The Student Room Group
Original post by 892
Hi, I just received an offer from Warwick for Mathematics (2021 entry), and they ask for A*A*A*/A*A*AA or A*A*A with a suitable performance in STEP/TMUA. However I am taking MAT next week and was hoping that they'd take this into account before giving me the offer. Does anyone know if Warwick sometimes change their offer conditions after they've received our MAT scores?

Thanks

From the MAT web page, https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/maths-admissions-test :

''Applicants to Imperial and/or Warwick

When you register for the MAT, your test centre should tick the box on the registration form to indicate that you are applying to Imperial College London and/or the University of Warwick. Your MAT score is then shared automatically and securely with Imperial and/or Warwick as appropriate; you do not need to do anything else.

If your test centre did not tick the box, or you made changes to your applications after 15 October, then you can contact Imperial and/or Warwick to give them permission to see your MAT score and take this into consideration. You will need to provide that university with your MAT registration number. This is the letter M followed by a 5-digit number (e.g. M01729), which you were given when your test centre registered you for the MAT, and which you wrote on the front of your MAT test paper. If you experience difficulty locating your MAT registration number, please contact your test centre for assistance.''
Reply 2
Original post by zetamcfc
From the MAT web page, https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/maths-admissions-test :

''Applicants to Imperial and/or Warwick

When you register for the MAT, your test centre should tick the box on the registration form to indicate that you are applying to Imperial College London and/or the University of Warwick. Your MAT score is then shared automatically and securely with Imperial and/or Warwick as appropriate; you do not need to do anything else.

If your test centre did not tick the box, or you made changes to your applications after 15 October, then you can contact Imperial and/or Warwick to give them permission to see your MAT score and take this into consideration. You will need to provide that university with your MAT registration number. This is the letter M followed by a 5-digit number (e.g. M01729), which you were given when your test centre registered you for the MAT, and which you wrote on the front of your MAT test paper. If you experience difficulty locating your MAT registration number, please contact your test centre for assistance.''

I did tick the Warwick box when I registered for the MAT, I'm just worried that they haven't acknowledged that I'm going to take it (since they mentioned both STEP and TMUA in the offer but not MAT) so won't lower their offer to A*A*A (without STEP).
i got an offer as well, they emailed saying that they don’t specifically write the MAT on their conditional offers because the required score changes each year. so they definitely consider the mat
Reply 4
Original post by bobbobua112
i got an offer as well, they emailed saying that they don’t specifically write the MAT on their conditional offers because the required score changes each year. so they definitely consider the mat

I actually just got that exact email, thanks anyway.
Reply 5
I've gotten a reduced offer (A*A*A) but they haven't explicitly stated a STEP/MAT requirement.

> Your offer is conditional on you meeting the following terms, by no later than 31 August 2021:
> Obtain grade A* in A Level Mathematics, grade A* in A Level Further Mathematics and grade A in a third subject at A Level. This offer excludes General Studies, Critical Thinking and Additional Further Mathematics

Anyone know why this might be the case? I am still planning to sit the STEP (for Cambridge) however.
Original post by Elosant
I've gotten a reduced offer (A*A*A) but they haven't explicitly stated a STEP/MAT requirement.

> Your offer is conditional on you meeting the following terms, by no later than 31 August 2021:
> Obtain grade A* in A Level Mathematics, grade A* in A Level Further Mathematics and grade A in a third subject at A Level. This offer excludes General Studies, Critical Thinking and Additional Further Mathematics

Anyone know why this might be the case? I am still planning to sit the STEP (for Cambridge) however.

Their contextual offer also removes the STEP requirement, so you may have been eligible.
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One
Their contextual offer also removes the STEP requirement, so you may have been eligible.

Plugging my secondary school and sixth form into the website below shows that I'm not eligible for a contextual offer?
https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/contextual-offers/eligibilitycheck
I haven't recieved an email that the reduction was due to a contextual offer either, which afaik is what they usually do?
Original post by Elosant
Plugging my secondary school and sixth form into the website below shows that I'm not eligible for a contextual offer?
https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/contextual-offers/eligibilitycheck
I haven't recieved an email that the reduction was due to a contextual offer either, which afaik is what they usually do?

They send a second email later confirming whether it’s contextual or not, it doesn’t signify in the offer itself.

If you don’t hear anything, you can always contact them to clarify.
Original post by Elosant

I got the same offer. Did other people’s specifically say STEP for their requirement or 3A*s or A*A*AA directly?
Reply 10
Original post by aaaaaaa18
I got the same offer. Did other people’s specifically say STEP for their requirement or 3A*s or A*A*AA directly?

Mine said A*A*A* or A*A*AA or A*A*A + STEP/TMUA grade
Reply 11
I got mathematics offer just 12 hrs ago. Only grade 2 of any STEP is expected of me for my conditional offer. Is that the same for everyone I wonder? Also, I believe my offer takes in the consideration of my MAT grade but I don’t think I did fair on that one so no idea how this year’s offers are decided...
Reply 12
I applied g103 and got an offer for 3A*+A or 2A*+A+2in Step. Probably I did bad in MAT?
Reply 13
Original post by Y. Park
I got mathematics offer just 12 hrs ago. Only grade 2 of any STEP is expected of me for my conditional offer. Is that the same for everyone I wonder? Also, I believe my offer takes in the consideration of my MAT grade but I don’t think I did fair on that one so no idea how this year’s offers are decided...

I get same offer I guess?
Warwick has not received the MAT result. I do not think Oxford has finished marking the paper yet. Last year, Warwick started to change the condition for people's offer in January I think. So if you take MAT and get a standard offer, do not worry about it. It is not you did not do well in MAT, Warwick just give the offer out very early and choose to change the requirement after they received the MAT result
Reply 15
Original post by Bap123
Hello I am planning to take MAT and would like to know if there is enough space for each questions in the actual paper. The file I’ve practiced, downloaded, from the website contains only 1 full page of space after each question in section 2. Somehow I always used more than the given space, so I’d like to know if the actual exam has only that amount of space or there are more spaces provided. Thanks

As of last year there is more paper between each question (I think 3 full sides) so you should be fine.

Latest