The Student Room Group

Why does nobody ever click with me?

So I have autism and I am 21 years old. Over my entire life, I have never had a friend. Neither in elementary, nor middle school, nor high school. Now I began college and again, I talked to all my classmates (even asked them questions about themselves) and spent a lot of time with them and so on, we seemed to have lots of fun on parties and at school. But the next day, they always ended up treating me as a stranger again and I ended up making no friends there at all. Same thing with clubs and hobbies, I only ever end up with acquaintances when I go there. Usually when I talk about it with people such as my therapist etc, they end up saying stuff like "you're not going to be everybody's friend" and "they might not click with you". But following this perspective, NOBODY IN THIS UNIVERSE clicks with me. Just absolutely nobody. And it feels so bad knowing that I will never have a friend group to travel with, discuss things with, nothing.

Why is it that nobody ends up clicking with me?
Original post by Anonymous #1
So I have autism and I am 21 years old. Over my entire life, I have never had a friend. Neither in elementary, nor middle school, nor high school. Now I began college and again, I talked to all my classmates (even asked them questions about themselves) and spent a lot of time with them and so on, we seemed to have lots of fun on parties and at school. But the next day, they always ended up treating me as a stranger again and I ended up making no friends there at all. Same thing with clubs and hobbies, I only ever end up with acquaintances when I go there. Usually when I talk about it with people such as my therapist etc, they end up saying stuff like "you're not going to be everybody's friend" and "they might not click with you". But following this perspective, NOBODY IN THIS UNIVERSE clicks with me. Just absolutely nobody. And it feels so bad knowing that I will never have a friend group to travel with, discuss things with, nothing.

Honestly I feel you, I really struggle too and i’m 18. I’ve never clicked with anyone throughout school. I have one good friend, and when i (thought) that i found a good friend group at the end of 2022, they turned horrible in mid 2023. They’d ditch me on nights out while they got taxi home and all sorts. So I feel you, even though our situations aren’t entirely the same.

It’s really hard but you will find some friends at some point. If you’re at university, I would recommend joining societies, a few will help get to know a broad range of people. It’s a hard thing that you have to push for, go out your comfort zone and ask to meet up with people and text them on a semi regular basis, if they don’t reciprocate you know to leave it. I can’t suggest much else as it’s something I struggle with a lot too but just push yourself out your comfort zone rather than hiding in the shadows socially.
I know you'll end up finding someone you click with!
Don't give up - no matter how many times you haven't 'clicked' with someone, there will be someone out there who WILL! (WILL!!!!) click with you. It's just a matter of patience and acceptance.

Moreover, if anything turns towards the worst, you'll always have your family, relatives, and even the community here in The Student Room!
Don't worry, I know you're strong and patient - you'll find someone eventually.

I have Hydrocephalus and I suspect I have autism as well, and I'm in the same position as you. You say absolutely nobody is clicking with you and I'm already clicking with what you're saying. The issue seems to be that you haven't found compatible caring minds who'll give you their attention and support. Finding people who really care is very tough, and I think there are many people who are cruel and who only go after what they personally desire. Try to focus on yourself and improving who you are first, I'm sure friends will come if you keep persisting.
Original post by Anonymous #2
Honestly I feel you, I really struggle too and i’m 18. I’ve never clicked with anyone throughout school. I have one good friend, and when i (thought) that i found a good friend group at the end of 2022, they turned horrible in mid 2023. They’d ditch me on nights out while they got taxi home and all sorts. So I feel you, even though our situations aren’t entirely the same.

It’s really hard but you will find some friends at some point. If you’re at university, I would recommend joining societies, a few will help get to know a broad range of people. It’s a hard thing that you have to push for, go out your comfort zone and ask to meet up with people and text them on a semi regular basis, if they don’t reciprocate you know to leave it. I can’t suggest much else as it’s something I struggle with a lot too but just push yourself out your comfort zone rather than hiding in the shadows socially.
I was in literally the same situation last year too, I hope things got better for you <3
Original post by Anonymous #2

That sucks you've been ditched, but it's important to realize that the people who ditch aren't worth your time anyway. Life is about finding compatible minds and connecting with them. Nobody should waste their time with people who don't support them.

I’m your friend don’t worry❤️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending