The Student Room Group

PGCE school placements

For those of you completing a university PGCE this year. What do you think the likelihood of being allowed into a school to do placements physically will be?
Original post by SS123456
For those of you completing a university PGCE this year. What do you think the likelihood of being allowed into a school to do placements physically will be?

The previous cohort were allowed to gain Qualified Teacher Status without completing their placements due to lockdown but I very much doubt this will be permitted again. My school is taking student teachers although we have decided only to accept English, Mathematics and Science this year. I would imagine it will be more difficult for universities to place students but I expect they will be able to do so. It might involve some arm-twisting and calling in of favours!
Original post by Mr M
The previous cohort were allowed to gain Qualified Teacher Status without completing their placements due to lockdown but I very much doubt this will be permitted again. My school is taking student teachers although we have decided only to accept English, Mathematics and Science this year. I would imagine it will be more difficult for universities to place students but I expect they will be able to do so. It might involve some arm-twisting and calling in of favours!

So basically mostly core subjects will be able to do physical placements? Can you meet others on the same course at these placements or are they all separated?

Thankyou 🙂

Our school already has trainees (school direct) in and observing, getting ready to start teaching in a few weeks. I expect some schools will have risk assessed and decided taking trainees is no longer feasible for them, but there will still be plenty of schools willing to take trainees.

Edit: Just to add, we have trainees in all sorts of subjects, including non-core. It will just depend on the school.
So basically mostly core subjects will be able to do physical placements? Can you meet others on the same course at these placements or are they all separated?

Thankyou 🙂

I think all subjects will do physical placements. The restriction on core subjects is just something my school is doing (those Departments are large so have more capacity to support students). Some institutions try to place students in pairs so they can support each other. Teachers are not associating with each other in the usual way at the moment. We are social distancing and trying not to hold unnecessary meetings. This situation may be relaxed in the coming months. Who knows?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending