The Student Room Group

Scholarships for Indian students

I am an Indian student looking at prospective medical colleges in the UK. But I am unable to find out if there is any sort of scholarship available for foreign students, especially Indian students as it may be the only way possible I can withstand the financial costs of living abroad all on my own.
Original post by nandana_2303
I am an Indian student looking at prospective medical colleges in the UK. But I am unable to find out if there is any sort of scholarship available for foreign students, especially Indian students as it may be the only way possible I can withstand the financial costs of living abroad all on my own.

Your best bet is to look to India. In the UK the numbers entering medicine are strictly controlled to match the numbers needed in the NHS. The number of places for overseas students is even more restricted. There's simply not much incentive for philanthropists in the UK to donate the massive funds required to put an overseas student through UK medical training. There may be more reason for Indian philanthropists to do that though.
After thorough research I found that there are barely any scholarships that cover full tuition or even half (there are some if you go to the respective university website - you will find some scholarships that might cover like up to £3000 in contrast to you paying around £40,000 as an International Student for the Medicine course per year) for Bachelor's in any subject in UK for Indian Students let alone Medicine. I did not see any scholarships for Medicine and Law for Indian Students. Oxford Uni has specifically written that they do not provide any scholarships for International students for Medicine (you should check that again for confirmation as that might have been changed by now). My best bet would be student loans, or try to save some money through part time jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending