The Student Room Group

doing entire maths a level and exam in year 12?

continuing on from this thread (context) - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6624424
:

Right so after discussing over email with the head of maths and head of studies of my school today, I have now been aware that when you do the maths A level at the end of year 12, if you do not get an A or A star, then you must drop further maths(which you start in year 13) and retake maths in year 13. As I had originally picked Maths, Physics and Further Maths (only three a levels), if I was unable to get an A or above, I would be in danger of only doing 2 A Levels in year 13, as further would have been dropped. So, they have insisted I do 4 A levels, so I would still have to study three A levels in year 13, not 2. So I have decided to pick Maths, Physics, Further and Product Design. The problem is that I want to go Imperial for artificial intelligence, who require an a star in normal maths, and prefer further maths over product design. For me to attend that uni, I would have to work really hard and try to achieve an a star in maths in one year, or at least getting an A, meaning that if I had to drop further maths, I would find it difficult to get an AI degree at Uni (as further maths is very essential to this). I know that this is very complex, however I will be discussing more over the phone with my head of maths, to discuss these scenarios. Getting an A or A star (preferred) is a lot of hard work to achieve in one year and I am willing to take that hard work and dedication.

Because me wanting to go to a top uni means I HAVE to get an A star in maths or even an A.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Fifty345
continuing on from this thread (context) - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6624424
:

Right so after discussing over email with the hierarchy of my school today, I have now been aware that when you do the maths A level at the end of year 12, if you do not get an A or A star, then you must drop further maths(which you start in year 13) and retake maths in year 13. As I had originally picked Maths, Physics and Further Maths (only three a levels), if I was unable to get an A or above, I would be in danger of only doing 2 A Levels in year 13, as further would have been dropped. So, they have insisted I do 4 A levels, so I would still have to study three A levels in year 13, not 2. So I have decided to pick Maths, Physics, Further and Product Design. The problem is that I want to go Imperial for artificial intelligence, who require an a star in normal maths, and prefer further maths over product design. For me to attend that uni, I would have to work really hard and try to achieve an a star in maths in one year, or at least getting an A, meaning that if I had to drop further maths, I would find it difficult to get an AI degree at Uni (as further maths is very essential to this). I know that this is very complex, however I will be discussing more over the phone with my head of maths, to discuss these scenarios. Getting an A or A star (preferred) is a lot of hard work to achieve in one year and I am willing to take that hard work and dedication.

Is there any way for you to go to a different sixth form that allows you to take both maths and further maths at the end of year 13? It would probably be a lot less work, as you wouldn't be cramming entire alevels into one year, and you wouldn't be forced to take an extra subject.
Reply 2
Original post by Bill V2
Is there any way for you to go to a different sixth form that allows you to take both maths and further maths at the end of year 13? It would probably be a lot less work, as you wouldn't be cramming entire alevels into one year, and you wouldn't be forced to take an extra subject.

I don't really fell comfortable going to another sixth form, as I have been more than happy here since year 7. I love it. I have, however got accepted into a few other sixth forms, and I get your point.
Reply 3
I don't really fell comfortable going to another sixth form, as I have been more than happy here since year 7. I love it. I have, however got accepted into a few other sixth forms, and I get your point.

If I were you, I would definitely at least consider going to a different one, although if you do really like it there, then you may decide to stay. Going to a sixth form that you like with supportive teachers etc will be a lot better for your grades than going to one you don't like!
Reply 4
Original post by Bill V2
If I were you, I would definitely at least consider going to a different one, although if you do really like it there, then you may decide to stay. Going to a sixth form that you like with supportive teachers etc will be a lot better for your grades than going to one you don't like!

Staying here would be tough work as I need to complete a maths a level in only year 12 with the exam PLUS get an A or A star, which means I would have to work hard a lot. Either way, before entering year 13, an a level would have been dropped (refer back to my initial post ). I love my current school and I'm too worried to adapt to new teachers and classmates and a new enviroenment
Reply 5
im in a bit of a dilemma aren't I???
Reply 6
Staying here would be tough work as I need to complete a maths a level in only year 12 with the exam PLUS get an A or A star, which means I would have to work hard a lot. Either way, before entering year 13, an a level would have been dropped (refer back to my initial post ). I love my current school and I'm too worried to adapt to new teachers and classmates and a new enviroenment

You need to decide what you are more worried about - a change in environment, or the amount of work you're gonna get.
Getting used to chnage can be a good thing - in a couple of years you're gonna be going off to uni!

I appreciate what a tough decision this is though!
Reply 7
Original post by Bill V2
You need to decide what you are more worried about - a change in environment, or the amount of work you're gonna get.
Getting used to chnage can be a good thing - in a couple of years you're gonna be going off to uni!

I appreciate what a tough decision this is though!

Yes but in terms of getting an exceptional reference to the top unis, imperial in my circumstance, my current school would fit there.
Reply 8
im in a bit of a dilemma aren't I???

because me wanting to go to a top uni means I HAVE to get an A star in maths or even an A.
Reply 9
at my college we do exactly that; whole maths a level in year 12. it's difficult and many drop out but there like a 70% A/A* rate. if you love maths and your good at it then it should be no problem for you as it was for me.
Yes but in terms of getting an exceptional reference to the top unis, imperial in my circumstance, my current school would fit there.

You're also going to need exceptional grades, which is gonna be made more difficult if you're fast tracked through 2 subjects, and forced to take an extra one. By no means is it impossible, and as someone else said, very much possible if you enjoy maths and are good at it, but it's certainly not the easier option.

In regards to getting a good reference, it doesn't matter how long you've been at the school for / how long they have known you.
(edited 3 years ago)
:

Right so after discussing over email with the hierarchy of my school today, I have now been aware that when you do the maths A level at the end of year 12, if you do not get an A or A star, then you must drop further maths(which you start in year 13) and retake maths in year 13. As I had originally picked Maths, Physics and Further Maths (only three a levels), if I was unable to get an A or above, I would be in danger of only doing 2 A Levels in year 13, as further would have been dropped. So, they have insisted I do 4 A levels, so I would still have to study three A levels in year 13, not 2. So I have decided to pick Maths, Physics, Further and Product Design. The problem is that I want to go Imperial for artificial intelligence, who require an a star in normal maths, and prefer further maths over product design. For me to attend that uni, I would have to work really hard and try to achieve an a star in maths in one year, or at least getting an A, meaning that if I had to drop further maths, I would find it difficult to get an AI degree at Uni (as further maths is very essential to this). I know that this is very complex, however I will be discussing more over the phone with my head of maths, to discuss these scenarios. Getting an A or A star (preferred) is a lot of hard work to achieve in one year and I am willing to take that hard work and dedication.

Because me wanting to go to a top uni means I HAVE to get an A star in maths or even an A.

i have the same thing( i took 4 subject you had to in my school but the rule is the same the school cant deny your education ) but legal they cant kick you out the class they can strongly advice you to as long as you are coming to every lesson and attitude to learning is good
Reply 12
Original post by Bill V2
You're also going to need exceptional grades, which is gonna be made more difficult if you're fast tracked through 2 subjects, and forced to take an extra one. By no means is it impossible, and as someone else said, very much possible if you enjoy maths and are good at it, but it's certainly not the easier option.

when you say fast tracked by two subjects do you mean maths and further maths ( maths I do in year 12 and further maths I do in year 13). Also as I said before, I will not be sticking to 4 subjects in year 13. I will only do four subjects in year 12 (which is still a lot i guess as i have to heavily concentrate on maths). If i get an A or A star in maths, I will drop product design and not take it in year 13( so then I am only doing two subjects in year 13 then, further maths and physics.) If i get below an A in Maths in year 12, I will have no choice but to drop further maths and resit maths in year 13, and keep physics and product design. Hope this makes sense. I know it is complex to understand.

My school [along with many others] does this and if you are considering F Maths then an A or A* should be straightforward. You get all lessons as Maths in Year 12 rather than half of them - we only offer it as a 4 A level option though.
when you say fast tracked by two subjects do you mean maths and further maths ( maths I do in year 12 and further maths I do in year 13). Also as I said before, I will not be sticking to 4 subjects in year 13. I will only do four subjects in year 12 (which is still a lot i guess as i have to heavily concentrate on maths). If i get an A or A star in maths, I will drop product design and not take it in year 13( so then I am only doing two subjects in year 13 then, further maths and physics.) If i get below an A in Maths in year 12, I will have no choice but to drop further maths and resit maths in year 13, and keep physics and product design. Hope this makes sense. I know it is complex to understand.

Yeah when I say fast tracked I mean you will only have one year for maths and one year for FM.

Ah - I didn't realize you could drop PD if you get a good enough grade in maths! Still, PD will probably take up a lot of your time in year 12, as I think it has quite a lot of coursework? (Although I don't know if you only do that in year 13 or what).
It's your choice - but you sound like you enjoy maths and are quite good at it, so it's definitely doable, even if it is a lot of work.
Reply 15
Original post by Bill V2
Yeah when I say fast tracked I mean you will only have one year for maths and one year for FM.

Ah - I didn't realize you could drop PD if you get a good enough grade in maths! Still, PD will probably take up a lot of your time in year 12, as I think it has quite a lot of coursework? (Although I don't know if you only do that in year 13 or what).
It's your choice - but you sound like you enjoy maths and are quite good at it, so it's definitely doable, even if it is a lot of work.

aha thanks, so yes if i get a good enough grade in maths, I can drop PD, as i would still be able to achieve three a levels: Maths Physics and Further M. So im basically choosing PD as my backup in case I get below an A in Maths. Either way, 4 A levels is still tough in just year 12. Have you ever seen a problem like what I'm facing atm, because I never thought I would have such a dilemma.
aha thanks, so yes if i get a good enough grade in maths, I can drop PD, as i would still be able to achieve three a levels: Maths Physics and Further M. So im basically choosing PD as my backup in case I get below an A in Maths. Either way, 4 A levels is still tough in just year 12. Have you ever seen a problem like what I'm facing atm, because I never thought I would have such a dilemma.

This is a normal load for Maths/F Maths - you are only actually studying 3 at a time.

What GCSE grade are you expecting for Maths?

I know that quite a lot of schools do maths in year 12 and further maths in year 13 - it can't be such a terrible idea if a lot of schools do it this way :laugh:
I think im misunderstanding here - are you doing maths in year 12 and FM in year 13, or are you doing maths in year 12, and FM over both years? Because if you're only doing FM in year 13, wouldn't you only be taking 3 subjects in year 12, and not 4?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Muttley79
This is a normal load for Maths/F Maths - you are only actually studying 3 at a time.

What GCSE grade are you expecting for Maths?

I wanted a 9 but because of calculated grades this year I will probably get an 8
Reply 19
Original post by Bill V2
I know that quite a lot of schools do maths in year 12 and further maths in year 13 - it can't be such a terrible idea if a lot of schools do it this way :laugh:
I think im misunderstanding here - are you doing maths in year 12 and FM in year 13, or are you doing maths in year 12, and FM over both years? Because if you're only doing FM in year 13, wouldn't you only be taking 3 subjects in year 12, and not 4?

Haha okay thanks for ur help

Quick Reply

Latest