The Student Room Group

Is there thesis in MA

Do I have to write a thesis in MA history or is that just for it just for Mst and MPhil?I am sorry if this seems like a silly question I am passionate about history but a bit unable to reach many reliable sources for help. In india I dont think there are many sources near. Any guidance possible and any tips are thoroughly welcome.
Original post by Tkanodia
Do I have to write a thesis in MA history or is that just for it just for Mst and MPhil?I am sorry if this seems like a silly question I am passionate about history but a bit unable to reach many reliable sources for help. In india I dont think there are many sources near. Any guidance possible and any tips are thoroughly welcome.

Most MA history courses will have a dissertation. You need to check individual courses.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Most MA history courses will have a dissertation. You need to check individual courses.

Thanks a lot.
Thanks a lot.

Are you planning on taking a distance learning MA?
Reply 4
No, I'm not planning to take distance learning MA.
No, I'm not planning to take distance learning MA.

Which unis are you considering?
Reply 6
Which unis are you considering?

So the thing is that I actually have a bachelors in philosophy so to do masters abroad is a huge step. So I am considering getting a masters here in history and then as much knowledge as I have I want to pursue medieval European era. So I'll go for double ma one in india ,one abroad. Oxford and Cambridge but I saw they dont have full taught MA so I am looking for Edinburgh, Andrew. I searched Germany not many for what I want. So mostly Edinburgh, Durham,Andrew, Leiden.
The bone of contention is that I am not able to get any internships here and have heard that they are very important for masters.
Tbh history here doesnt have that much value so even the info I get is very restricted.
What are you planning?
(edited 3 years ago)
So the thing is that I actually have a bachelors in philosophy so to do masters abroad is a huge step. So I am considering getting a masters here in history and then as much knowledge as I have I want to pursue medieval European era. So I'll go for double ma one in india ,one abroad. Oxford and Cambridge but I saw they dont have full taught MA so I am looking for Edinburgh, Andrew. I searched Germany not many for what I want. So mostly Edinburgh, Durham,Andrew, Leiden.
The bone of contention is that I am not able to get any internships here and have heard that they are very important for masters.
Tbh history here doesnt have that much value so even the info I get is very restricted.
What are you planning?

Do Edinburgh and St Andrews have a full taught Master's in medieval history?

I don't think that internships would be relevant at all.

I ended my formal education many years ago!
Reply 8
Yes they both have degrees in medieval history.
So if internships are not necessary is there any other way I can compensate for not having a BA in history? I already am doing certificate courses online.
I must really thank you for helping me. What are you doing currently? Did you pursue history too?
Yes they both have degrees in medieval history.
So if internships are not necessary is there any other way I can compensate for not having a BA in history? I already am doing certificate courses online.
I must really thank you for helping me. What are you doing currently? Did you pursue history too?

Just to clarify, what do you mean by internships?

I suggest that you demonstrate your interest in medieval history by taking MOOCs on relevant topics, detailed reading etc.

I did history at undergraduate level.
Reply 10
Just to clarify, what do you mean by internships?

I suggest that you demonstrate your interest in medieval history by taking MOOCs on relevant topics, detailed reading etc.

I did history at undergraduate level.

So I have been taking courses in medieval history on edx and coursera. Try to read about any medieval history concept I can and attend online seminars. I also see a lot of documentaries. So by internship I meant like working under a professor for research work or some organization private or government. Like museums offer some internships, where you get some work experience to help you in future. If you dont mind me asking, why did you drop history?
So I have been taking courses in medieval history on edx and coursera. Try to read about any medieval history concept I can and attend online seminars. I also see a lot of documentaries. So by internship I meant like working under a professor for research work or some organization private or government. Like museums offer some internships, where you get some work experience to help you in future. If you dont mind me asking, why did you drop history?

Ok you appear to be on the right lines.

That type of internship is fine, though difficult to obtain, I would have thought?

I wouldn't say that I "dropped" history. After my first degree I did a master's in information studies and later became a journalist. However, I still read serious history books for pleasure and my shelves groan under their weight!
Reply 12
Ok you appear to be on the right lines.

That type of internship is fine, though difficult to obtain, I would have thought?

I wouldn't say that I "dropped" history. After my first degree I did a master's in information studies and later became a journalist. However, I still read serious history books for pleasure and my shelves groan under their weight!

Thank you. Yes they are difficult to attain to be honest. That's nice so you are a journalist and also history enthusiast.
Thanks a lot for your help again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending