The Student Room Group

The Gap Year Thread 2020-21!

The Gap Year Thread 2020-21 !
Taking a gap year for academic year 2020-21? Well this is the thread for you. :awesome:

There are lots of people who've been talking about doing a gap year next academic year: perhaps retaking some A Levels or doing other qualifications, perhaps just weighing up your options and applying to university, perhaps getting some job/life/travel experience before your next steps!

Introduce yourself below!

Username/Name:
What you're doing with your year:
Plans for after your gap year:
Favourite soft drink:

Give as much or as little detail as you're comfortable with. :yep:

If you're applying/reapplying for universities to start in September 2021 entry, check out the threads for applicants here. :smile:

There's also some information about retaking your exams and sitting the sitting the Autumn exam series here. :biggrin:

If you'd like anything adding to the OP just let me know. :woo:

Scroll to see replies

Hi, my name is izzy and ive just finished my alevels and am looking to go on a gap year! However all my friends are going to uni or have other gap year plans, so I was just wondering if anyone would be up to go with me on my travels?

I haven't set in stone any places in particular, but a few of my ideas include; New Zealand, Europe or Asia. I would also probably have to work for a few months so would be looking at starting in January 2021, however I also would like to try working abroad, so this is something we could potentially do together and would mean that we could start later this year instead of next!

Please message me if you like the sound of this or even just to discuss potential ideas, I won't be offended if you decide i am not the right person for you :smile:!!

Thank you !!
Original post by isabellebeech
Hi, my name is izzy and ive just finished my alevels and am looking to go on a gap year! However all my friends are going to uni or have other gap year plans, so I was just wondering if anyone would be up to go with me on my travels?

I haven't set in stone any places in particular, but a few of my ideas include; New Zealand, Europe or Asia. I would also probably have to work for a few months so would be looking at starting in January 2021, however I also would like to try working abroad, so this is something we could potentially do together and would mean that we could start later this year instead of next!

Please message me if you like the sound of this or even just to discuss potential ideas, I won't be offended if you decide i am not the right person for you :smile:!!

Thank you !!

Hi Izzy due to maybe having to retake alevels in septemeber I am thinking of taking a gap year. How are you dealing with booking things and planning around COVID?
Original post by isabellebeech

Thank you !!

Hi Izzy :-)
I'm also taking a gap year but everything's so uncertain now, thanks to coronavirus, and I don't know what to do on my gap year at all. Any ideas, now that travelling may not be an option?
Feel free to dm me!
Heya Isabelle!I too have just finished my Alevel exams, and taking a gap year. Like you, I am planning to work the rest of this year to save up money for travels. Would love to be in contact with you to discuss our ideas and ambitions and see if we could be potential travel buddies!From Beth :smile:)
Hi all, same here :smile:)
Reply 6
Thought it could be cool to possibly make a group thread for people on a gap year this year so we can make fwens 👉👈
Going on two gap years 😂 hiya fwiend
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous17!
Going on two gap years 😂 hiya fwiend

Ayyy 👋🏿Heyyy
I Have a lot to do and a very long process ahead. First need to bump maths from a B to an A and appeal Econ (fingers crossed) to an A. Apply to aaa unis with aac ( c in geo). Hopefully should receive an offer and then just bang geo out in summer to an A. Wow a lot of things to be done with luck playing the a very very big role😫
Hey wanted to make this thread for students who are planning to take a gap year this year to connect with other gap year students, share our experiences, share what we will be up to and what are plans are for after our gap year (uni, jobs etc).

I will start:
I plan possibly resitting one A-Level and hopefully finding a paid internship or job for the first few months to hopefully travel for the last few months. Would be incredibly if I could find a job where there are also travel opportunities but that's highly unlikely.
Original post by jisakat
Hey wanted to make this thread for students who are planning to take a gap year this year to connect with other gap year students, share our experiences, share what we will be up to and what are plans are for after our gap year (uni, jobs etc).

I will start:
I plan possibly resitting one A-Level and hopefully finding a paid internship or job for the first few months to hopefully travel for the last few months. Would be incredibly if I could find a job where there are also travel opportunities but that's highly unlikely.

how are you going to get predicted grades and a reference if your going independent?
Original post by dyelbro
how are you going to get predicted grades and a reference if your going independent?

My school still offers support for those taking gap years so I will go to them to give me predicted grades and references
Hi, my name is Eve and I have also just finished year 13 at school. I'm taking a gap year and am hoping to go to new zealand in early 2021. I was wondering if you had found anybody yet to travel with or if you were still looking. I do want to travel around NZ but preferably not on my own!!
https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-statement/Commons/2020-06-23/HCWS310/

Does this apply to UK students who are taking a gap year and reapplying for 2021 entry? So do we have to pay international fees?
I'm hoping to sit Maths and Physics in October then reapply to uni with (hopefully) an A in both. Might consider doing history next year as I got a B in that but not sure yet. Applied to the Adam Smith Institute gap year job today so hopefully I get that. If not I'll keep my current job and go travelling/skiing.

What is everyone else's plans?
Decided in the last couple of days to take a gap year in hopes of going to Liverpool Uni next year. Trying to get some ideas together over the next few days as to what to do to make it worth while and gain something valuable from it haha. My main ideas are to try find extra courses to do, improve my spanish and hopefully find work in spain for a few months. Honestly nervous about it though because I never thought i would find myself in this situation.
Original post by CurryVader
https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-statement/Commons/2020-06-23/HCWS310/

Does this apply to UK students who are taking a gap year and reapplying for 2021 entry? So do we have to pay international fees?

- Please could you confirm this?
How much support are your schools/colleges giving you?
That's what I was confused about - I think the quote has been taken from the EU section for 19+ students. Gave me a right heart attack!!
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest