The Student Room Group

Official Cambridge 2022 Applicants Thread

Volunteer Note: Please do not use this thread to ask for group chat information or for sharing Instagram handles. The Student Room is a place for young people to connect safely online, it is a public website, by posting your social media details in this thread you are allowing everyone looking at the Internet to see your handles etc. To keep you, and all our other user's safe, TSR doesn't allow sharing of WhatsApp or social media group chats. Any mentions of this will be removed. Thanks
Kings College.pngUniversity of Cambridge 2022 Applicants!

"If you meet the entry requirements, and want to study here, we want you to apply!" - Cambridge
Mod note: The forms and documents in this thread are not managed or operated by The Student Room, and are set up by members of the community. Please do take this into account when entering your details into this form. All data you share is at your own risk. If you have any questions, please come and talk to us in Ask The Community Staff.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/help/staying-safe-on-the-student-room

Offers Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1CFohygXryqusdcaXdrayd0_eY3llKdqB98eGcucBqcE/edit

Offers spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iGeOjf-aFwU1b2Un02kna0w6HU1C7iV4SUxVmWNC9I8/edit?resourcekey&usp=forms_web_b#gid=973245254
Deselected applicants thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7160119&p=96579880#post96579880

FAQs

Important stuff

Feel free to answer the questions below and introduce yourselves!

1) What A Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?
2) What course at Cambridge do you have your eyes on? And why?
3) What grades did you get at GCSE? Are you retaking any?
4) Why Cambridge specifically? and why not Oxford?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?
6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?
7) What do you want to do with your degree from Cambridge?
8) Have you decided which college you're applying to?

Useful Links/Info

Links

Timeline

Applicant Threads

For all your questions, @Peterhouse Admissions is quite active on this site, and so feel free to ask them anything regarding admissions and Cambridge in general!

Good luck everyone!!
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

As the thread starter, I'll get the ball rolling:

1) What A Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?
OCR MEI Mathematics, OCR MEI Further Mathematics, AQA Chemistry, WJEC Physics
NatSci
Oxford don't have joint honours.
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?
NSAA
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi!

1) English literature, religious studies and politics
2) Theology religion and philosophy of religion
3) don’t want to share those at the moment (but of a sore subject lol)
4) I prefer the course
5) I’ll have one at interview, I’ve been practicing watching lectures and making notes on them
6) watched online lectures
7) I have no clue yet 😂
8) probably Pembroke
I forgot to mention that I’m independently studying philosophy a level as well, because I thought it looked interesting!
Original post by rosacherry
Hi!

4) I prefer the course
5) I’ll have one at interview, I’ve been practicing watching lectures and making notes on them
7) I have no clue yet 😂
8) probably Pembroke

I forgot to mention that I’m independently studying philosophy a level as well, because I thought it looked interesting!

It's alright about your grades; Cambridge doesn't really place too much impetus on them! Hopefully your application goes well! And that independent study is really gonna help out :wink:
1) N/A (EU Student (Austria))
2) Engineering because I will have the perfect fusion of scientific (physical) and technical knowledge to put my engineering ideas into reality. Also, it is general for the first two years which might be an advantage even though I am quite sure I want to do electrical engineering.
3) N/A: 1.0 (Best Grade) Average last four years and A+ average when I used to live in the US
4) I prefer the course structure at Cambridge and it is more "known" than Oxford in Engineering (even though both are great). Also, Cambridge is the heart of Silicon Fen which brings a lot of opportunities for engineers (e.g. internships)
5) ENGAA and have already looked at/done a few questions but will start to prepare late winter/early spring.
6) I've took part in a youth innovation challenge and achieved 4th out of original 150 teams with my idea of an artificial olfaction system named Multipurpose Odor Sensing System (MOSS) which can alert about abnormalities in chemical compositions of the air and can be used to detect forest fires early with chemical pollutant levels to alerting about perishable food 1-3 days ahead with mycotoxin levels. We have made an in depth concept (tech, design, business canvas etc.) and are looking to make a prototype. I won the Downing College and Cambridge Zero Climate Change Letter Competition and have started 2 CS50 courses. Also, am looking to start an internship in September.
7) Concrete Knowledge and Research/Industrial Experience during Term Breaks
8) Narrowed it down to 6 Colleges but probably Pembroke
(edited 3 years ago)
1) English, history, French, politics, epq
2) history
3) 7 9s and 3 8s (retaking 2 8s in bio and chem)
4) I really like the course as it’s more chronologically broad than the ox course
5) possibly an internal at interview assessment
6) just some wider reading and listening to podcasts
7) probably law conversion lol (basic historian route Ig)
8) no (I like trinity, St. John’s, kings, and caius
Original post by zacn01

Wanted to start this thread for those who are thinking of applying to

the University of Cambridge in 2021 for entry in 2022!

Even though we're only about to start Year 12, it wouldn't be so much of a bad idea to have a declaration of intent, to come back to every once in a while, or to stake out your competition, anything that can motivate you to be the best applicant possible.

Cambridge isn't the be-all and end-all of things but being aspirational doesn't hurt!

I'll try to update the thread with information & advice, as I'm a stickler for info.

Shamelessly lifted (slightly) from @New Wonder and @tash299792's threads, please reply to this thread introducing yourself:
(Don't worry if you haven't done a lot, this is a year in advance don't forget!)

6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?

----
Cambridge's Statement on GCSEs:
There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved.
Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five 7/8/9s at GCSE (an A is considered equivalent to 7 and an A* is considered equivalent to 8/9). However, there are always exceptions and we don’t require a minimum number of 7/8/9s at GCSE. One of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.
Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were attained, and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE.

Good luck everyone!!

:rofl: I love how you said 'Stake out your competition' That made me laugh.
Original post by Mayataylor
1) English, history, French, politics, epq
2) history
3) 7 9s and 3 8s (retaking 2 8s in bio and chem)
4) I really like the course as it’s more chronologically broad than the ox course
5) possibly an internal at interview assessment
6) just some wider reading and listening to podcasts
7) probably law conversion lol (basic historian route Ig)
8) no (I like trinity, St. John’s, kings, and caius

you do realise that unis still see 8s and 9s as A*s? But nothing wrong with retaking I guess
Reply 9
English Literature, Spanish and History

English - I have a gut feeling that the subject is right for me

999999998 (the 8 was in art!), no retakes

The Cambridge course seemed to focus on the areas of literature that interest me the most

ELAT; reading seems to be the best preparation for this exam

Critical analysis of literature that I enjoy reading, writing academic articles for magazines

I wish to pursue a career in academia - perhaps working as a researcher/professor at the university?

I like the look of King's, but I know it's extremely competitive. Possibly Pembroke otherwise.
Hi!

4) I prefer the course
7) I have no clue yet 😂
8) probably Pembroke

Don’t worry GCSE don’t mean **** this year
Caw Pembroke is looking pretty popular!
[scroll]HeY eVeRyOnE!!!![/scroll]

Just to give everyone a head's up, in case you didn't know. But this year's Cambridge open day is going to be online, in september. You do have to book in advance though! :smile:

Web link:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events/cambridge-open-days#:~:text=On%20Thursday%2017%20and%20Friday,the%20same%20on%20both%20days.
Original post by Bookworm_88
[scroll]HeY eVeRyOnE!!!![/scroll]

Just to give everyone a head's up, in case you didn't know. But this year's Cambridge open day is going to be online, in september. You do have to book in advance though! :smile:

Web link:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events/cambridge-open-days#:~:text=On%20Thursday%2017%20and%20Friday,the%20same%20on%20both%20days.

:rofl: I love how you said 'Stake out your competition' That made me laugh.

PRSOM haha, may I add that to the main post in the thread?
Original post by royalty1702
you do realise that unis still see 8s and 9s as A*s? But nothing wrong with retaking I guess

Yeah Ik it’s mainly because I worked rlly hard and I think I deserve those grades, even if for my own personal satisfaction. And you get the highest of the grades so there’s not really a risk.
Original post by zacn01
PRSOM haha, may I add that to the main post in the thread?

Yeah, feel free. If this is going to be official, we may as well start fleshing it out, by adding information as we go about upcoming events/ opportunities etc. as realistically yr 12 will be going to open days and yr 13 will be UCAS applications, ideally.
(edited 3 years ago)
I wonder if this thread will get @Oxford Mum's approval? :biggrin:

It gets many, many gold stars from me!

@zacn01
Original post by zacn01

Wanted to start this thread for those who are thinking of applying to

the University of Cambridge in 2021 for entry in 2022!

Even though we're only about to start Year 12, it wouldn't be so much of a bad idea to have a declaration of intent, to come back to every once in a while, or to stake out your competition, anything that can motivate you to be the best applicant possible.

Cambridge isn't the be-all and end-all of things but being aspirational doesn't hurt!

I'll try to update the thread with information & advice, as I'm a stickler for info.

Shamelessly lifted (slightly) from @New Wonder and @tash299792's threads, please reply to this thread introducing yourself:
(Don't worry if you haven't done a lot, this is a year in advance don't forget!)

----
Cambridge's Statement on GCSEs:
There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved.
Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five 7/8/9s at GCSE (an A is considered equivalent to 7 and an A* is considered equivalent to 8/9). However, there are always exceptions and we don’t require a minimum number of 7/8/9s at GCSE. One of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.
Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were attained, and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE.

Good luck everyone!!

Great, very witty start, Zac!

Other useful threads:

Oxford Demystified, written by me, with some handy hints on how to make your application to Oxbridge. Also several subject chapters (including ones written by my sons) on how offer holders and students got in for their subjects:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6100480

And Cambridge Demystified, which includes chapters on Cambridge colleges and Cambridge state school schemes. Also there are subject chapters written by offer holders, explaining about why they chose their courses, resources used, and what they thought of the interviews:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6467286

Then there is the thread I started about TSR Cambridge related resources:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=90575716&highlight=Oxford%20Mum

The 2022 medicine (in general) thread is already well underway

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6545350

If you have any admissions questions, @Peterhouse Admissions are the experts.

I OFFICIALLY DECLARE THIS THREAD OPEN (cuts ribbon)

Good luck everyone!
Hi!

4) I prefer the course
7) I have no clue yet 😂
8) probably Pembroke

Don't worry about your GCSE grades. Concentrate on your A levels, and building up a solid interest in your subject.
Original post by ScienceApply_22
1) N/A (EU Student (Austria))
2) Engineering because I will have the perfect fusion of scientific (physical) and technical knowledge to put my engineering ideas into reality. Also, it is general for the first two years which might be an advantage even though I am quite sure I want to do electrical engineering.
3) N/A: 1.0 (Best Grade) Average last four years and A+ average when I used to live in the US
4) I prefer the course structure at Cambridge and it is more known than Oxford in Engineering (even though both are great). Also, Cambridge is the heart of Silicon Glen which brings a lot of opportunities for engineers (e.g. internships)
5) ENGAA and have already looked at/done a few questions but will start to prepare late winter/early spring.
6) I've took part in a youth innovation challenge and achieved 4th out of original 150 teams with my idea of an artificial olfaction system named Multipurpose Odor Sensing System (MOSS) which can alert about abnormalities in chemical compositions of the air and can be used to detect forest fires early with chemical pollutant levels to alerting about perishable food 1-3 days ahead with mycotoxin levels. We have made an in depth concept (tech, design, business canvas etc.) and are looking to make a prototype. I won the Downing College and Cambridge Zero Climate Change Letter Competition and have started 2 CS50 courses (Introduction to AI and web developmeny). Also, am looking to start an internship in September.
7) Concrete Knowledge and Research/Industrial Experience during Term Breaks
8) Narrowed it down to 6 Colleges but probably Pembroke

Wow I'm impressed already!

Latest