The Student Room Group

University of Sunderland has wasted my life

Huge story short: they never fulfilled their promises to me and I never received Masters degree since 2017. Now I am completely done with them, and I asked for complete refund but they agreed to refund mw only GBP 700 out of GBP 2100 + RM 29000.
They delayed not only my course, my three other friends just because of their mismanagement. OIAHE never helped me in a right way, they are biased to helping University. Please anybody refer me to good lawyer so that I can file case against them. After the pandemic ends, I will be filing case with all the evidences I have.
Regards

Scroll to see replies

* has wasted my life

Also, I am not clear why you think they let you down other than you did not graduate.
You should probably just speak to a lawyer who will advise you as to the strength of your case. Any high street lawyer should be competent to advise you.

Did you fail your masters? Or just not get the certificate in the end? It’s not very clear.
Original post by jawadsoomro
If i start telling you my story, TSR will decline my post. I replied to UOS over here about their long list of mismanagement but TSR declined my post. It seems like TSR is also biased to towards University. Please let me know any Good lawyer or just tell me straight away if I am wasting my time here.

Without more information, no good lawyer will be willing to discuss the prospects of your case.
Original post by Catherine1973
You should probably just speak to a lawyer who will advise you as to the strength of your case. Any high street lawyer should be competent to advise you.

Did you fail your masters? Or just not get the certificate in the end? It’s not very clear.

Yes, try that. Then you can discuss the case in more detail.

I was just asking refer me if you know any lawyer. I need to know the reputation of the lawyer too. I can meet any lawyer but I need trust too.
Anyways, it looks like you are throwing salt on my wounds. I am not FAILED. My final year project started in March 2017 and it was about to end in September 2017 but University of Sunderland didnt respond well and wasted whole 2017. We made lot of complaints but they delayed. They still didnt clear us from masters because they didnt supervise us to finish our FYP. They wasted my years.
drink some decaf tea it eases the stress
Original post by beyhive1
drink some decaf tea it eases the stress

LOL if you cant help me. Dont reply me.
I was just asking refer me if you know any lawyer. I need to know the reputation of the lawyer too. I can meet any lawyer but I need trust too.
Anyways, it looks like you are throwing salt on my wounds. I am not FAILED. My final year project started in March 2017 and it was about to end in September 2017 but University of Sunderland didnt respond well and wasted whole 2017. We made lot of complaints but they delayed. They still didnt clear us from masters because they didnt supervise us to finish our FYP. They wasted my years.

Are you looking for a lawyer in the UK, or one in your home country? There are reviews online that you can consult to see which lawyer would be most appropriate to your case.

Did you complete your final project and get a mark for it? If so, I don't understand why they are withholding your award.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Are you looking for a lawyer in the UK, or one in your home country? There are reviews online that you can consult to see which lawyer would be most appropriate to your case.

Did you complete your final project and get a mark for it? If so, I don't understand why they are withholding your award.

I have all the screenshots against University of Sunderland, their staff messages and their supervisor messages.
I have no stamina right now to type allthat long story. I am in Pakistan and it is 2am here. Anyways for you. I will try to write
I got admission in Masters of Science In engineering management (MScEM) in February 2016 in Segi College Subang Jaya Malaysia taught Masters course from University of Sunderland. They promised me that this course duration is 2 years and it will end within 2 years anyway.
So we are 4 students only in the class, others dropped out for their personal reasons. So our 3 semesters went well until Final year project semester that was started in March 2017 and deadline was September 2017.
1. My supervisor (Mod edit - name removed) in segi college malaysia) gave us only 1-2 classes on teaching us what to write in thesis and what not to write. He didnt completely clear us how to properly write masters thesis. Anyways he was supervising us for writing proposals for FYP. After he approved our proposals, he asked University of Sunderland to assist us supervisor to continue our projects. However no response came from University of Sunderland. We kept complaining and he told us DONT WORRY I APPROVED YOUR PROPOSALS THAT MEANS UNIVERSITY OF SUNDERLAND ALSO APPROVE YOUR PROPOSAL. University of Sunderland has removed the upload option from their portal. We werent able to submit our proposals to them. Mr supervisor emailed our proposals to University of Sunderland however they didnt entertain this method.
After 3-4 months, My supervisor called them infront of me and my classmate, University of Sunderland gave same reply that They have changed their entire staffs so they probably delay more than we expect
2) there were 2 more months left to September 2017, so he informed all of us to finish our FYP before October 2017 because University of Sunderland still not responding to our complaints. So we finished our final year projects and ready for submission but University of Sunderland online portal had still no upload option. So we were told to wait. We kept waiting and complaining but no progress was made.
3) in late january 2018, University of Sunderland had transformed their online portal into Canvas but still there was no upload option. We waited 2-3 months. Until April, they fixed the upload issue, so we uploaded all our FYP documents to their Canvas portal with deadline of 30 April 2018.
4) they informed us in October 2018 that our FYPS are rejected because they werent supervised. Was it our fault? We kept asking University of Sunderland to assign us their supervisor but they didnt and we were told to finish FYP even without supervisor. Now tell me is it our fault? All our efforts ignored? Anyways, so University of Sunderland decided to assign us supervisor to get the things rolling. They didnt assign any supervisor until late February 2019, suddenly another man takes over the roll of supervisor and assist all of us. Then he took 2-3 month to supervise us with very late replies 2-4 replies a month. Then suddenly he informed us that he is going on vacations so he wont be assisting soon. We also handled that. He didnt reply to our projects for 3 months. We made lot of complaints against him then he came back but again same attitude of replying late and sometimes he asks too many questions and doesnt accept some things in proposals. Then from November he didnt reply to me. He replied to my other friends but again he has disappeared. Now it is July 2020 and he is still not responding to any one of us. I am done with University of Sunderland drama
5) I asked the new supervisor to assist me in project or else I want refund. He made wrong conclusions that I am dropping out and university of Sunderland decided to only refund GBP 700. What will I do with that now? I need total refund.
Huge story short: they never fulfilled their promises to me and I never received Masters degree since 2017. Now I am completely done with them, and I asked for complete refund but they agreed to refund mw only GBP 700 out of GBP 2100 + RM 29000.
They delayed not only my course, my three other friends just because of their mismanagement. OIAHE never helped me in a right way, they are biased to helping University. Please anybody refer me to good lawyer so that I can file case against them. After the pandemic ends, I will be filing case with all the evidences I have.
Regards

I am not sure how much exactly you wish to claim for but you don't need an expensive lawyer to make a claim through the UK courts.

If your claim is for more than £10k then click here to make a claim online - there will be a small cost to you of several hundred pounds (varies depending on the size of the claim). That will be cheaper than hiring a lawyer.

If your claim is for less than £10k then click here to make a claim online.

I am surmising that English is not your first language. You will need to be very clear and precise when claiming - dates, names etc.
Original post by mike23mike
I am not sure how much exactly you wish to claim for but you don't need an expensive lawyer to make a claim through the UK courts.

If your claim is for more than £10k then click here to make a claim online - there will be a small cost to you of several hundred pounds (varies depending on the size of the claim). That will be cheaper than hiring a lawyer.

If your claim is for less than £10k then click here to make a claim online.

I am surmising that English is not your first language. You will need to be very clear and precise when claiming - dates, names etc.

Thank you very much for the help. Yes ENGLISH is not my first language, however, I speak English most of the time. There might be typo errors here just like the typo error I had in the title of this thread.
Anyways, my total fees is GBP 2100+ RM 29,000+. However University of Sunderland agreed to only refund me GBP 700.
Please tell me how can I use these links that you provided to make claims? How are they useful? Thank you very much once again. I appreciate your valuable reply :smile:
I have all the screenshots against University of Sunderland, their staff messages and their supervisor messages.

Okay, so it sounds like you have complaints against two staff members in particular for giving incorrect information and not supervising you properly. Have you made formal complaints to your universities? If you have, what was the outcome of that?

As for the refund, you need to know exactly why it was only £700, and what that amount corresponds to (i.e. was it a refund for your fees for the dissertation period or something else?). As they've given you a refund, I'm guessing that they are using that to justify not giving you your award. Have you asked about getting a PgDip instead (which you can get after doing 2 semesters of study but no dissertation)?
Agree I think you need to exhaust the complaints procedure at university of Sunderland to get a final written decision then you can take that to a lawyer.

They need to say why your dissertation was not marked and what can be done to fix it (which may be that it needs re doing, have they said why this can’t happen). I didn’t think there was a date cut when you are time barred from finishing?
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Okay, so it sounds like you have complaints against two staff members in particular for giving incorrect information and not supervising you properly. Have you made formal complaints to your universities? If you have, what was the outcome of that?

As for the refund, you need to know exactly why it was only £700, and what that amount corresponds to (i.e. was it a refund for your fees for the dissertation period or something else?). As they've given you a refund, I'm guessing that they are using that to justify not giving you your award. Have you asked about getting a PgDip instead (which you can get after doing 2 semesters of study but no dissertation)?

I wrote such a big paragraph, and you think I have only problem with two staff members? Its the whole university of sunderland staff and segi college as well. Most tragic problem is they wasted my time even after lot of complaints. They have mismanagement issues which is very clear. Segi college staff informed us that University of Sunderland has changed their entire staff, which means most of the staff is fresh and not experienced about communication with SEGI COLLEGE. They have caused lot of delays, also one person who loves vacations more than students) always replied late and disappeared in thin air.

As for GBP 700, let me crack this down.
Total fees is GBP 2100 + MYR 29000+
1 semester = GBP 700, therefore 3 semesters = 3 x 700 = GBP 2100
RM 29000+ is SEGI COLLEGE FEES, it includes Facility fees and lab fees. I have the RECEIPTS of whatever I had paid.
According to my receipt, the total amount I had paid them is MYR 83,198.74, this is equal to GBP 15543.92
Agree I think you need to exhaust the complaints procedure at university of Sunderland to get a final written decision then you can take that to a lawyer.

They need to say why your dissertation was not marked and what can be done to fix it (which may be that it needs re doing, have they said why this can’t happen). I didn’t think there was a date cut when you are time barred from finishing?

I have the Procedure completion letter with me, I have submitted to OIAHE, they agreed to take over my case, but it has been 3-4 months, they havent responded to me, they are keeping me in dark. I am sure University of Sunderland is playing some politics in saving their reputation with OIAHE. So I am considering a direct step to sue them for wasting my so many years. I am completely depressed, i have so many guilty feelings, I want to be rid of those feelings. Shame on University of Sunderland.
Thank you very much for the help. Yes ENGLISH is not my first language, however, I speak English most of the time. There might be typo errors here just like the typo error I had in the title of this thread.
Anyways, my total fees is GBP 2100+ RM 29,000+. However University of Sunderland agreed to only refund me GBP 700.
Please tell me how can I use these links that you provided to make claims? How are they useful? Thank you very much once again. I appreciate your valuable reply :smile:

Ok, you are really making this hard for me. From what I can figure, you are owed, £2100 plus a further £4500 (coverting Malaysian Ringgit to GBP). This seems low for Internatlaion student fees for a Masters so I am guessing you have only paid the first or second installment and wish to claim that back?

You can make a claim by filling in the online form found HERE. Typically if a student has completed semester 1 and not started semester 2 then the fees for S2 are refunded. But if you have completed some or all of the modules in S1 then its harder to claim back. It seems you have some grounds because the uni paid back £700.
Ok, you are really making this hard for me. From what I can figure, you are owed, £2100 plus a further £4500 (coverting Malaysian Ringgit to GBP). This seems low for Internatlaion student fees for a Masters so I am guessing you have only paid the first or second installment and wish to claim that back?

You can make a claim by filling in the online form found HERE. Typically if a student has completed semester 1 and not started semester 2 then the fees for S2 are refunded. But if you have completed some or all of the modules in S1 then its harder to claim back. It seems you have some grounds because the uni paid back £700.

I have completed all the semesters except the final semester which they didnt fulfill. Without this final semester, all other semesters are worthless. I had paid all the fees already, nothing left to pay them. They didnt refund me GBP 700 yet because I requested FULL REFUND, what will I do that GBP 700 when other semesters cannot give me Masters degree?? All the course depends on this final semester to release the degree, but if they dont want to solve these issues, they should refund me all. I wont be receiving degree either way. They wasted my time, they should really return me the TIME, TIME is a valuable thing and they had wasted it, they must PAYBACK.
(edited 3 years ago)
I have completed all the semesters except the final semester which they didnt fulfill. Without this final semester, all other semesters are worthless. I had paid all the fees already, nothing left to pay them. They didnt refund me GBP 700 yet because I requested FULL REFUND, what will I do that GBP 700 when other semesters cannot give me Masters degree?? All the course depends on this final semester to release the degree, but if they dont want to solve these issues, they should refund me all. I wont be receiving degree either way. They wasted my time, they should really return me the TIME, TIME is a valuable thing and they had wasted it, they must PAYBACK.

A masters is typically made up of 120-140 credits of taught modules plus a 40 or 60 credit project. In order to get onto the project part of the course, you will need to have passed the 120/140 credits of taught classes. I am guessing you have failed some of these taught modules and also failed the resits. if you have accumulated 90 credits then you will be awarded the Certificate. If you have accumulated 120/140 credits but fail the project you will be awarded the Diploma. Both the Certificate and Diploma are transferrable. Thus, you can apply for a similar masters programme at another uni and bank the credits you have accumulated.

I am not sure how many credits you have accumulated but if it's less than 90 then yes you will walk away without any qualification. All of this will be explained in the course handbook.

UK universities do not want to scam students out of their money. But if you have not passed the required credits then they cannot award you a qualification. Sorry.
A masters is typically made up of 120-140 credits of taught modules plus a 40 or 60 credit project. In order to get onto the project part of the course, you will need to have passed the 120/140 credits of taught classes. I am guessing you have failed some of these taught modules and also failed the resits. if you have accumulated 90 credits then you will be awarded the Certificate. If you have accumulated 120/140 credits but fail the project you will be awarded the Diploma. Both the Certificate and Diploma are transferrable. Thus, you can apply for a similar masters programme at another uni and bank the credits you have accumulated.

I am not sure how many credits you have accumulated but if it's less than 90 then yes you will walk away without any qualification. All of this will be explained in the course handbook.

UK universities do not want to scam students out of their money. But if you have not passed the required credits then they cannot award you a qualification. Sorry.

Well you cannot simply make assumptions already. I have passed all semesters and I have already acquired 120 credits. You see they say my final outcome result is 20% from my 3 semesters and 80% from my final year project semester. Now you see, why I am saying all other semesters worthless? You should realize that soon.
After all these wasted years, I am no more interested in pursuing this course. Everything has a time, and University of Sunderland wasted my time. Its time to PAYBACK.
You cant simply say UK universities won't scam, they are not Angels or symbol of pureness. The story is in front of you, if you deny, that's your choice. What I have said is what I have suffered. It looks like you can't feel the pain I have gone through. I must say how supportive you are towards UNIVERSITY OF SUNDERLAND, are they paying you to support them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending