The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Anyone doing radiotherapy and oncology 2020?

Hey 👋
Is there anyone doing radiotherapy and oncology at Sheffield Hallam?
Can’t seem to find any posts on here.
I’ve just got a place through clearing so thought it be nice to try reach out to fellow classmates.
X

Scroll to see replies

Hi Emma, I am as well. Mature student, will be staying in Devonshire Courtyard.

SHU staff seem real friendly, we even had a zoom catchup/presentation for those of us with accepted places about a month ago :smile:
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
hey :smile:
oh I’m a mature student aswell though but living at home as I have children.
Ive learnt at Hallam before , it is a good university, Gutted I missed the presentation.
Original post by Emma1301
hey :smile:
oh I’m a mature student aswell though but living at home as I have children.
Ive learnt at Hallam before , it is a good university, Gutted I missed the presentation.

I'd recommend following some of the staff in twitter, they're quite active there. And they have always seemed happy to answer any questions by email :smile:
Reply 4
Oh thanks for letting me know, I will do :smile:
Original post by Emma1301
Hey 👋
Is there anyone doing radiotherapy and oncology at Sheffield Hallam?
Can’t seem to find any posts on here.
I’ve just got a place through clearing so thought it be nice to try reach out to fellow classmates.
X

Hey @Emma1301, it's good to see that @mackers_ire has reached out to you in this post so you can start to talk to other mature students :smile: You can both also post in our official 2020 applicant thread to find fellow more fellow applicants and sometimes you can find unofficial groups on Facebook applicant groups that you can join set up by applicants themselves if you look hard enough. We have a weekly live chat on Wednesdays 1-4pm where you can speak to our advisers from different services in the uni if you have any questions. Let me know if you have any questions about studying at Hallam or student life in Sheffield. :h:
- Ella
Hello Mackers and Emma. I am also a (very) mature student starting this September. I will be commuting into Sheffield. Been 2 years in the planning getting to this point, hard to believe its almost here!
Original post by HellomynameisNev
Hello Mackers and Emma. I am also a (very) mature student starting this September. I will be commuting into Sheffield. Been 2 years in the planning getting to this point, hard to believe its almost here!

Well at least there will be a few of us oldies around....class cardigans anyone? :wink:
Yes, me too, starting this september as mature student (28)

How was the interview for you? Did you find it difficult? What was good/ what did you like?
Original post by dharma_redox
Yes, me too, starting this september as mature student (28)

How was the interview for you? Did you find it difficult? What was good/ what did you like?

The interview was fine, when I was asked why do you want to be a Therapeutic Radiographer? I just reeled off a 10 minute answer and that took up pretty much the entire interview. Worst part was the group discussion, I was on a table with some super keen young ladies and I could barely get a word in edgeways, I was proper panicking about it afterwards.
The interview was fine, when I was asked why do you want to be a Therapeutic Radiographer? I just reeled off a 10 minute answer and that took up pretty much the entire interview. Worst part was the group discussion, I was on a table with some super keen young ladies and I could barely get a word in edgeways, I was proper panicking about it afterwards.

wow my interview was about hour long haha, i had seven questions to answer and i had to come back to some questions to give better answer, no group discussion tho
Original post by dharma_redox
wow my interview was about hour long haha, i had seven questions to answer and i had to come back to some questions to give better answer, no group discussion tho

Wow, completely different then lol. When I was there, it was a massive assessment day for all the different courses - ODP, Paramedic, OT, DR, TR etc. We were all split up into groups of 6-8, all different courses, I was the only TR in my group. Then we moved round each activity. My group did the interviews last and we were right at the end of the day - I think I was the penultimate TR to be interviewed so maybe they were moving through the interviews quicker.
Have you seen they've put up the preliminary timetable for the first semester? Only 2 weeks on campus, and the first placement has been pushed back to January
Have you seen they've put up the preliminary timetable for the first semester? Only 2 weeks on campus, and the first placement has been pushed back to January

wow, I was just checking the timetable 2 days ago, thats a quick change! (or I was just looking at the old calendar)

I guess I won't be meeting you guys in person until mid-october by the looks of things
Original post by mackers_ire
wow, I was just checking the timetable 2 days ago, thats a quick change! (or I was just looking at the old calendar)

I guess I won't be meeting you guys in person until mid-october by the looks of things

Yeah, it's too bad :frown: I don't know if they'll still be expecting us to come onto campus for registration in early September. After the big fuss they made about how important it was for them to see all our original exam certificates I'll be disappointed if they don't lol. My GCSE certificates are from 1989!!! Luckily I managed to find them in the loft.

Have you put in your placement requests yet?
Yeah, it's too bad :frown: I don't know if they'll still be expecting us to come onto campus for registration in early September. After the big fuss they made about how important it was for them to see all our original exam certificates I'll be disappointed if they don't lol. My GCSE certificates are from 1989!!! Luckily I managed to find them in the loft.

Have you put in your placement requests yet?

Well one uni I have been at just took scanned copies of certificates pre-Covid, so they may do that, or possibly just give groups sodcific time slots to go in for registration physically.

Yes I sent mine in a few weeks ago, Sheffield, Leeds, and Leicester as my choices. They normally give out placement allocations just before the course starts, but unsure how things will be this year.
Cool, I put Hull and Lincoln. Probably two of the less popular choices, so hopefully I'll get one of them :tongue:
timetable :eek: placement pushed back to January :eek:

yes i submit my placement choices, Nottingham, NCCC Newcastle, can't remember order of rest of them
From what I understand, Sheffield and Leeds are the most popular....so I guess I better be prepared to go anywhere else instead lol
Hi all, mature student here too (28), but will be starting at City this September. Not seen many others on here who are also going to City!

As mature students going into Uni, how does everyone feel in general? I for one, am definitely nervous...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending