The Student Room Group

national 5 and highers (physics)

Heyy, i am currently in 5th year and am thinking of dropping computing science (which i crashed) as I am finding it too difficult. I went over the nat 5 and am still finding it confusing. I've decided to crash higher physics and for that, i reckon u'd need to look over the nat 5-course . Is there any particular parts that i should look over in the nat 5 course, to save time as i don't have much time left before school starts for physics to be able to do higher?
Really you need to be strong on the whole course as a lot of it in Higher is an expansion of Nat 5. I'm doing AH any year, any questions, feel free to drop me a DM :smile:
Bits that are least important I'd probably say is Radiation, doesn't really come up in Higher. Small bits of topics that are probably not *essential* but again, would help your understanding I'd say is Diffraction, Heat Energy (E = cm(deltaT), and some of the space stuff is a bit irrelevant.
Original post by janders2
Really you need to be strong on the whole course as a lot of it in Higher is an expansion of Nat 5. I'm doing AH any year, any questions, feel free to drop me a DM :smile:

Ty for the reply. I saw some posts on here that said if u have limited time then there are some specific topics from the nat 5 course that you should go over. I have like 3 days till school starts, not much time left.
Bits that are least important I'd probably say is Radiation, doesn't really come up in Higher. Small bits of topics that are probably not *essential* but again, would help your understanding I'd say is Diffraction, Heat Energy (E = cm(deltaT), and some of the space stuff is a bit irrelevant.

Oo ok thx:gthumb:
It really depends on what you're starting with in school. Electricity - it's definitely a good start to understand Ohm's Law (V = IR), the relationships between power, voltage etc.

For waves - understand basic mechanics. Different types of wave, the relationship between wavelengths and frequencies, amplitude etc.

For dynamics - Acceleration and motion equations, finding the area underneath graphs etc. This is expanded on quite a bit. Also be comfortable with scalars and vectors, ways to manipulate those (resultant forces etc. e.g. 5N to the right and 10N to the left has a resultant force of 5N to the left)

That's really the basis to get you started, like I say however, the more confident you are with N5, the easier you'll find Higher. Any questions, I'm here to help!
It really depends on what you're starting with in school. Electricity - it's definitely a good start to understand Ohm's Law (V = IR), the relationships between power, voltage etc.

For waves - understand basic mechanics. Different types of wave, the relationship between wavelengths and frequencies, amplitude etc.

For dynamics - Acceleration and motion equations, finding the area underneath graphs etc. This is expanded on quite a bit. Also be comfortable with scalars and vectors, ways to manipulate those (resultant forces etc. e.g. 5N to the right and 10N to the left has a resultant force of 5N to the left)

That's really the basis to get you started, like I say however, the more confident you are with N5, the easier you'll find Higher. Any questions, I'm here to help!

I went over the whole course of national 5 physics on bbc bitesize. I don't have much time left. Was going over the bitesize notes this weekend. School's starting tomorrow. Is it possible to just take higher and revise/study as you got through the year without having fully grasped the national 5 course?
Original post by Anna augustine
I went over the whole course of national 5 physics on bbc bitesize. I don't have much time left. Was going over the bitesize notes this weekend. School's starting tomorrow. Is it possible to just take higher and revise/study as you got through the year without having fully grasped the national 5 course?

of course its doable, may be a bit of a challenge though, depending on how many other highers youre doing. best of luck! as i said, if theres anything i can help with i will
of course its doable, may be a bit of a challenge though, depending on how many other highers youre doing. best of luck! as i said, if theres anything i can help with i will

am doing 5 highers. And ty for the offer of help, appreciate it:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending