The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Aston university- Optometry lectures

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student8965
The foundation programme is for a range of routes such as bio med, pharmacy optom etc. Each route has specific module requirements. There are 4 core modules everyone must do and 4 “optional” modules. I say “optional” because each route requires certain modules.
For Optometry:
1) senses and perception/
Most related to Optometry, about the eyes, ears, balance
2) human anatomy and physiology/
Mainly biology, how the lungs work, digestion etc
3) professional skills/ mainly employment/ communication skills
4)Psychology/ infant behaviour, child development
5) Maths/ alevel maths, algebra etc
6) physics, light, refractions etc
7) identities and inequality, sociology
8) biology, a level biology
I genuinely enjoyed the modules I did, definitely feel prepared.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions about specifics.

Are there like end of year exams or? :smile:
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by sunshine34
Are there like end of year exams or? :smile:

Yess like any degree you have December/January and May/June exams
The foundation programme is for a range of routes such as bio med, pharmacy optom etc. Each route has specific module requirements. There are 4 core modules everyone must do and 4 “optional” modules. I say “optional” because each route requires certain modules.
For Optometry:

Hi how hard was the maths and physics. The last time I did these was for GCSE and I’m worried because I have forgotten a lot of it.
Yess like any degree you have December/January and May/June exams

Ahhh okay... also I got a C in bio gcse and A’s in physics and chemistry... and I think I’m predicted A’s in physics and chem a level (don’t do bio)...will optometry be a hard course for me? I really want to do optometry :smile: If it’s mainly physics then I’m happy to do the course haha
For Optometry:

Was the year like a normal degree? Like did you have freshers week etc and were you allowed to join societies?
@student8965 I'll probably do foundation despite doing physics and chemistry a level because i'm not doing bio.
Ahhh okay... also I got a C in bio gcse and A’s in physics and chemistry... and I think I’m predicted A’s in physics and chem a level (don’t do bio)...will optometry be a hard course for me? I really want to do optometry :smile: If it’s mainly physics then I’m happy to do the course haha

Those are amazing grades!! I actually start Optometry later this year, I have just completed my foundation year. I have asked a few students and I have been told there is more biology than physics but like I said I haven’t started myself so I can’t say for sure. If you look at the modules for the course at the university you are applying for, it usually says what they are!
Was the year like a normal degree? Like did you have freshers week etc and were you allowed to join societies?

Yesss it’s completely like a normal degree, We had freshers events, I joined loads of societies, you have lectures, seminars, practicals. Just like any degree.
@student8965 I'll probably do foundation despite doing physics and chemistry a level because i'm not doing bio.

You will have to check the Entry Requirements on the website but I believe they accept 2 science A levels.
Yesss it’s completely like a normal degree, We had freshers events, I joined loads of societies, you have lectures, seminars, practicals. Just like any degree.

Oh, that's great then :smile: ! Are there a lot of people who do the foundation optometry course or is it just a few haha
Oh, that's great then :smile: ! Are there a lot of people who do the foundation optometry course or is it just a few haha

Hi there,

From my experience, I’ve known a lot of individuals who do end up doing a foundation year before heading into the main course of Optometry so it wouldn’t be like the class you’re a part of would be small, it just means that you’d be doing an extra year more then expected, hope that helps answer your question :smile:

Atif*

Hi, yess I think there were about 200 ish students on the course, not all progressing onto optometry though, some were there to do bio med, audiology and pharmacy.
Hi, yess I think there were about 200 ish students on the course, not all progressing onto optometry though, some were there to do bio med, audiology and pharmacy.

Oh so it's a general course - just general topics to cover all of them? Do you just tell the uni which course you want to pursue at the end?
Oh so it's a general course - just general topics to cover all of them? Do you just tell the uni which course you want to pursue at the end?

No so when you apply you choose your progression program from the beginning, you have to pick certain modules to be allowed to move on, thats the same for other programs but some modules overlap. Eg both a pharmacy/ optometry student will study senses and perceptions, but pharmacy will study chem and optom wont. I hope this isnt confusing, they make you choose from the beginning so they can reserve a place on the main year program
No so when you apply you choose your progression program from the beginning, you have to pick certain modules to be allowed to move on, thats the same for other programs but some modules overlap. Eg both a pharmacy/ optometry student will study senses and perceptions, but pharmacy will study chem and optom wont. I hope this isnt confusing, they make you choose from the beginning so they can reserve a place on the main year program

Ohhh I get it! So you choose optometry from the beginning as that's what you want to progress onto but people progressing onto other health courses like pharmacy will share some lectures with you as well, depending on the content. Am i right? :smile:
Ohhh I get it! So you choose optometry from the beginning as that's what you want to progress onto but people progressing onto other health courses like pharmacy will share some lectures with you as well, depending on the content. Am i right? :smile:

Yesss exactly in the same lect youl have people from different programs, as well as people from your own!
Yesss exactly in the same lect youl have people from different programs, as well as people from your own!

Oh okay! Also, since you'd be switching to the main course for the first proper year, wouldn't you have another freshers week etc or not?
Oh okay! Also, since you'd be switching to the main course for the first proper year, wouldn't you have another freshers week etc or not?

I guess, not sure as i havnt received any info from my uni
Reply 38
I guess, not sure as i havnt received any info from my uni

Hey did you hear back I didn’t get into my firm or insurance so aston offered the foundation programme in sciences: biosciences and pharmacy. What’s the pass rate/guarantee you’ll get onto your course degree that you wanted
Original post by Aiesha6
Hey did you hear back I didn’t get into my firm or insurance so aston offered the foundation programme in sciences: biosciences and pharmacy. What’s the pass rate/guarantee you’ll get onto your course degree that you wanted

The pass rate is pretty high and if you get the required grades you are 100% garunteed a place on your chosen degree the following year. It will be much easier for you if you have studied A level subjects like bio/chem/maths youl find the year much easier, not necessary to have studied all but atleast one. Just makes life easier. Let me know if you have any More questions.

Quick Reply

Latest