The Student Room Group

Should I change one of my University choices

Hello,
I have applied to study economics at university but am worried about whether my options aren't very diverse in terms of entry requirements. I have applied for Oxford, Nottingham, Warwick, UCl and Sussex. I am, quite ridiculously, predicted 4 A*s but I feel that it is unlikely that I will achieve this.
I am considering changing one of my options to a less competitive university so that I have more security. I am on the edge about changing UCL.
Should I change one of my choices? If so, can I have a suggestion?
Thank you for your time.
what subjects do you take? x you have amazing predictions, so i don't see why not tbh. you already have Sussex as an insurance anyway
but tbh I feel kinda the same as you, in that I've applied to 4 really competitive ones and now feel quite silly about having done so. i wish I'd swapped out one of them for Bristol/Exeter/Durham (which are still immensely competitive, but not as i guess)
Reply 2
Original post by confuzzledteen
what subjects do you take? x you have amazing predictions, so i don't see why not tbh. you already have Sussex as an insurance anyway
but tbh I feel kinda the same as you, in that I've applied to 4 really competitive ones and now feel quite silly about having done so. i wish I'd swapped out one of them for Bristol/Exeter/Durham (which are still immensely competitive, but not as i guess)

I take Maths, Chemistry, Economics and History. I would have like to have done further maths but it wasn't offered at my school. I feel just like you said and that I should maybe change UCL to Exeter or Durham. I still feel that Durham is pretty competitive though but less so than Warwick, for example. I was strongly considering Exeter but I keep alternating between how I feel about the University, which probably isn't a good sign.
Is it wise to change maybe UCL to exeter as UCL is very competitive for economics? Or should I just stop stressing at this point?
I also would like to know if Warwick and Nottingham are both equally competitive because if not then nottingham is still a relatively safe bet.
Nottingham (for Econ) is less competitive than Warwick for sure, imo.
And I don't know tbh,, UCL is v competitive for Econ and most successful applicants took FM I believe. But then again, if your school didn't offer it, it isn't your fault at all, so I don't think you'd be disadvantaged. I think it'd be wise to change UCL to Exeter/Durham (whichever you feel more comfortable with), but sometimes its heart against brain right? If you REALLY want to go to UCL, then you should just apply there & stop stressing bc you might regret not having given it a shot. But if you're unbothered about the university and just want to maximize your chances of getting an offer, then yeah it's probs sensible to switch.
Did you apply for E&M at Oxford btw? x
If you applied for Oxford, you are beyond the 14 day 'change your mind' period.
You cannot therefore change any of your chosen Unis.

You can however ask to be considered for a different course at any of those Unis, just email the Uni and ask.
Reply 5
Original post by confuzzledteen
Nottingham (for Econ) is less competitive than Warwick for sure, imo.
And I don't know tbh,, UCL is v competitive for Econ and most successful applicants took FM I believe. But then again, if your school didn't offer it, it isn't your fault at all, so I don't think you'd be disadvantaged. I think it'd be wise to change UCL to Exeter/Durham (whichever you feel more comfortable with), but sometimes its heart against brain right? If you REALLY want to go to UCL, then you should just apply there & stop stressing bc you might regret not having given it a shot. But if you're unbothered about the university and just want to maximize your chances of getting an offer, then yeah it's probs sensible to switch.
Did you apply for E&M at Oxford btw? x

I applied for E&M at Oxford.
At this point, I really don't think I am that passionate about going to UCL as I already live in London and feel like my chances of getting in are ridiculously low. I think I am going to change it to Exeter as it is less competitive.
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
If you applied for Oxford, you are beyond the 14 day 'change your mind' period.
You cannot therefore change any of your chosen Unis.

You can however ask to be considered for a different course at any of those Unis, just email the Uni and ask.

Am I not still within a 14 day period if I applied on the 15th October. Does the countdown start from when you receive the confirmation email?
If I am not within the period, then it isn't the end of the world for me.
Original post by Pegasus25
Am I not still within a 14 day period if I applied on the 15th October. Does the countdown start from when you receive the confirmation email?
If I am not within the period, then it isn't the end of the world for me.

It’s 14 days from your welcome email.
You could also consider Lancaster if it’s not too late as a safe option- maybe even as an alternative to Sussex

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending