The Student Room Group

Newcastle University A101 2021 Entry

Welcome to the Newcastle University A101 2021 Entry Discussion.

Newcastle A101 2020 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6022590

For general information click: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/a101/

For entry requirements click: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/a101/#entryrequirements

Newcastle A100 / A101 2021 Offer Holders' thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6932538

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

So on the Newcastle Uni website it says:
"Applicants must: be a practicing health care professional with a post-registration qualification"
Forgive me if this is a silly question but I'm not sure how they've defined a "practicing healthcare professional" and I'm also not quite sure what a "post-registration qualification" is.
This time next year, I will have be qualified with a BSc Biomedical Science degree and currently work in elderly care. I don't know if any of that is relevant but, if anyone could shed some light i would be forever grateful.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Aysha2312
So on the Newcastle Uni website it says:

Please keep your discussions about Newcastle A101 2021 in this dedicated thread. Thank you :smile:

Post originally created by ecolier.
Hey everyone, I'm aiming for Newcastle GEM for next year (high bar I know!). I hope to meet some of you next year :smile:I am taking the UCAT on August 20th, I am hoping to do well but it can just be so random so we'll see.
Oopsies, technology will always get the better of me, my bad!
Original post by rhysradford97
Hey everyone, I'm aiming for Newcastle GEM for next year (high bar I know!). I hope to meet some of you next year :smile:I am taking the UCAT on August 20th, I am hoping to do well but it can just be so random so we'll see.

Ey up! I'll be taking the UCAT on the 18th, best of luck!
Ey up! I'll be taking the UCAT on the 18th, best of luck!

And yourself! I am worried I'm underestimating it atm. I'm looking to probably score 3000+ (based on other years entry benchmarks)
And yourself! I am worried I'm underestimating it atm. I'm looking to probably score 3000+ (based on other years entry benchmarks)

Woahhhhhhh aiming high! Just wish i had that much self confidence! I don't know what I'm aiming for, looking at scores and things like that tends to stress me out so I'm just going to play it by ear and hope for the best! XD
Woahhhhhhh aiming high! Just wish i had that much self confidence! I don't know what I'm aiming for, looking at scores and things like that tends to stress me out so I'm just going to play it by ear and hope for the best! XD

I just wanna aim high and then if I fall short I've still done well!

Also answering your other q, I'm pretty sure you have to be either/or a graduate or be a registered professional, so as you're gonna be a graduate I wouldn't worry about it except a potential thing to reflect on in interview :smile:
Reply 9
hey guys! also wanting to apply to Newcastle! would 3050 be competitive compared to the other years past cut-offs?
Original post by ao4399
hey guys! also wanting to apply to Newcastle! would 3050 be competitive compared to the other years past cut-offs?

I posted the same thing in another thread, I have 3080 so very similar! I basically got told yes, the highest ever cut off was 2940 !
Reply 11
I posted the same thing in another thread, I have 3080 so very similar! I basically got told yes, the highest ever cut off was 2940 !

thank you! and well done on your score that's amazing!!
Reply 12
hi everyone! planning on applying for newcastle, have my UCAT on 10th sep! i was wondering if people know about application stats and stuff. I have heard Newcastle is hard to get into as so few places
i was wondering firstly, if you get a score above the cut off, do they generally offer you an interview?
also what the stats are for people who get to interview vs people who get offers
and finally, if people know how many applications they receive per year and how many people they usually invite to interview?
Original post by BEllenK
hi everyone! planning on applying for newcastle, have my UCAT on 10th sep! i was wondering if people know about application stats and stuff. I have heard Newcastle is hard to get into as so few places
i was wondering firstly, if you get a score above the cut off, do they generally offer you an interview?
also what the stats are for people who get to interview vs people who get offers
and finally, if people know how many applications they receive per year and how many people they usually invite to interview?

Hello!

This will give you most of the info you're after

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacuk/schoolofmedicaleducation/UKCAT%20thresholds%20and%20application%20numbers%20for%20past%20five%20years%20June%202020.pdf

As long as you're either a: registered health professional with 2 years experience or a 2:1 holder in any undergraduate degree, that's enough to get interview if you get over the cut-off. In previous years, you are more or less guaranteed an interview if you fufill these two requirements. Having said that, Newcastle has the highest UCAT cut off in the country and you will probs need to score in the top 5ish% to get over it.

I think on average they interview around 100 people for 25 places, so your chances are decent once you're over the initial hurdle of the UCAT
Hello!

This will give you most of the info you're after

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacuk/schoolofmedicaleducation/UKCAT%20thresholds%20and%20application%20numbers%20for%20past%20five%20years%20June%202020.pdf

As long as you're either a: registered health professional with 2 years experience or a 2:1 holder in any undergraduate degree, that's enough to get interview if you get over the cut-off. In previous years, you are more or less guaranteed an interview if you fufill these two requirements. Having said that, Newcastle has the highest UCAT cut off in the country and you will probs need to score in the top 5ish% to get over it.

I think on average they interview around 100 people for 25 places, so your chances are decent once you're over the initial hurdle of the UCAT

this is interesting - does this mean that they don't accept applicants w a predicted 2:1 in an ug degree or is it only those with a completed degree
So am I right in saying that if you achieve a score above the Newcastle cutoff for the UCAT and have a 2:1 in any degree (or are an Healthcare professional etc), you are basically guaranteed an interview? Does anything else come into it?
Newcastle rank people based entirely on their UCAT (providing you meet the academic requirement). The cut off changes each year as they take the top 100 applicants from that list to interview
Original post by beanie703
Newcastle rank people based entirely on their UCAT (providing you meet the academic requirement). The cut off changes each year as they take the top 100 applicants from that list to interview

Ahh ok, that's interesting! I didn't realise they limited it to specifically the top 100 applicants. Is it 25 places too? (Assume it isn't subject to change as a result to the change in rules this year)
As far as I’m aware, approx top 100 and 25 places - I would have thought they give out a few more offers though as with everywhere in case of people choosing elsewhere to study
I'm a bit confused why if Newcastle has an incredibly high benchmark for UCAT score (e.g. the highest GEM UCAT benchmark in the country) why they get so many applicants? Like upward of 1000. Like surely a lot of those applicants are quite far off the benchmark. I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I'm not trying to critique or gatekeep I'm just confused about that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending