The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Have any of you had thoughts about which other unis you’ll be applying to?
Original post by rosacherry

Hopefully Imperial/Warwick (as my second aspirational choice, depending if I go for NatSci or Maths) and I like the looks of Bath and Southampton.

I’m also applying to the US, Harvard, Stanford and MIT for a track & field scholarship, but atm I cba to do any SAT work :/
What A-Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?

Maths, Chemistry , Physics, Further Maths.
2) What course at Cambridge do you have your eyes on? And why?

I would love to study physical natsci because I really like the style of Cambridge science courses and would love to be able to study multiple sciences at uni level, however when applying to other unis I will be studying physics because the other natsci courses don’t appeal to me as much as Cambridge.

3) What grades did you get at GCSE? Are you retaking any?

99999999 8

4) Why Cambridge specifically? and why not Oxford?

I really like the structure of Cambridge science degrees whereas at oxford you just study one science eg. Physics, so i would rather study at Cambridge.

5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?

NSAA, I will probably start preparing properly at the end of year 12/start of year 13 (probably over summer) .

6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?

I have done an online course from the university of york on nuclear physics which was really interesting, I have watched a lot of YouTube lectures on lots of topics including astrophysics and biological physics. I have also done quite a lot of Isaac physics questions to help improve my problem solving which will help for the NSAA.

7) What do you want to do with your degree from Cambridge?

I’m not entirely sure, I quite like the idea of working in academia and research but I’m not sure if I will do that, I would also really like to become a clinical medical physicist which is what I think I will do although the training scheme is quite competitive.

8) Have you decided which college you're applying to?

I’m not really sure yet, I’ve looked into a few colleges and like the look of Christ’s and Pembroke so probably one of those 2.
Original post by rosacherry

I would like to apply to Durham and possibly Warwick, Leeds, Lancaster, Manchester or Birmingham but I’m not really sure yet.
Yes: Cambridge, LSE, Kings, Warwick and Cardiff
Cambridge or possibly oxford, LSE, ucl, Durham and then one of Bristol, Edinburgh, St. Andrews or Warwick
Thoughts on iPads for notes?
Original post by zacn01
Thoughts on iPads for notes?

I trialled using it (iPad pro + Apple pen) for a few months for GCSES - it was useful for doing past papers (for my science and maths GCSES), but I prefer hand writing my notes and essays- also I didn't use it at all for my essay subjects (which are what I'm doing for A Level and why I have decided against it for me personally.) If it's a decision between a laptop and an iPad I would definitely say laptop. What would you envisage using the iPad for?
Original post by highlighters0312
I trialled using it (iPad pro + Apple pen) for a few months for GCSES - it was useful for doing past papers (for my science and maths GCSES), but I prefer hand writing my notes and essays- also I didn't use it at all for my essay subjects (which are what I'm doing for A Level and why I have decided against it for me personally.) If it's a decision between a laptop and an iPad I would definitely say laptop. What would you envisage using the iPad for?

Well I’m doing STEM in all my A level subjects and I plan to at uni, so it’d be for notes, concise (yet not necessarily detailed... that’s another problem, although I could put in the effort to make it aesthetic and also functional as notes, but that would take more time than just writing stuff down)- I guess it wastes less paper - I go through tonnes, my GCSE folders are full to the brim with (somewhat) irrelevant notes, my Year 10 stuff is separate and even more disorganised.

I think i’ll try get it for Christmas, I’ll save up or at least my birthday next April. Because I know a 1st year medic at Cam who started with the iPad in Year 12, and eventually everyone at his college caught on.

Also yeah I understand you not using the iPad for essays, even with the keyboard there isn’t the same vibe.
Original post by zacn01
Well I’m doing STEM in all my A level subjects and I plan to at uni, so it’d be for notes, concise (yet not necessarily detailed... that’s another problem, although I could put in the effort to make it aesthetic and also functional as notes, but that would take more time than just writing stuff down)- I guess it wastes less paper - I go through tonnes, my GCSE folders are full to the brim with (somewhat) irrelevant notes, my Year 10 stuff is separate and even more disorganised.

I think i’ll try get it for Christmas, I’ll save up or at least my birthday next April. Because I know a 1st year medic at Cam who started with the iPad in Year 12, and eventually everyone at his college caught on.

Also yeah I understand you not using the iPad for essays, even with the keyboard there isn’t the same vibe.

Ah yes if you’re doing STEM then i definitely recommend it! Had I continued with STEM I would have continued to use it. Do let me know how it goes! I used the app Goodnotes which was good, I think I may get one before I start Uni anyway because I know I won’t handwrite my lecture notes but I would want that halfway house. Ali Abdaal on youtube has some really good books on how he used his iPad!
*videos not books!
Original post by zacn01

Wanted to start this thread for those who are thinking of applying to

the University of Cambridge in 2021 for entry in 2022!

Even though we're only about to start Year 12, it wouldn't be so much of a bad idea to have a declaration of intent, to come back to every once in a while, or to stake out your competition, anything that can motivate you to be the best applicant possible.
Cambridge isn't the be-all and end-all of things but being aspirational doesn't hurt!
I'll try to update the thread with information & advice, as I'm a stickler for info.
Shamelessly lifted (slightly) from @New Wonder and @tash299792's threads, please reply to this thread introducing yourself:
(Don't worry if you haven't done a lot, this is a year in advance don't forget!)

1) What A Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?
2) What course at Cambridge do you have your eyes on? And why?
3) What grades did you get at GCSE? Are you retaking any?
4) Why Cambridge specifically? and why not Oxford?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?
6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?
7) What do you want to do with your degree from Cambridge?
8) Have you decided which college you're applying to?

Cambridge's Statement on GCSEs:
There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved.
Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five 7/8/9s at GCSE (an A is considered equivalent to 7 and an A* is considered equivalent to 8/9). However, there are always exceptions and we don’t require a minimum number of 7/8/9s at GCSE. One of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.
Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were attained, and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE.
September (Virtual) Open Day:
Book your attendance now!
From the Cambridge University website:
On Thursday 17 and Friday 18 September you will have the opportunity ask current students and staff questions in live general, subject and College Q&A sessions. Please note that the live online sessions offered on Thursday 17 and Friday 18 September will be broadly the same on both days.

Additionally, from Monday 14 September to Sunday 20 September, you will be able to find out about the University and Colleges by accessing pre-recorded presentations about our courses, the Colleges and departments, the application process, student life, and finance. A programme containing full details will be released in mid-September.

Useful Links/Threads
Oxford Demystified: by @Oxford Mum - A book containing extremely helpful information on how to make your application to Oxford (even when not applying to Oxford, this info can go a long way into making you a stronger application regardless) - also subject chapters written by offer holders detailing (within TSR rules) how they made successful applications to Oxford! Something that will come in handy when we make our applications next year for sure! link

Cambridge Demystified: by @Oxford Mum - For slightly more relevant information pertaining to Cambridge, this is also an invaluable tool that we can use to really 'suss out' how other people have made successful applications. Remember however that thousands of applicants make perfectly valid cases of themselves (without being successful), so this is a guide in the right direction rather than solid law when it comes to our applications. link

General Oxbridge Resources: When it comes to university, not every applicant has equal exposure, therefore it is up to those with the information to divulge it. Kindly, @Oxford Mum has decided to devote a thread for this aforementioned purpose, for the benefit of us prospective Cambridge applicants. link

For all your questions, @Peterhouse Admissions is quite active on this site, and so feel free to

Spoiler

ask them anything regarding admissions and Cambridge in general!

Good luck everyone!!

1. Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry
2. Pretty sure I'll apply for Natural Sciences, I can't see myself doing anything else.
3. 9999999999, so no retaking
4. Cambridge offer Natural Sciences which for me is much more ideal because I'd love to delve more into Chemistry as well as Physics, and it would be so interesting to take a module such as Materials (I'll be reading Stuff Matters soon, let's see if I enjoy Materials!) Plus Cambridge is closer (I'm very close with my family and if I went to Cambridge I'd only need to take a 30 minute train to get back home) and I LOVE the architecture and the feel of it as a whole.
5. Haven't looked into it all that much, but there's defo a pre interview admissions test for natsci. Plus STEP maybe? Not completely sure, it's still a while away so not to worry.
6. I started doing Isaac Physics, Brilliant and read a bunch of Physics and Maths books, not necessarily for personal statement, I just absolutely love books on science's history, and astrophysics. I also think I'm starting to enjoy Mechanics quite a fair bit - didn't like it much in Year 10 or 11! Also did a MOOC on Atmospheric Chemistry, and watched some documentaries.
7. Not sure yet... wayyyy too far from now. I don't even know what modules I would take in First Year if I attended. Research would be nice though.
8. No, but I quite like the look and feel of Christ's, Pembroke, Selwyn, Trinity Hall and Gonville and Caius.
And wow... 1.5k questions on Isaac?! I've only done just over 200 from the time I started (1 month ago I reckon). You'll probably win that summer school trip to Cambridge then! Senior Physics Challenge or something along the lines of that name. Also, have you applied for the mentoring scheme on Isaac?
Original post by a_sadek91
1. Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry
2. Pretty sure I'll apply for Natural Sciences, I can't see myself doing anything else.
3. 9999999999, so no retaking
4. Cambridge offer Natural Sciences which for me is much more ideal because I'd love to delve more into Chemistry as well as Physics, and it would be so interesting to take a module such as Materials (I'll be reading Stuff Matters soon, let's see if I enjoy Materials!) Plus Cambridge is closer (I'm very close with my family and if I went to Cambridge I'd only need to take a 30 minute train to get back home) and I LOVE the architecture and the feel of it as a whole.
5. Haven't looked into it all that much, but there's defo a pre interview admissions test for natsci. Plus STEP maybe? Not completely sure, it's still a while away so not to worry.
6. I started doing Isaac Physics, Brilliant and read a bunch of Physics and Maths books, not necessarily for personal statement, I just absolutely love books on science's history, and astrophysics. I also think I'm starting to enjoy Mechanics quite a fair bit - didn't like it much in Year 10 or 11! Also did a MOOC on Atmospheric Chemistry, and watched some documentaries.
7. Not sure yet... wayyyy too far from now. I don't even know what modules I would take in First Year if I attended. Research would be nice though.
8. No, but I quite like the look and feel of Christ's, Pembroke, Selwyn, Trinity Hall and Gonville and Caius.
And wow... 1.5k questions on Isaac?! I've only done just over 200 from the time I started (1 month ago I reckon). You'll probably win that summer school trip to Cambridge then! Senior Physics Challenge or something along the lines of that name. Also, have you applied for the mentoring scheme on Isaac?

Yeahh I mean that’s attempted :smile: so much less completed, but then again I haven’t actually learnt AS content fully so the little i’ve done in Level 3,4,5 is pretty inaccessible anyways. I’ve signed up for Mentoring, so hopefully I get a few Physics problems to solve after I’ve completed work. Nice to see a fellow NatSci applicant though, I just need to see whether I prefer Maths or Chemistry to see which way I go!
Still though, if you've attempted so many then you have a really good mindset - it means you're not scared to attempt things you haven't learn yet. And yeah, it's pretty frustrating sometimes because even some of the Level 2 questions cover AS content which means I can't do that many. And yeah, to be honest I'm kind of doubting how much I liked Chemistry at GCSE - I have a feeling alot of my love for the subject was because it was such a breeze for me at GCSE level, so it appealed to me more. Guess A-Level will tell me whether or not I truly enjoy Chem! Maybe I'll end up switching to Maths with Phys too hahaha
Here's a great new chapter from Cambridge Demystified:

Engineering

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6668306&p=90741052#post90741052

Many thanks to @AwesomePandaCat
Original post by Oxford Mum
Here's a great new chapter from Cambridge Demystified:

Engineering

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6668306&p=90741052#post90741052

Many thanks to @AwesomePandaCat

Brilliant!
Off to Cambridge today. After having visited Oxford on Wednesday and Saturday, I wonder how the city has altered during Covid-19.

Oxford is a much quieter, more muted place. The summer tourists that used to throng the High are sparser.

Here's an article from the Financial Times about Cambridge:

https://www.ft.com/content/2f7940c6-b71a-46fe-8179-9e033f04f32e

The first thing I checked, after the weather, is if Byron Burger (which makes the best banana milk shakes ever) is open. It has now closed down.

Will find out what's happening when I get there later today.
Now a word on visiting Cambridge colleges. I went there yesterday for err, research purposes but really because I missed it.

The park and rides are working so no problem actually getting into Cambridge, but once there, it is not the same.

We rang round our favourite colleges and all of them were closed, even if you are an alumnus! There is no access to the grounds either and if you walk along the backs, the great gates are closed, without exceptions. Kings College chapel is open, but that is about it (even that was closed yesterday, on bank holiday Monday).

Byron Burgers is closed and because of the eat out to help out, some popular restaurants had long queues outside. I know this scheme is finished now, but some struggling restaurants are planning to continue this, at their own expense. The back streets were very quiet. The only busy areas were near the punts around Trinity Hall (so sad to see the wall with no students sitting on it) and near Kings. There was a three piece band playing popular songs near the senate house. They were socially distance, but the crowd around them weren't!

Fitzwilliam museum is open but please book a slot first and don't turn up on spec like we did!

In fact, don't turn up at all, as there is really not much to see. I just went for the memories of happier times. :cry2:
That's a shame. Was thinking of visiting Cambridge soon, live quite close and it's always so fun to go with my family, not specifically to visit colleges (I've been there maybe 6 or 7 times and only visited 1 college in total, King's) but just because the city is so beautiful. Hopefully Cambridge and everywhere else will open up again soon!
It’s still beautiful, just shut!

Latest

Trending

Trending