The Student Room Group

Biomedical science

Does the bsc in biomedical science and bsc in medical lab technician have the same kind of job after the degree ? Whats the difference between these two degrees?
(edited 3 years ago)
Nop they are quite different. It very much depends on the course and the module you study, but in a general way in BSc Biomedical Sciences you study more human biology-medicine theory. Practicals are more related to microbiology, molecular biology, haematology. With a BSc Biomedical Sciences have a lot of options after university, for example, MSc/PhD, medical school and jobs in science, pharma companies and hospitals.
The BSc in medical lab technician is more technical and most of the modules cover subjects related to hospital analysis equipments (imaging, radiology, etc). While it is still a BSc, so technically you can do some related MSc and get jobs in pharma companies, realistically it prepares you only for a technician job in the hospital.
Original post by lucas02
Nop they are quite different. It very much depends on the course and the module you study, but in a general way in BSc Biomedical Sciences you study more human biology-medicine theory. Practicals are more related to microbiology, molecular biology, haematology. With a BSc Biomedical Sciences have a lot of options after university, for example, MSc/PhD, medical school and jobs in science, pharma companies and hospitals.
The BSc in medical lab technician is more technical and most of the modules cover subjects related to hospital analysis equipments (imaging, radiology, etc). While it is still a BSc, so technically you can do some related MSc and get jobs in pharma companies, realistically it prepares you only for a technician job in the hospital.

Not sure I quite agree with this, and that issue stems from non-standardised terminology.

So a 'Technician' in a hospital laboratory is traditionally a term to describe a Biomedical Scientist. It's an old term. Frustrated me when I have to ring switchboard to tell them I'm on the on-call Biomedical Scientist and they're confused until I say Microbiology Technician.

A degree in BSc Medical Lab Technician, although you would assume would prepare you for a NHS Lab, isn't going to be IBMS accredited, so avoid if that's the career path you want.
Yes the terminology is very confusing, but if you check the structure of the courses in a couple of Universities, the one I mentioned are the main differences you find.
Original post by lucas02
Yes the terminology is very confusing, but if you check the structure of the courses in a couple of Universities, the one I mentioned are the main differences you find.

I was referring to you stating "realistically it prepares you only for a technician job in the hospital."

It doesn't do that in the slightest.
What about medical equipment management/maintenance technicians?
Original post by lucas02
What about medical equipment management/maintenance technicians?

In a NHS laboratory? Neither of those roles exist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending