The Student Room Group

Scottish Pre-Medical Courses Applicants 2021 Entry (A900, A1A1,A104)

Hello!
I have made this thread for potential applicants to the Scottish Pre-Medicine Courses for 2021 entry.

I am a first year medical student. Whilst I didn't study any of the pre-medicine courses for entry, I am aware that, often, there is limited information about these courses, such as competition ratios, interview processes, grade requirements, and eligibility criteria. I, along with any other medical students/pre-medicine students that wish to help, will try and help answer your questions. I hope this thread will improve accessibility to the information about these courses too, and help those with barriers to learning understand the potential benefits of undertaking one of these pre-medical courses as a pathway into the medicine courses in Scotland.

As a rough guide, here are the links for the courses below:

University of Dundee - Gateway to Medicine (MBChB) (A104): https://www.dundee.ac.uk/undergraduate/medicine-gateway

University of St. Andrews - Gateway to Medicine (MBChB): https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/gateway-to-medicine/

University of Glasgow - Glasgow Access Programme (A900): https://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/medicine/mus/admissions/glasgowaccessprogrammegap/

University of Aberdeen - Gateway to Medicine (A1A1): https://www.abdn.ac.uk/smmsn/undergraduate/g2m/index.php

I hope you find this thread useful in the upcoming months, particularly as interviews approach, and see this as an opportunity to share your feelings with others in a similar position to you!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Hello, do I need to take these courses if I will apply for medicine next year?
Reply 2
Original post by Sem/1
Hello, do I need to take these courses if I will apply for medicine next year?

Hello, no, these courses are for candidates who meet specific widening access criteria (reside in a specific postcode, are care leavers) and they are an extra year to prepare candidates before they enter the medical course.
For standard applicants you can apply to the standard A100 medicine courses :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by S_x_x
Hello, no, these courses are for candidates who meet specific widening access criteria (reside in a specific postcode, are care leavers) and they are an extra year to prepare candidates before they enter the medical course.
For standard applicants you can apply to the standard medicine courses :smile:

okay, thanks for your answer!
Hi I’d like to apply for medicine and I qualify for the pre-medical courses as I’m a nearly full time care giver. But I’m also thinking about completing the REACH program in S6 and getting reduced grades (of AAABB) but then I’d also have to take the UCAT exam. I got AAAAC this year for S5. Should I take the UCAT exam or should I just apply to medicine through the pre-medical access courses. -I’ve also done extracurriculars like a research placement, Sutton trust summer school, work experience with RSPB, DofE and I’m hoping to do some work experience in a hospital around January time.
Reply 5
Original post by Charlie286
Hi I’d like to apply for medicine and I qualify for the pre-medical courses as I’m a nearly full time care giver. But I’m also thinking about completing the REACH program in S6 and getting reduced grades (of AAABB) but then I’d also have to take the UCAT exam. I got AAAAC this year for S5. Should I take the UCAT exam or should I just apply to medicine through the pre-medical access courses. -I’ve also done extracurriculars like a research placement, Sutton trust summer school, work experience with RSPB, DofE and I’m hoping to do some work experience in a hospital around January time.

Hi, congratulations on your results!
I think the choice is entirely up to yourself. UCAT is not a requirement for the GAP programme, offered at the University of Glasgow. However, the UCAT is required for the pre-medicine course at Dundee and Aberdeen (either prior to application or during the year). As you have said, the UCAT is required for all standard entry medicine programme.
As a suggestion, You may want to apply to where your strengths lie. For example, you have many extracirricular activities, which will strengthen your personal statement, and many of the pre-medicine programmes place emphasis on the personal statement.
Looking at statistics, it is a bit more difficult to get into the standard courses for medicine in comparison to the pre-medicine courses, purely due to the raised entry requirements and number of applicants.
Hope this helps. :smile:
Hi would I still need to take the UCAT to apply to G2M Aberdeen ? Or anything other gateway program?
Reply 7
It’s best to check with the university themselves, however it does state on their website that the UCAT can be taken near the end of the G2M year. I would assume you do not need it, but you should send an email just to confirm with them.
As far as I’m aware, the only pre-medical course in Scotland not requiring the UCAT is the Glasgow access programme.
Hi,

Firstly, thank you for creating this thread!

I have a few questions regarding Glasgow’s A900 course if you are able to answer any of them, I would greatly appreciate it.

Is it possible to apply to the traditional Medicine A100 course at the University of Glasgow as well as the A900 GAP Programme in the same year of applying if you meet the requirements of both programmes? And if this is possible, would your application to both programmes be dealt with equally (both applications dealt with by different panels) and would you be disadvantaged in either programme if you apply to the other? If both programmes are dealt with by different panels, would they be able to see that the applicant has applied to the other programme?

Thank you very much for any help!
Reply 9
Original post by 4TheBrighterSide
Hi,

Firstly, thank you for creating this thread!

I have a few questions regarding Glasgow’s A900 course if you are able to answer any of them, I would greatly appreciate it.

Is it possible to apply to the traditional Medicine A100 course at the University of Glasgow as well as the A900 GAP Programme in the same year of applying if you meet the requirements of both programmes? And if this is possible, would your application to both programmes be dealt with equally (both applications dealt with by different panels) and would you be disadvantaged in either programme if you apply to the other? If both programmes are dealt with by different panels, would they be able to see that the applicant has applied to the other programme?

Thank you very much for any help!

Hey!
I would suggest sending them an email to: [email protected] , who would be able to help you with this.
Sorry I don't have the answer to this :frown:
Original post by S_x_x
Hey!
I would suggest sending them an email to: [email protected] , who would be able to help you with this.
Sorry I don't have the answer to this :frown:

Thanks!

I did end up emailing them and for anyone who is also considering both programmes, they say it is perfectly fine to apply to both but if you are given a place on the traditional A100 course, that takes precedent over the A900.
Reply 11
Thanks for clearing that up!
Hi,If you have sat the UCAT in 2020 for 2021 entry and gateway2medicine at aberdeen was one of your choices, does that mean you will have to sit the UCAT again after your gateway year?Also does doing gateway increase your chances of being accepted into that med school or is it still the same?
Reply 13
Original post by S_x_x
Hello!
I have made this thread for potential applicants to the Scottish Pre-Medicine Courses for 2021 entry.

I am a first year medical student. Whilst I didn't study any of the pre-medicine courses for entry, I am aware that, often, there is limited information about these courses, such as competition ratios, interview processes, grade requirements, and eligibility criteria. I, along with any other medical students/pre-medicine students that wish to help, will try and help answer your questions. I hope this thread will improve accessibility to the information about these courses too, and help those with barriers to learning understand the potential benefits of undertaking one of these pre-medical courses as a pathway into the medicine courses in Scotland.

As a rough guide, here are the links for the courses below:

University of Dundee - Gateway to Medicine (MBChB) (A104): https://www.dundee.ac.uk/undergraduate/medicine-gateway

University of St. Andrews - Gateway to Medicine (MBChB): https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/gateway-to-medicine/

University of Glasgow - Glasgow Access Programme (A900): https://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/medicine/mus/admissions/glasgowaccessprogrammegap/

University of Aberdeen - Gateway to Medicine (A1A1): https://www.abdn.ac.uk/smmsn/undergraduate/g2m/index.php

I hope you find this thread useful in the upcoming months, particularly as interviews approach, and see this as an opportunity to share your feelings with others in a similar position to you!

Hi, I was just wondering if tou know around what time does Glasgow offer interviews, because I am worried. After submitting my application Glasgow uni asked for quite a few papers, I guess that could mean they are considerimg me as a possible successfull applicant, however I have not heard anything since about 3 weeks ago. Also, do you know around what time does Glasgow gives out offers? Because I know Dundee have been giving out some this past week, but I've got no clue on Glasgow. Thanks beforehand
Original post by annapj
Hi, I was just wondering if tou know around what time does Glasgow offer interviews, because I am worried. After submitting my application Glasgow uni asked for quite a few papers, I guess that could mean they are considerimg me as a possible successfull applicant, however I have not heard anything since about 3 weeks ago. Also, do you know around what time does Glasgow gives out offers? Because I know Dundee have been giving out some this past week, but I've got no clue on Glasgow. Thanks beforehand

Hi did you apply to GAP (A900) or Medicine (A100) at Glasgow ?
Original post by anonymoustravel
Hi,If you have sat the UCAT in 2020 for 2021 entry and gateway2medicine at aberdeen was one of your choices, does that mean you will have to sit the UCAT again after your gateway year?Also does doing gateway increase your chances of being accepted into that med school or is it still the same?

If you received a UCAT score of more than 2380 (2020 year) then they may say you do not need to sit it again. The UCAT score you're expected to meet is the minimum score an applicant got for that test who was invited to interview if that makes sense? So the University waits for all applications, and the applicant with the lowest score invited to interview in that year is the UCAT score you would need to get to progress into Med. also for gateway, you’re basically guaranteed a place for medicine providing you meet requirements: Pass G2M courses, suitable MMI and UCAT. So as long as you reach the minimum UCAT score and pass the course exams and the MMI decently, you should be good. 👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending