The Student Room Group

Is it normal to find the beginning of A level maths hard?

So I am a first year in sixth form. And honestly I can really see the big step up from GCSE. Like the subjects are always on my mind. All the time.

The main one I am worried about is maths. Like I got a grade 7 at gcse however the topics we are doing rn are grade 8/9. Some of it is easy however is it normal to find some grade 8/9 topics hard?.

Don’t get me wrong. I have mastered the topics so far. But today we did graph translations. And I found it a tiny bit hard. I did then go home and study it. I have improved quite a bit since earlier today. But I still feel like I need some work.

Sorry I’m just rlly Panicking. Also I am revising 4 hours a day.

Is it okay to find even the early weeks challenging? And is it normal?
Original post by Smoky saif
So I am a first year in sixth form. And honestly I can really see the big step up from GCSE. Like the subjects are always on my mind. All the time.

The main one I am worried about is maths. Like I got a grade 7 at gcse however the topics we are doing rn are grade 8/9. Some of it is easy however is it normal to find some grade 8/9 topics hard?.

Don’t get me wrong. I have mastered the topics so far. But today we did graph translations. And I found it a tiny bit hard. I did then go home and study it. I have improved quite a bit since earlier today. But I still feel like I need some work.

really? so far my school is basically going over gcse stuff. maybe they are teaching in a different order. hope it isnt too hard:redface:
Original post by Smoky saif

I found it challenging. I sat the 2*nd* batch of the new A level maths exams and got an A*. I took further too but honestly I at first got like an E because I wasn't really trying. I sat in class and did no work. When I tried it all came together. Don't worry too much about it. Stick to working hard and you'll see results. Best time your grade shoots up is after much revision and even more practice papers. Thats for A2 tho mainly (sitting practice tests).
Reply 3
Original post by perplexed turtle
really? so far my school is basically going over gcse stuff. maybe they are teaching in a different order. hope it isnt too hard:redface:

Lol we doing gcse stuff too. But like the questions we getting are like grade 8/9 ranked questions.
Reply 4
Original post by Muhammad Razak
I found it challenging. I sat the 2*nd* batch of the new A level maths exams and got an A*. I took further too but honestly I at first got like an E because I wasn't really trying. I sat in class and did no work. When I tried it all came together. Don't worry too much about it. Stick to working hard and you'll see results. Best time your grade shoots up is after much revision and even more practice papers. Thats for A2 tho mainly (sitting practice tests).

Oh okay. Because I’m finding a few things hear and there slightly challenging. But like u said I’m sure it’s just that I need to give it more time.
Try not to panic! I remember finding the first week of A-Levels quite overwhelming too but honestly you will get used to it. Also, the fact that you have been out of school for so long due to COVID is another factor to consider - you just need some time to process everything! Make sure you give yourself breaks when needed

If you are finding things hard then try to go to your teacher and just go over things an extra time. Or ask someone in your class to help! It is important to try nail things first time round so you don't get bogged down by them later on e.g. when mocks come up:smile:

Good luck! You can do it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ellasimmons24
Try not to panic! I remember finding the first week of A-Levels quite overwhelming too but honestly you will get used to it. Also, the fact that you have been out of school for so long due to COVID is another factor to consider - you just need some time to process everything! Make sure you give yourself breaks when needed

If you are finding things hard then try to go to your teacher and just go over things an extra time. Or ask someone in your class to help! It is important to try nail things first time round so you don't get bogged down by them later on e.g. when mocks come up:smile:

Good luck! You can do it :smile:

Thanks appreciate ittt

Quick Reply

Latest