The Student Room Group

A*A*B for medicine?

Hi, i have an offer for medicine for AA, as i achieved an A* last year. i’m not re-sitting as such, i had a very unlucky year and was unable to take all of my subjects due to the mitigating circumstances.

i’m really afraid that i will be awarded A*B this year as my school is not the best and the government is using previous results of the school in their grade considerations, which is unfair as i work hard. To put my schools performance into perspective, in the subject i had taken last year, no one student apart from me has ever been awarded higher than a B, so i’m worried my grades will be pulled down because of this.

*i’m also worried because if i get these grades, for example, they may accept others with lower grades like AAB or ABB because they were all achieved in the same year, even though this would be really unfair because it wasn’t my fault. the offer i firmed was sunderland medical school

i’m just looking for an opinion of what i should do, should i email the university and ask if they would accept grades like this for widening participation? or should i try not to worry and get on with my life?
Which university do you hold an offer from?
There's no way to know what grades you will get, or whether the university will accept them, until results day. It isn't productive or healthy to obsess over that for the time being, as there isn't anything you can do to influence whatever the outcome may be for now. Just enjoy your summer, such as it is, until results day - then you will know whether you achieved your offer or not, and if you didn't meet the requirements of the offer you can contact them and ask if they will still consider you.

Spoiler

Reply 3
Original post by bored_user:)
Which university do you hold an offer from?

Sunderland
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
There's no way to know what grades you will get, or whether the university will accept them, until results day. It isn't productive or healthy to obsess over that for the time being, as there isn't anything you can do to influence whatever the outcome may be for now. Just enjoy your summer, such as it is, until results day - then you will know whether you achieved your offer or not, and if you didn't meet the requirements of the offer you can contact them and ask if they will still consider you.

Spoiler

i understand, thank you for your reply :smile:
Original post by bzkldn
Sunderland

It shouldnt really be an issue as long as it is an equivelant or you have just dropped one grade. Tbh Universities know that these are just predictions and would do their best to accommodate you in order for you to move ahead.
Reply 6
If you don't get the grades you can fill out a subject access request to your school and request the grades your teacher sent to the exam board (legally they must give you this, but they can delay it). If they are higher than the grades you were awarded (which might be the case if your school is as low performing as your say) you night be able to use that to reapply next year? Or resit them? Not ideal, bit they are options!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by L-K
If you don't get the grades you can fill out a subject access request to your school and request the grades your teacher sent to the exam board (legally they must give you this, but they can delay it). If they are higher than the grades you were awarded (which might be the case if your school is as low performing as your say) you can use that to reapply next year? Or resit them? Not ideal, bit they are options!

thank you so much i didn’t know i could do this!
Reply 8
Original post by bzkldn
thank you so much i didn’t know i could do this!

I've changed my wording, as it sound like it was a done deal that you could apply with your teacher given grades. You would have to apply with your official grades, but may be able to clarify the situation with the university or write on your personal statement about your teacher awarded grades.
Which subjects are you referring to, and which grades have you got for them specifically?
Reply 10
Original post by StarLinyx
Which subjects are you referring to, and which grades have you got for them specifically?

A* Biology A* Psychology B Chemistry. i didn’t get the option to do more than 3 subjects in my school.

In the exam i really believe i would have got an A it an A* in chemistry but the past few years in my school have performed poorly in the subject so my grade may be pulled down because of that (my teacher had requested for me to get an A). I will definitely get an A* in biology because we have had many mock tests and i have been way over the boundary for an A* in each of them (sometimes 20% over) so i’m not worried about that, just chemistry as it is so important for medicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending