-chemistry
2-biology
3-maths
4-economics

does anyone have any ideas or tips that could help me prepare for possibly September?

Don't take those four - it will compromise your grades, and not offer any advantage for university entrance. Only take the three that interest you most, unless you're doing Maths + FM.
Have you finish the GCSE content and strengthen it as much as you can first? Do you understand the topics confidentially?
Nice set of A-levels there! I'm doing Politics, Economics, Maths and Drama atm. Don't get me wrong, it's tough but so is doing 3, so you should be fine on that front, it's not as much extra as people often make out. However if you do struggle and feel a subject is weighing you down, you have the luxury of dropping that subject at any time.

I'd just say get used to working and studying effectively. Try to do whatever possible to streamline your studying and making it more efficient. I wish I had worked in this. I was one of those people who really didn't study very much for GCSEs, nor know how to study well. Year 12 was not the best time to begin to learn that so that's something that if you don't have down, you should really work on.

But also try to remember now that life is not all about studying. Sixth form is definitely something to experience, not just to go through. There's so much to learn before uni and especially if you go to a college seperate from your secondary, this will be a very social experience, getting on with people and making friends is very important for almost whatever you wish to progress into. This time is when you develop so much and become your own person, not all the lessons there are to learn are academic. So balance your life and make the most of your next 2 years.
Reply 4
Original post by Possibly this
Nice set of A-levels there! I'm doing Politics, Economics, Maths and Drama atm. Don't get me wrong, it's tough but so is doing 3, so you should be fine on that front, it's not as much extra as people often make out. However if you do struggle and feel a subject is weighing you down, you have the luxury of dropping that subject at any time.

I'd just say get used to working and studying effectively. Try to do whatever possible to streamline your studying and making it more efficient. I wish I had worked in this. I was one of those people who really didn't study very much for GCSEs, nor know how to study well. Year 12 was not the best time to begin to learn that so that's something that if you don't have down, you should really work on.

But also try to remember now that life is not all about studying. Sixth form is definitely something to experience, not just to go through. There's so much to learn before uni and especially if you go to a college seperate from your secondary, this will be a very social experience, getting on with people and making friends is very important for almost whatever you wish to progress into. This time is when you develop so much and become your own person, not all the lessons there are to learn are academic. So balance your life and make the most of your next 2 years.

thank you so much! I can relate to you about gcse's as if actually sat them this year i would've only started revising in late april (it's my fault as i also struggle with revising) but hopefully i'll get all my 9's and 8's :smile: I will use your advice to get me through sixthform !!
Reply 5
Original post by PetitePanda
Have you finish the GCSE content and strengthen it as much as you can first? Do you understand the topics confidentially?

yes i am currently doing bridging work for all the subjects and luckily i was in the top set and class for sciences and maths so we already touched up on a level topics and we also finished the gcse course with time to spare! The only subject i'm new to is economics as i didn't pick business, however, my best friend is helping me go through some aspects of business gcse that could overlap into economics a level :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by RogerOxon
Don't take those four - it will compromise your grades, and not offer any advantage for university entrance. Only take the three that interest you most, unless you're doing Maths + FM.

i think i will stick to four as i added economics in just because of how interesting it seems to me, not for university entrance ! :smile:
Original post by macy_m
yes i am currently doing bridging work for all the subjects and luckily i was in the top set and class for sciences and maths so we already touched up on a level topics and we also finished the gcse course with time to spare! The only subject i'm new to is economics as i didn't pick business, however, my best friend is helping me go through some aspects of business gcse that could overlap into economics a level :smile:

That's good then. You should go to the examboard specification and see how the exam structure is like and what the topic you are doing. Wider reading is great but if you are a visual learner, Econplusdal is a great resource you could look at and it will help during a levels too.
Reply 8
Original post by PetitePanda
That's good then. You should go to the examboard specification and see how the exam structure is like and what the topic you are doing. Wider reading is great but if you are a visual learner, Econplusdal is a great resource you could look at and it will help during a levels too.

thank you so much, i'll take a look now !

Quick Reply

Latest