The Student Room Group

Official 2021 Midwifery Applicant Thread

Hi all - here is the place to discuss your 2021 Midwifery application! Get to know other applicants and let us know your progress :biggrin:

What universities are you thinking of:

A level / IB / Higher predicted grades / BTEC:

GCSE grades:

Extracurriculars:

Open days attended (including virtual ones!):

Have you done any work experience?

Scroll to see replies

Heyy,
I’m looking to apply for 2021. Haven’t been to any open days yet but will look to apply for Keele, Liverpool John Moores, Edge Hill, Chester and UCLAN once I’ve been to them.
Got C’s in all my GCSE’s, looking back wish I’d done better in the science ones but didn’t want to be a midwife at that point. So I did Btec sport and HNC in sport and achieved top grades.
This year I’ve started an access to midwifery course to give me the credits to apply for the course so hopefully I’ll do well enough on that to get in.
I already work in a care setting (school&care home) but will look to get experience closer to midwifery when COVID is over!
Reply 2
Hiya, I'm also considering Midwifery in 2021, the only uni I'm currently interested in is Queen's in Belfast as I don't want to go further a field. I have only attended a virtual open day and hope to visit the campus when the time comes! I currently have 4 A's, 5B's and a C* at GCSE and am currently predicted, AB distinction at A level. I have done work experience within a hospital and care home, I was looking for more experience but have also decided to wait until after COVID
Reply 3
Original post by Charlotte's Web
Hi all - here is the place to discuss your 2021 Midwifery application! Get to know other applicants and let us know your progress :biggrin:

Hi, I'm just filling out my UCAS form for Midwifery 2021! I'd be interested to see what Uni's other people are looking at and why! I'm currently at college near Southampton and definitely want to move out of home to go to university.
Looking at Coventry, Liverpool John Moores, Oxford Brookes, Manchester, Brighton (although Eastbourne campus is a bit far out), Bournemouth (not sure whether Poole or Bournemouth), Surrey, Bristol. Really like the idea of a city centre location.
D* D H&Social care, B A-level graphics
GCSE grades:
9 GCSE's grades 9-4
Extracurriculars:
I play a huge amount of sport (which I'm fairly good at) at college and club level - cricket, netball, basketball. Lots of awards from sport and hoping for the captaincy of basketball team next year. Did NCS last year.
COVID has stopped me from attending any in person. Have done Birmingham City and Coventry virtually.
I did two weeks in the sports department at a local school. This year's work experience in a community cafe was cancelled due to COVID. I have applied to a local hospital for work experience over the summer if allowed once COVID is over. Have read and watched loads about midwifery on the internet - blogs and vlogs from student midwives, articles and studies from journals. Contacted the Royal College of Midwives about associate membership - but its a bit expensive at the moment!

Would love to hear from any other student midwives-to-be, where they're choosing to go and why!
I’m applying for Midwifery in 2021, and am thinking Bournemouth or possibly Manchester 🤍
Reply 5
I’m applying for Midwifery 2021
I’m applying to kings, city, london south bank, west london and middlesex.
Gcse grades are 5 8’s, 2 7’s, 4 6’s, 1 5 so 12 9-5 grades

I have not yet recieved any predicted grades but am hoping for BBB, maybe an A

I do a lot of music extracurricular inside and outside of school including orchestras and jazz bands on the clarinet and saxophone.

I have not been to any real open days, only a few virtual ones including west london

i have done volunteering in my old primary school in after school clubs, in a charity shop for bronze and gold dofe.
Hi guys! I applied for University of Wolverhampton for Midwifery 2020, I got an offer but for the 2021 intake! So I’ll be joining anyone who is thinking of Wolves next year.
Hi guys! I am applying to Kings College, Cardiff, Southampton, Manchester, and either Swansea or Oxford Brookes. If you guys have heard anything about any of these please let me know.

Open days- done all the online ones but have just visited wales to see cardiff and swansea, so if you guys have any questions about the campus or city there please feel free to ask!
Predicted grades: AAB in bio, psychology, and sociology
GCSE grades: 9-7
Work experience: volunteer at the hospital once a week
Extracurricular: sports, music,
Hi @larabr2002 :smile:

Great to hear you are considering coming to Swansea to study Midwifery next year! We hope you enjoyed visiting Swansea when you came down :smile:

We are proud to be ranked 7th overall, 1st for career prospects and 1st for value added in Nursing and Midwifery by the Guardian Good University Guide 2020!

Good luck with everything, and we hope to see you next year - if there is anything you want to know, please just ask!

Emily :smile:
Reply 9
Hi everyone!Looking to go to Southampton or Bournemouth (Portsmouth campus) in 2021.Just about to start my access course via distance learning as I’ve been a stay at home mum for the past 4 years. I’ve got QCF level 3 diploma in Heath and Social Care plus 8 years in different areas of the same profession but everything changes and get updates to rapidly its best to swat up for my best chance at a place.I’ve been both campuses before but will look into virtual tours as it’s been a long while.Finished my first draft of my personal statement so it’s all starting to feel very doable. Good luck all 🤞🏻
i’ll be applying for the 2021 intake too!

i’m in scotland considering Robert Gordon, West of Scotland and Napier (plus i need to research more elsewhere!!)

5A’s at higher in human bio, chem, maths, english and french
6A’s at N5 in bio, chem, french, modern studies, maths and english

I play hockey with my school team + my local team. I also am a part of GirlGuiding UK and I lead a dance club in my school. I’m deputy head girl as well as a member of the pupil council. I also have a horse so obviously take part in horseriding too!

No open days yet (i can’t seem to find any!!)

i’ve done 3 sessions of hypnobirthing classes (i got to observe) as well as a 8 hour workshop with them too. I’ve done taster days in my local hospital, and was supposed to shadow a midwife this summer...corona stamped on that one!! I also have attended medical lectures and practiced surgery skills (not really midwifery but SUPER fun!) with the edinburgh medical school. Done multiple ethics activities with them too. I did medical virtual experience with BSMS (waiting on it being approved right now!) and am taking part in the Observe GP program too. Did a future learn course on surrogacy too as it was VERY interesting - looking at more open learn courses to do as well
Hi everyone!!

I’m thinking of applying for midwifery at Cardiff Bangor Swansea and South Wales and maybe York

My GCSEs are 887766554 with an 8 in maths and 7-6 in combined science

I’m not sure what I’m predicted for a levels but I’m hoping to get As and Bs ideally however I didn’t choose science subjects so I feel I’m at a disadvantage 😬 I will do an access to midwifery course next year if I don’t get a place this time around

I love music I have played in orchestras and jazz bands with a grade 7 distinction as well as being active I go running, swimming and cycling regularly.

Haven’t been to any open days as of yet!

I have work experience in a special needs primary school and this year I’m hoping to get a part time job in a care home (not sure if I can get a placement in a hospital since corona but I’m gonna try for one)
Heyy, I’m currently going into year 13 and also applying for midwifery 2021, feel free to message me sc: richmyzola insta: msrvchmyzola
Manchester, Middlesex, London South Bank, Coventry and De Montfort
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades / BTEC
Sociology A level grade B (Aiming for an A though)
Health and social care D*D
GCSE grades:
7 GCSEs Grades 6-5 and childcare A*
Extracurriculars:
Recently got back into reading, current book is one of us is lying sand Wattpad 😂. I don’t really have extracurricular stuff apart froM Helping out with college/school events e.g. open evenings
Virtual ones: Manchester, London south bank, de Montfort and Coventry. I missed Middlesex.
Would really like to see the campuses😍
I’ve done two weeks at a nursery school which includes children with special needs, 3 days at my old primary school, 1 week at a preschool Which helps families from a low economic background of my town
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by ms richmyzola
Heyy, I’m currently going into year 13 and also applying for midwifery 2021, feel free to message me sc: richmyzola insta: msrvchmyzola
Manchester, Middlesex, London South Bank, Coventry and De Montfort
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades / BTEC
Sociology A level grade B (Aiming for an A though)
Health and social care D*D
GCSE grades:
7 GCSEs Grades 6-5 and childcare A*
Extracurriculars:
Recently got back into reading, current book is one of us is lying sand Wattpad 😂. I don’t really have extracurricular stuff apart froM Helping out with college/school events e.g. open evenings
Virtual ones: Manchester, London south bank, de Montfort and Coventry. I missed Middlesex.
Would really like to see the campuses😍
I’ve done two weeks at a nursery school which includes children with special needs, 3 days at my old primary school, 1 week at a preschool Which helps families from a low economic background of my town

For A levels do you think it would be good to pick psychology applied science and health and social care for midwifery?
Reply 14
Original post by La_ipg
For A levels do you think it would be good to pick psychology applied science and health and social care for midwifery?

Hiya, sorry I'm just jumping in here. I'm currently in Year 14 in Northern Ireland (yr13 in England etc) and I chose Applied Science and Double Award Health and Social Care and really enjoy it. I think they'll both definitely be relevant, but before I chose I looked online at unis of interest and made sure they didn't have any specific requirements, so for example I'm thinking of Queen's University Belfast, Edgehill, De Monfort and Northumbria, which I believe one or two has Health and Social as a preferred subject. But if you enjoy the subjects and the unis you'd like to go for accept them then go for it :smile:
Hey, I'm Lynne I'm doing my access course at the minute. I'm applying as a mature student. I come from a care background but have been on a career break after finishing my family (6 kids)

My hope was to apply for Queens Belfast but having read similar threads and the huge demand and competition for places I'm thinking about widening out and adding
Northampton
and
Beds
Both will mean a 3 year relocate for us, unfortunately. But this is my dream job so sacrifices have to made.
Hiya, I'm currently in Y13 and applying for both Midwifery and Nursing. What universities are you thinking of:- Manchester - Birmingham (Nursing)- Cardiff - Oxford Brooks - Edinburgh (Nursing) A level / IB / Higher predicted grades / BTEC:I hope it's ABB for Sociology, History and Biology GCSE grades:I have 7 GCSE'S (Grade 6-8)2 BTECS (L2 D)Extracurriculars:I have done many sports and also do have a part time job. Open days attended (including virtual ones!):I've attended 3: 2 for Manchester (different days) and 1 for University of Birmingham Have you done any work experience?In y10 I volunteered at a Primary school and over y11 I did volunteering at a community centre. Hope y'all have fun with applications!
Hiya, I'm currently in Y13 and applying for both Midwifery and Nursing.

- Manchester
- Birmingham (Nursing)
- Cardiff
- Oxford Brooks
- Edinburgh (Nursing)

I hope it's ABB for Sociology, History and Biology

GCSE grades:
I have 7 GCSE'S (Grade 6-8)
2 BTECS (L2 D)

Extracurriculars:
I have done many sports and also do have a part time job. I've done many reading as one of my teachers used to work with midwives so that's helped. FutureLearn MOOCs are great for learning more!

I've attended 3: 2 for Manchester (different days) and 1 for University of Birmingham

In y10 I volunteered at a Primary school and over y11 I did volunteering at a community centre.

Hope y'all have fun with applications!
Hi! I applied for 2020 midwifery but was given 2021 intake at Sheffield Hallam University? Anyone thinking of going there?
Original post by mayacerise
Hi! I applied for 2020 midwifery but was given 2021 intake at Sheffield Hallam University? Anyone thinking of going there?

Hi @mayacerise, congratulations on your offer to study with us in 2021! Are you looking forward to it?

You can also post in our new official 2021 applicant chat thread to get the conversation started with other applicants. Some may be only just starting their journey as an applicant, so they might come to you for advice, and who knows, they may even end up being your course mates! Or you may even come across someone in the same situation as you in this thread. :h:

If you didn't attend one of our online open days, you can still access the Midwifery course talk and a virtual tour of our Health, Wellbeing and Life Science facilities on the open day subject area page. This may give you a deeper understanding of what it will be like to study the course next year.

Please let me know if you have any questions about studying at Hallam or student life in Sheffield!
- Ella

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending