The Student Room Group

Job Prospects of Constitutional / International Law

Hi everyone,

Soon, I will begin writing my personal statement for my UCAS form and have finally come to the decision that I want to study Law at university and I am very keen on focusing on international or constitutional law as I have vast political interests.

Although this has engaged me fully and has intrigued me, it has given me plenty of food for thought because I was curious about whether the job prospects are really there. I have aspirations to work internationally in the future so I was wondering if anybody had any advice as to which career path may be suitable for me and whether specializing in international or constitutional law so worthwhile in the long run.

Thank you :smile:.
Hi, if it's what your interested in then go for it! :smile: I can't comment too much on job prospects but I'd imagine they'd be pretty good - civil service (diplomacy or Parliament schemes in particular), being an MP, working in the Government Legal Service, law firms abroad (you'd have to make sure you're qualified in whichever country you go to though) or maybe something like human rights law and advocacy in places where peoples' rights and freedoms are limited. You could also work for the United Nations or European Parliament but I don't know anything about how you would get into that.

Even if you can't get full-time work in the field, if you want to do this so much you can't imagine doing anything else then it's still worth studying at university and trying your best to get work experience, voluntary work and jobs related to politics or international law. If you never try then you'll never know where you might have ended up. :biggrin: Loads of graduate jobs are open to people with any degree so you could still get a good job outside of the field if you were struggling to get into it, even if you just decided to do something else until you can find something you really want to do.
Original post by Melirose
Hi, if it's what your interested in then go for it! :smile: I can't comment too much on job prospects but I'd imagine they'd be pretty good - civil service (diplomacy or Parliament schemes in particular), being an MP, working in the Government Legal Service, law firms abroad (you'd have to make sure you're qualified in whichever country you go to though) or maybe something like human rights law and advocacy in places where peoples' rights and freedoms are limited. You could also work for the United Nations or European Parliament but I don't know anything about how you would get into that.

Even if you can't get full-time work in the field, if you want to do this so much you can't imagine doing anything else then it's still worth studying at university and trying your best to get work experience, voluntary work and jobs related to politics or international law. If you never try then you'll never know where you might have ended up. :biggrin: Loads of graduate jobs are open to people with any degree so you could still get a good job outside of the field if you were struggling to get into it, even if you just decided to do something else until you can find something you really want to do.

Thank you for the reply!

This was really useful and applicable for me honestly and the idea of working in such an influential organisation like the UN would be a breath taking opportunity for me personally. I have looked into it on their website but I will have to do some further research because it seems that they do not have an official office in London therefore I may have to move abroad in the future to initiate my career however this is all still merely food for thought at the moment as I am still only in year 12 currently.

Again, thank you for the reply, I will look further into European parliamentary and jobs within the civil service!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest