The Student Room Group

Barbados to ditch the Queen!

A speech written by Prime Minister Mia Mottley quoted the Caribbean island nation's first premier Errol Barrow's warning against "loitering on colonial premises" Yes, its about time this happened. Other countries should do the same
!https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/09/16/barbados-remove-queen-head-state-2021/amp/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I trust in their effort to 'decolonise' they'll also be making reparations to the indigenous inhabitants of the place ? (:
Original post by Napp
I trust in their effort to 'decolonise' they'll also be making reparations to the indigenous inhabitants of the place ? (:

Are there any left?
Brexiteers will be foaming about this. Thought Brexit was all about returning to Rule Britannia and building the empire back up?! Barbados knows the crack.
Good for them I guess.
[video="youtube;rY0WxgSXdEE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE[/video]
Original post by Napp

Pretty sure all the indigenous people were killed and if not then there are very few left.
Treasonous subjects belong in the Tower. I expect Mia’s head on London Bridge and limbs displayed throughout the colonies as a warning.
Reply 9
Original post by Ashante-Law
Pretty sure all the indigenous people were killed and if not then there are very few left.

The Spanish and the Portguese enslaved most of them and rest fled elsewhere. The Island was reportedly uninhabited when the British arrived some years later.
Original post by mgi
A speech written by Prime Minister Mia Mottley quoted the Caribbean island nation's first premier Errol Barrow's warning against "loitering on colonial premises" Yes, its about time this happened. Other countries should do the same
!https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/09/16/barbados-remove-queen-head-state-2021/amp/

Mia Mottley just wants to get more votes. That's all.
Reply 11
Original post by Ashante-Law

There are very few left, whats your point?
Reply 12
Original post by Gundabad(good)
Mia Mottley just wants to get more votes. That's all.

You have no evidence for this falsehood. The Queen is not relevant to Barbados.
Reply 13
Original post by Underscore__
Treasonous subjects belong in the Tower. I expect Mia’s head on London Bridge and limbs displayed throughout the colonies as a warning.

lol. You mean along with Andrew and Fergy and Charles? lol.
Reply 14
Original post by Wōden
The Spanish and the Portguese enslaved most of them and rest fled elsewhere. The Island was reportedly uninhabited when the British arrived some years later.

Barbados was a British colony for about 340 years. Enough is enough. Goodbye to the Queen!
Reply 15
Original post by mgi
Barbados was a British colony for about 340 years. Enough is enough. Goodbye to the Queen!

I don't have any objections. They're a sovereign nation, they can do as they please.
Original post by Napp
There are very few left

There are? Where are they?
Reply 17
Original post by the beer
There are? Where are they?

Scattered around the various islands and South America.
I don't like the royal family so this is great news. I was happy when I heard about this last night.
Reply 19
Original post by 1st superstar
I don't like the royal family so this is great news. I was happy when I heard about this last night.

Why to both? As in why dont you like Her Majesty and why is this great news as opposed to, well, a non-event?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending