The Student Room Group

Dating after uni

How do you navigate this? Didn't date or get intimate at all during my three years at uni despite also trying to use Tinder every now and again. Covid has obviously made things difficult so I'm not really sure where the opportunities lie, especially given that I don't really have any friends either.
Reply 1
Through work? Volunteering? Sports? Hobbies?
Best to focus on your health, hobbies, non-dating related ambitions and maintaining a positive mentality during the pandemic.
Then improving your financial situation, enhancing your skillset, refining your career ambitions and networking to achieve them.
Pandemic restrictions have been very disruptive in terms of academia, almost all businesses, employment, clubbing, travel and socializing to expand social circles or meet potential partners.
Reply 3
Work throws up more opportunities than you might imagine. Then there are friends of friends from your uni days if you still keep in touch. And you can look in to hobbies where you might find a like minded partner. Working is also a less claustrophobic dating environment in my experience than uni.
Original post by Anonymous
How do you navigate this? Didn't date or get intimate at all during my three years at uni despite also trying to use Tinder every now and again. Covid has obviously made things difficult so I'm not really sure where the opportunities lie, especially given that I don't really have any friends either.

You'll probably have to wait till this Covid **** is over before you can make moves. Make sure though that you dress at least somewhat stylishly and do the same with your hair, and walk with a confident gait. If you do those things, then your chances of meeting girls who find you attractive when you're out and about should be quite decent

Original post by londonmyst
Best to focus on your health, hobbies, non-dating related ambitions and maintaining a positive mentality during the pandemic.
Then improving your financial situation, enhancing your skillset, refining your career ambitions and networking to achieve them.
Pandemic restrictions have been very disruptive in terms of academia, almost all businesses, employment, clubbing, travel and socializing to expand social circles or meet potential partners.

PRSOM
Reply 5
Original post by londonmyst

Yeah I'm working on my health atm and trying to find new things to do but have mostly stayed indoors since March, so naturally my mental health has really suffered.

You're definitely right in your last sentence about disruption as it seems most people want to stick with the family and friends they have at the moment rather than wanting to expand their groups. There's a lot of almost paranoia and anxiety about new people which I guess stems from the pandemic's conditions, so might be a waiting game..
Reply 6
Original post by Zarek
Work throws up more opportunities than you might imagine. Then there are friends of friends from your uni days if you still keep in touch. And you can look in to hobbies where you might find a like minded partner. Working is also a less claustrophobic dating environment in my experience than uni.

Hope that's the case as I really didn't enjoy school, sixth form and a lot of uni. I do have friends from uni still, but there's no communication to the point even close friends have become mere acquaintances who don't ask about me or want to chat, play video games together, etc so slim chance of meeting their friends.

Tried citysocializer, but again hasn't been much on with the pandemic and might pursue furthering my studies to give myself a good chance of meeting someone.
Reply 7
Original post by Surnia
Through work? Volunteering? Sports? Hobbies?

Still looking for work. Am aching to volunteer politically, but a lot of canvassing opportunities were cancelled just before the first lockdown and haven't reappeared since so there's that. Not too sporty and guess I will just have to keep looking at new hobbies, but open to some suggestions
Reply 8
Original post by IVLIVSCAESAR
You'll probably have to wait till this Covid **** is over before you can make moves. Make sure though that you dress at least somewhat stylishly and do the same with your hair, and walk with a confident gait. If you do those things, then your chances of meeting girls who find you attractive when you're out and about should be quite decent

PRSOM

Yeah I've let myself go during covid a little bit so yeah need to get back up there. Don't think my style is too bad when I go out so might be a case of just meeting more people but atm and especially in London it's really tricky..
It’s definitely harder due to COVID, even with tinder it’s very hard to actually meet with anyone you match with. Focus on your health and hobbies for the time being, and working on yourself. I found at uni girls were not really keen on anything - some even friendship.
Original post by EwanAdams
It’s definitely harder due to COVID, even with tinder it’s very hard to actually meet with anyone you match with. Focus on your health and hobbies for the time being, and working on yourself. I found at uni girls were not really keen on anything - some even friendship.

Yeah I'm trying to work on myself but at the same time sometimes do feel down about my virginity and lack of success dating at uni given how most other people I know found someone. I know what you mean though about friendship; tried talking with girls in my class in group discussions, etc but they seemed really uninterested to work together and the few female friends I had in first year basically used me as an emotional sponge after their s****y times.

People have said in the past to me how well they did using tinder, but as an S Asian the 5 or 6 times I tried putting effort I maybe got 5/6 matches who were either bots or didn't reply at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending