The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Physics Paper 2 (Advanced Physics II) - 15 October 2020

Edexcel Physics Paper 2 (Advanced Physics II)

Date: 15 October 2020
Session: AM
Length: 1h45
Marks: 90 (30% of the total A-level)

Paper 2 covers:

Topic 1 - Working as a Physicist

Topic 4 - Materials

Topic 5 - Waves and Particle Nature of Light

Topic 9 - Thermodynamics

Topic 10 - Space

Topic 11 - Nuclear Radiation

Topic 12 - Gravitational Fields

Topic 13 - Oscillations

A formula booklet is at the end of the paper, and can be found here.

At least 40% of the marks over the three papers is awarded for maths at level 2 or above.

Content Mapping

If you're planning to use old spec papers a mapping is below:

Unit 1 - Materials

Unit 2 - Waves and the Particle Nature of Light

Unit 5 - Thermodynamics, Space, Nuclear Radiation, Gravitational Fields, Oscillations

These units contain the following that isn't in the new specification:

Materials - Fluid flow diagrams

Materials - Definitions of mechanical properties such as ductile, brittle, hard, malleable, tough.

Waves and Particle Nature of Light - Identifying, and describing applications of, regions of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Waves and Particle Nature of Light - How different media affects the transmission/reflection of waves.

The following do not appear in the old specification:

Waves and Particle Nature of Light - Use of the equation v=Tμ\displaystyle v = \sqrt{\frac T \mu}

Waves and Particle Nature of Light - Optics: focal length, ray diagrams, power of lens, real and virtual lenses, lens formulae, magnification.

Waves and Particle Nature of Light - Use of Huygens construction. Use of the equation nλ=dsinθn \lambda = d \sin \theta

Thermodynamics - Specific latent heat.

Thermodynamics - Derivation and use of pV=13Nmc2pV = \frac 1 3 N m \langle {c^2} \rangle. Use of kinetic theory model.

Thermodynamics - Derivation of 12mc2=32kT\frac 1 2 m \langle {c^2} \rangle = \frac 3 2 kT

Nuclear Radiation - Use of binding energy per nucleon curve to explain why fission/fusion release energy.

Gravitational Fields - Use of gravitational potential equation V=GMrV = \frac {-GM} r

Other Edexcel Physics Exams:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone here pumped for tmr exams im not XD how was your paper 1 compared to paper 2
Reply 2
I did extremely well in the 2019 p2 which i did in timed conditions and all, but I feel like i got lucky so idk how I'm going to do.
dw homie u didnt get lucky ur gonna do great <3
Reply 4
How was the paper? I thought it went really well personally. Although I ran out of time and couldn't finish the doppler shift q. So I missed out on 2 easy marks :frown:
Original post by spchee
How was the paper? I thought it went really well personally. Although I ran out of time and couldn't finish the doppler shift q. So I missed out on 2 easy marks :frown:

the paper was so easy.
let us share the answers mate.
Reply 6
I think the only q I was a little uncertain on was the diffraction grating one, of what angle will give the most intense light or something like that.
21.5 degrees is the answer.
they asked this same question last year as well in paper 2
Reply 8
Wait you set n=1 in order to get that answer right? If so I think I got that right.
Reply 9
Ngl that paper was peak for me
yes maximum is d/lambda
Especially the first half, but everyone agreed who I sat the exam with, so I rate we were just weak as a group at those topics in particular
Reply 12
Original post by DanylM-D
Ngl that paper was peak for me

Oof, what did you struggle on particularly?

Also was it just me, or did I find that the paper felt a lot longer than normal?
Original post by spchee

Also was it just me, or did I find that the paper felt a lot longer than normal?

it was longer due to too many maths question.
you wouldn't normally see this many maths question in physics papers.
Reply 14
Especially the first half, but everyone agreed who I sat the exam with, so I rate we were just weak as a group at those topics in particular

Yeah the person I talked to said he also found the exam a lot easier than p1, so it might just be your group unfortunately :frown:. Though fingers crossed it isn't!
Original post by spchee

The Guitar question and the oscillation experiment question as well as the black body radiation stuff, ngl I think i'm just stinky of that stuff, lack of revision
Reply 16
The Guitar question and the oscillation experiment question as well as the black body radiation stuff, ngl I think i'm just stinky of that stuff, lack of revision

The black body graph question, you needed to use λ_max * T = 2.898 × 10^−3 to find the maximum radiation emitted, then draw a graph of the general shape of a black body radiation vs wavelength.

The guitar q I cant remember too well, but I think it was mostly just some basic standing wave stuff. Oh and one of the questions required you to use v = sqrt(T/μ) which I haven't seen come up too often.
Reply 17
What mark do you reckon you guys got? I think I probably got somewhere in the range 60-70. If I'm lucky maybe even higher.
Original post by spchee
What mark do you reckon you guys got? I think I probably got somewhere in the range 60-70. If I'm lucky maybe even higher.

might sound over the top but 80+.
because I love maths and even the written questions were so easy.
Original post by anonymousxxxxyy
might sound over the top but 80+.
because I love maths and even the written questions were so easy.

didnt have time to finish it atm my max lost mark is 25 so 65 upwards and this includes the one i didnt finish and the 10 marks objective questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending