The Student Room Group

Cambridge physics natural sciences module, without physics A level?

Hey guys,
I was just wondering about studying the Physics module in the first year of the Natural Sciences course at Cambridge. It says on the website that ‘Either Maths and Physics, or Maths and Further Maths with 3 modules of Mechanics’ is required to study physics in the first year. I was wondering if it is actually possible in practice to do the first year physics module without physics A level, with only maths and further maths. If not, is it possible to do physics in the first year if the physics A level syllabus content is learnt before joining Cambridge, such as during the summer after A levels?
I am very grateful for your help. Thanks!!
Original post by hariisawesome
Hey guys,
I was just wondering about studying the Physics module in the first year of the Natural Sciences course at Cambridge. It says on the website that ‘Either Maths and Physics, or Maths and Further Maths with 3 modules of Mechanics’ is required to study physics in the first year. I was wondering if it is actually possible in practice to do the first year physics module without physics A level, with only maths and further maths. If not, is it possible to do physics in the first year if the physics A level syllabus content is learnt before joining Cambridge, such as during the summer after A levels?
I am very grateful for your help. Thanks!!

Well, the three modules thing is out of date anyway, because modules are no longer a thing.
Original post by vicvic38
Well, the three modules thing is out of date anyway, because modules are no longer a thing.

Well yes, but the point is is it possible?? Thx
Reply 3
I think it could be possible but just unlikely. Almost everyone competing for Physics places on the course would've taken Physics.
I'd say email one of the colleges you're interested in, they're really good at responding quickly.
If it states you can do the module with just maths and further maths then you can do it with just those two-it wouldn’t have that as an entry requirement if you couldn’t.

Quick Reply

Latest