The Student Room Group

Was I wrong to be "racist"?

My brother's best friend is a complete jerk and thinks he's very smart or something just because he's Asian. He always acts like he's better than everyone even though he's not. I really don't understand why my brother is still friends with him, but anything is possible, I suppose.

Fast forward to a few days ago and my brother threw a house party. It was nice in the beginning. I was sitting with my brother, his girlfriend and some of his friends. We all had a great time and I really enjoyed the party. Everything was fine until his best friend and some other friends came and joined us. His best friend started telling blonde jokes on purpose just to make me look bad. I told him to shut up but he called me a "dumb blonde" and made fun of my intelligence. I asked him what the **** was wrong with him and he said "females are stupid, especially those with blonde hair and blue eyes." I got really mad and made the slant eye gesture and told him that he should go back to Asia. He left and some of his friends told me I was being racist. However, my brother's girlfriend defended me and said I did the right thing by standing up for myself. My brother was neutral and so was most of his friends.

I know I may have overreacted, but I really can't stand this **** of a misogynist. He has been bullying and harassing me for years.

Was I wrong in this situation?

I'm a 14 year old girl and my brother is 18. His friend is also 18.

Scroll to see replies

disgusting behaviour
who do you think you are?
Reply 2
Your brother's friend sounds like a prick, and so do you.
Two wrongs dont make a right.
Original post by Anonymous
My brother's best friend is a complete jerk and thinks he's very smart or something just because he's Asian. He always acts like he's better than everyone even though he's not. I really don't understand why my brother is still friends with him, but anything is possible, I suppose.

Fast forward to a few days ago and my brother threw a house party. It was nice in the beginning. I was sitting with my brother, his girlfriend and some of his friends. We all had a great time and I really enjoyed the party. Everything was fine until his best friend and some other friends came and joined us. His best friend started telling blonde jokes on purpose just to make me look bad. I told him to shut up but he called me a "dumb blonde" and made fun of my intelligence. I asked him what the **** was wrong with him and he said "females are stupid, especially those with blonde hair and blue eyes." I got really mad and made the slant eye gesture and told him that he should go back to Asia. He left and some of his friends told me I was being racist. However, my brother's girlfriend defended me and said I did the right thing by standing up for myself. My brother was neutral and so was most of his friends.

I know I may have overreacted, but I really can't stand this **** of a misogynist. He has been bullying and harassing me for years.

You're in the wrong. I hope you can reflect and realise you did a disgusting thing.
Being blonde is not a protected characteristic, he can call you ah dumb blonde however much he wants, where as you could be arrested for your behaviour.
you were wrong to do that
was*
I don't think you were wrong. He made fun of the way you look and you made fun of the way he looks. Seems fair to me.
I don't think you were wrong. He made fun of the way you look and you made fun of the way he looks. Seems fair to me.

No. One is illegal and one is not. That's not fair, that's racist. Being blonde isn't a race.
Original post by khadijaaaxxxx
disgusting behaviour
who do you think you are?

and the friend insulting OP because she had blonde hair wasn't disgusting?
Reply 9
Pretty unpleasant all round. He started the race stuff (and sexism), but what you did was worse.

Better to think of other responses and not resort to racist stuff next time, as it only makes you look bad, not him.
lmao thanks
I'm always racist to my close mates and they are back to me; if it's all in play and both sides are happy with it then fine.

In your situation I think you should have used your supposed superior intelligence to shut him down without using what he was agitating you with as that's rather ironic.
No. One is illegal and one is not. That's not fair, that's racist. Being blonde isn't a race.

how is being insulted about the colour of your hair and eyes any different to being insulted about the colour of your skin?
and the friend insulting OP because she had blonde hair wasn't disgusting

how is being insulted about the colour of your hair and eyes any different to being insulted about the colour of your skin?

Because race is a protected characteristic, the colour of your hair is not!

You know very well the answer to your question.
right, so calling a girl stupid is a joke?
Because race is a protected characteristic, the colour of your hair is not!

morally, there is zero difference
morally, there is zero difference

Wow, I think we found another racist over here!
he was being sexist - I would argue people shouldn't be sexist either.
and the friend insulting OP because she had blonde hair wasn't disgusting?

are you being serious right now? no one should EVER resort to racism , no matter what.
stop justifying op's disgusting behaviour

Latest

Trending

Trending