The Student Room Group

aqa english literature B a level coursework

hi everyone. i hope you are all well ! i wanted to ask if anyone is aware of any really short marxist novels which i can read quickly and write an essay on?? thanks !
heya!
I'm also doing the aqa english lit B coursework this year :smile:
I'm also looking at Marxism and my "shortlist" for books to do are:

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger - this is a real indie kids book. Is basically about this boy called Holden who runs away from his school (where he's been expelled, again) and about the three days he spends staying at a hotel in NYC, alone, before returning home. It's about the people he meets and the things he sees and just sort of about him and his views on the world. It's a brilliant book, absolute cult classic. If you like The Dead Poets Society, The Curious Incident of The Dog in The Nighttime, Perks of Being a Wallflower or really any kind of teen angst, thoughtful, dry, funny book then this is an excellent choice.
I'd recommend this one most. TCitR is 230 odd pages long - I you commit, you can read it in half a day. It's short but it's still a great book, very funny (you can definitely throw the phrase sAtiRe CoMeDy into your essay - we love those brownie points). It's a really easy read (the narrator is a 16 year old boy so whilst the language is very witty and thought provoking, it's also straightforward, mainly dialogue or inner thoughts. Basically, not a lot of long, heavy, dull descriptions). But still, an absolute classic - if you googled top 100 books of all time it would definitely be there. there's absolutely loads to talk about for Marxism (also adaptable to eco critical and feminism). a tone of symbolism and metaphors to talk about in your writing and whole sections which feel like they've been written just so you can write a Marxist essay on them.
basically; a great book, short, easy read, but still packed with stuff to talk about and a classic
(also; fun fact, the guy who Killed John Lennon ((the beatles singer)) did it because of this book, believing that he had to rid the world of the rich and successful and that he'd become the Catcher in the rye once he'd committed the crime)

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - although Alice in Wonderland can just read like a really bad trip, it's actually a very metaphorical piece of writing and all you have to do is google "Alice in Wonderland marxism" to see there's loads to talk about here. this one's only 140 or so pages long. you'd have to double check with your teacher if this would be long enough. It is described as a "novel" not a "short story" though, so I don't see why not. Alice is a very self entitled child, often gloating about her education and how she gets new shoes every Christmas. obviously there's the bourgeoisie (the day I spell that word right on the first try will be a miracle) in the form of the Queen of Hearts. Basically, lot of content, really short, plus: because it's so random you can really twist it how you want it.
if you do this one I'd recommend buying either the Penguin Classic edition or, if you can't find that, the Puffin Classic edition because they have lots of introduction/other writing in them about the book

Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald - disclaimer: I haven't read this one yet, but I got it with the view to read it in the summer under my teachers recommendation for coursework marxist writing.
Pros: around 340 pages
cons: it's by F Scott Fitzgerald
now this isn't an issue if you like Fitzgerald's writing but a lot of people (me included) find it quite dull. don't get me wrong, his writing is beautiful, lot's of extravagant descriptions and I feel bad slating this because I haven't read it yet.
basically, if you enjoyed Gatsby then you should do Tender is the Night. Any Fitzgerald book is adaptable to Marxism - period. sadly, Gatsby is on the syllabus so you can't do that one but The Beautiful and Damned, Tender is the Night, or This Side of Paradise are his other three big ones and they're all Marxism appropriate (Beautiful and Damned is the longest of the three)
as long as you're going to enjoy it do this one

Hope that helps, any questions just ask and good luck with your coursework!
Original post by emily_gray
heya!
I'm also doing the aqa english lit B coursework this year :smile:
I'm also looking at Marxism and my "shortlist" for books to do are:

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger - this is a real indie kids book. Is basically about this boy called Holden who runs away from his school (where he's been expelled, again) and about the three days he spends staying at a hotel in NYC, alone, before returning home. It's about the people he meets and the things he sees and just sort of about him and his views on the world. It's a brilliant book, absolute cult classic. If you like The Dead Poets Society, The Curious Incident of The Dog in The Nighttime, Perks of Being a Wallflower or really any kind of teen angst, thoughtful, dry, funny book then this is an excellent choice.
I'd recommend this one most. TCitR is 230 odd pages long - I you commit, you can read it in half a day. It's short but it's still a great book, very funny (you can definitely throw the phrase sAtiRe CoMeDy into your essay - we love those brownie points). It's a really easy read (the narrator is a 16 year old boy so whilst the language is very witty and thought provoking, it's also straightforward, mainly dialogue or inner thoughts. Basically, not a lot of long, heavy, dull descriptions). But still, an absolute classic - if you googled top 100 books of all time it would definitely be there. there's absolutely loads to talk about for Marxism (also adaptable to eco critical and feminism). a tone of symbolism and metaphors to talk about in your writing and whole sections which feel like they've been written just so you can write a Marxist essay on them.
basically; a great book, short, easy read, but still packed with stuff to talk about and a classic
(also; fun fact, the guy who Killed John Lennon ((the beatles singer)) did it because of this book, believing that he had to rid the world of the rich and successful and that he'd become the Catcher in the rye once he'd committed the crime)

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - although Alice in Wonderland can just read like a really bad trip, it's actually a very metaphorical piece of writing and all you have to do is google "Alice in Wonderland marxism" to see there's loads to talk about here. this one's only 140 or so pages long. you'd have to double check with your teacher if this would be long enough. It is described as a "novel" not a "short story" though, so I don't see why not. Alice is a very self entitled child, often gloating about her education and how she gets new shoes every Christmas. obviously there's the bourgeoisie (the day I spell that word right on the first try will be a miracle) in the form of the Queen of Hearts. Basically, lot of content, really short, plus: because it's so random you can really twist it how you want it.
if you do this one I'd recommend buying either the Penguin Classic edition or, if you can't find that, the Puffin Classic edition because they have lots of introduction/other writing in them about the book

Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald - disclaimer: I haven't read this one yet, but I got it with the view to read it in the summer under my teachers recommendation for coursework marxist writing.
Pros: around 340 pages
cons: it's by F Scott Fitzgerald
now this isn't an issue if you like Fitzgerald's writing but a lot of people (me included) find it quite dull. don't get me wrong, his writing is beautiful, lot's of extravagant descriptions and I feel bad slating this because I haven't read it yet.
basically, if you enjoyed Gatsby then you should do Tender is the Night. Any Fitzgerald book is adaptable to Marxism - period. sadly, Gatsby is on the syllabus so you can't do that one but The Beautiful and Damned, Tender is the Night, or This Side of Paradise are his other three big ones and they're all Marxism appropriate (Beautiful and Damned is the longest of the three)
as long as you're going to enjoy it do this one

Hope that helps, any questions just ask and good luck with your coursework!

Omg thank you soooo much girl!!!! I might look at the Alice in Wonderland one then, as thats the shortest. My teacher told me to read Animal Farm which is also short but I just dont want to :/ haaha. good luck for you too!!! let me know how you get on! hows year 12 and learning at home going
Original post by a.rx
Omg thank you soooo much girl!!!! I might look at the Alice in Wonderland one then, as thats the shortest. My teacher told me to read Animal Farm which is also short but I just dont want to :/ haaha. good luck for you too!!! let me know how you get on! hows year 12 and learning at home going

omg they recommended that for me too and it just looks like way too much effort ://
so glad to have helped!!!
bro it's sooooo weird, can't lie though I feel like my grades are getting better cuz I have no one to distract me looool
what about you? you keeping it together?
Original post by emily_gray
omg they recommended that for me too and it just looks like way too much effort ://
so glad to have helped!!!
bro it's sooooo weird, can't lie though I feel like my grades are getting better cuz I have no one to distract me looool
what about you? you keeping it together?

im trying!!! ahhahhahaha omg for real same no distractions but my phone is one... but im getting rid of that. can you believe i have to go in for mocks next week!!!
hey,I got Full marks in both my courseworks for aqa lit B and an a* overall message me For my ig or snap if anyone needs any help or advice :smile:
Original post by sparky2867777
hey,I got Full marks in both my courseworks for aqa lit B and an a* overall message me For my ig or snap if anyone needs any help or advice :smile:

could you check out my post asking for advice on english lit coursework please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending