The Student Room Group

Can international students pass a classics entrance exam?

Hi,
I'm an european student whose native language is German. However, I'm applying for universities in the UK and I'll need to do well on the classics written-assessment of Cambridge where I'll have to translate a passage from Latin into English.
As I find this extremely difficult, I am wondering if any non-native English speaker has successfully passed this test and if yes, how did he/her manage to do so.
Original post by xobob
Hi,
I'm an european student whose native language is German. However, I'm applying for universities in the UK and I'll need to do well on the classics written-assessment of Cambridge where I'll have to translate a passage from Latin into English.
As I find this extremely difficult, I am wondering if any non-native English speaker has successfully passed this test and if yes, how did he/her manage to do so.

International students have a really difficult time applying for some of the unis in the UK. I did not take the exam which you are talking about but my best advice for you is to study harder, focus on cognitive ways of studying, try to improve the productivity of learning itself. AS a polish student I find UK's system very unfair. The matura exam, an equivalent to English A-level, is not only more difficult(in my opinion) but 70& of A's equals to 90% of Matura exam.
Reply 2
Original post by Nimzowitsch
International students have a really difficult time applying for some of the unis in the UK. I did not take the exam which you are talking about but my best advice for you is to study harder, focus on cognitive ways of studying, try to improve the productivity of learning itself. AS a polish student I find UK's system very unfair. The matura exam, an equivalent to English A-level, is not only more difficult(in my opinion) but 70& of A's equals to 90% of Matura exam.

Thank you for your reply!
Well, I'll try to do my best but it's very likely that I'll have to reconsider my subject choice.
I'm kind of happy to hear that you find the UK system unfair, too. It's extremely difficult for internationals, especially when it comes to language-related subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending