The Student Room Group

Young people hit hardest as unemployment rate rises to 4.1%

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54146833

16-24 year olds have been hit the hardest as the unemployment rate in the UK has risen from 3.9% to 4.1%, with unemployment amongst young people reaching 13.4%.

It has been predicted there is going to be a slow but steady rise in unemployment over the next few months, especially with the furlough scheme coming to an end next month.

Have you been made unemployed recently? How have you found the job market if you graduated in June/July?

What help do you need? What resources could we put together on TSR to support you if you're looking for a new job?

Let us know your thoughts on today's news below.
Original post by StrawberryDreams
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54146833

16-24 year olds have been hit the hardest as the unemployment rate in the UK has risen from 3.9% to 4.1%, with unemployment amongst young people reaching 13.4%.

It has been predicted there is going to be a slow but steady rise in unemployment over the next few months, especially with the furlough scheme coming to an end next month.

Have you been made unemployed recently? How have you found the job market if you graduated in June/July?

What help do you need? What resources could we put together on TSR to support you if you're looking for a new job?

Let us know your thoughts on today's news below.

Oh dear, I am sad to hear this news but I expected it. I knew the lockdown would have devastating effects. I feel sad for fellow young people in my generation. I am glad I am going into nursing, as hopefully there will be a lot of job security. I'm sure people here would greatly appreciate the resources for finding jobs etc.
It is a very stressful and awful situation. As a 2020 graduate, here is my experience and view on this.

My girlfriend and I graduated this year from the same university. She had done her placement year at a small, award-winning publishing house in July 2018-19, and she had received an offer of employment in Spring 2019 for her to come back as a graduate. Since then, as we were both finishing our final years of university, she did not need to worry and look for graduate jobs. This meant she could focus purely on her coursework (she went on to achieve the best result in her year and won two monetary awards!).

In the mean time as we were finishing university, I secured my PhD and we made plans to move to her city of work since she would had been the primary earner primary earner who is out the house more often than me. In February 2020, I found out that I had been awarded a scholarship, and we signed a housing contract for July 2020-21.

All of this happiness got flipped on its head after the economy shut down.

Her start date got delayed from start of July to start of September, but we had hoped that the company simply needed recovery time to adjust to the new normal. We had properly settled in and enjoyed this weird summer as much as we could; we even got a cat together. We made many plans for the next year as well like learning to drive, buying a car, and going on holiday.

Two weeks before her starting date (and right before her birthday!), she found out that the employer has been hit hard by the shutdown therefore they had to rescind their offer to her. As this occured at the end of August, she did not have time to apply for any sort of 'panic' Masters course due to universities starting up and it would feel very rushed.

So that's the crappy situation we are in right now as graduates who thought we would finally be free of being broke students.

She has effectively been reset to looking for a new job AFTER she graduated, as opposed to looking for one throughout her final year and making backup plans. She has not only applied to jobs since, but also emailed her CV to employers she likes the look of, but a lot of them are not hiring at the moment, and her work sector is fairly scarce in the city we live in compared to London. She does not have the luxury of coming back and living with her parents like many do because she still needs to pay the rent here, and the parents are both shielding. We have been put in a difficult situation, and I may even have problems affording to commute in the first month.

In hindsight, we could had made better decisions, but as young people it's not like we have sufficient experience of the job market in order to determine how much it would be affected by these events. We could not predict things clearly.

The whole job market doesn't look too promising at the moment; it was hard enough to get a secure job you want before this whole pandemic, and now it feels 1000x worse. This is happening to many others hence making the demand for jobs grow, whereas employers have had to go in the opposite direction by pulling back on jobs/salaries. To hear that it will get even worse generally is very disheartening. It is pure luck that I got a scholarship and can support us for now, even if that means we cannot afford any luxuries. We are trying to stay positive, and can only hope the situation improves for everyone.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hate to be the doom monger but it will get a lot worse at all levels from school leaver, to uni student to graduate.
More young people should take social distancing more seriously.
Reply 4
That's it, I am joining the gangs in London
I'm going to live in the new forest running around on all fours and eating raw meat want to join me bro? @Arthur morgan
I feel you bro :frown: Just graduated and looking for work. It's hard to find anything and most jobs will put my family at a severe risk (I live with a lot of people who are vulnerable to Covid) I've had employers viewing my applications and some interest which is a good sign but no solid offers (interview etc yet)

I wish you all the best, these are trying times.
yeah ive been struggling with unemployment since graduating this year as well

honestly feeling suicial at this point lmao
Original post by RDKGames
It is a very stressful and awful situation. As a 2020 graduate, here is my experience and view on this.

My girlfriend and I graduated this year from the same university. She had done her placement year at a small, award-winning publishing house in July 2018-19, and she had received an offer of employment in Spring 2019 for her to come back as a graduate. Since then, as we were both finishing our final years of university, she did not need to worry and look for graduate jobs. This meant she could focus purely on her coursework (she went on to achieve the best result in her year and won two monetary awards!).

In the mean time as we were finishing university, I secured my PhD and we made plans to move to her city of work since she would had been the primary earner primary earner who is out the house more often than me. In February 2020, I found out that I had been awarded a scholarship, and we signed a housing contract for July 2020-21.

All of this happiness got flipped on its head after the economy shut down.

Her start date got delayed from start of July to start of September, but we had hoped that the company simply needed recovery time to adjust to the new normal. We had properly settled in and enjoyed this weird summer as much as we could; we even got a cat together. We made many plans for the next year as well like learning to drive, buying a car, and going on holiday.

Two weeks before her starting date (and right before her birthday!), she found out that the employer has been hit hard by the shutdown therefore they had to rescind their offer to her. As this occured at the end of August, she did not have time to apply for any sort of 'panic' Masters course due to universities starting up and it would feel very rushed.

So that's the crappy situation we are in right now as graduates who thought we would finally be free of being broke students.

She has effectively been reset to looking for a new job AFTER she graduated, as opposed to looking for one throughout her final year and making backup plans. She has not only applied to jobs since, but also emailed her CV to employers she likes the look of, but a lot of them are not hiring at the moment, and her work sector is fairly scarce in the city we live in compared to London. She does not have the luxury of coming back and living with her parents like many do because she still needs to pay the rent here, and the parents are both shielding. We have been put in a difficult situation, and I may even have problems affording to commute in the first month.

In hindsight, we could had made better decisions, but as young people it's not like we have sufficient experience of the job market in order to determine how much it would be affected by these events. We could not predict things clearly.

The whole job market doesn't look too promising at the moment; it was hard enough to get a secure job you want before this whole pandemic, and now it feels 1000x worse. This is happening to many others hence making the demand for jobs grow, whereas employers have had to go in the opposite direction by pulling back on jobs/salaries. To hear that it will get even worse generally is very disheartening. It is pure luck that I got a scholarship and can support us for now, even if that means we cannot afford any luxuries. We are trying to stay positive, and can only hope the situation improves for everyone.

IT sector has been booming, maybe due to the pandemic . I received a couple of interview offers for jobs i didnt apply for every few weeks..
I remember looking for jobs/grad schemes at the start of the year, seeing loads, but not being able to take them as they were immediate start jobs. So frustrating as now theres barely anything for my subject. Now just applying to anything and everything but thats not exactly going well either.
Firstly let me start by saying I'm not under 24, so not really counted in the 'young people' stats anymore.

I am 30, and have been building up my own business since graduating in 2012. On the whole, as I've talked about openly and honestly on this site, I have been successful - earning more than many of my friends who went onto grad jobs, or working in positions like nursing and teaching.

Now though, the industry seems to have dried up. It's obvious really that in an economic climate where small businesses are struggling, they're not going to spend 100s of pounds having websites designed and written. So my two main clients have temporarily (in theory!) ceased trading. I have been getting tiny amounts of work through, and I mean tiny, from other places, but it's nowhere near the £5k a month I was earning before.

So I am thinking unless things change quickly, I'm going to have to seriously consider a career change. My partner and I already have a 'side-hustle' on Amazon FBA, which is going well, and it might be that we can make a full time job out of that - for me at least. Working in the funeral industry he, at least, is thriving.

So I don't know where my career is going to be, but it hurts that I've worked so hard (initially for very little) building up this business, only for it to potentially fail 8 years down the line, through absolutely no fault of mine.
Its tough. I graduated this year, was succesful in getting a place on a grad scheme. I found out that it wasnt happening anymore, gutted. I left my part time retail job earlier this year as i wanted to focus on studying and didnt like it ! I kinda regret that now as im unemployed.
Bit harder as i dont have any work experience in my field, so emailing asking for work experience to get my foot in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending