The Student Room Group

Latest point to drop a level further maths??

I'm in year 12 and I've been struggling to keep up with further maths. We're covering single maths content atm but the speed of the course is hard for me to keep up with. I want to try and do my best in fm and hold out for as long as possible but if time spent on further maths is affecting my other subjects (economics and history) I'll probably drop it. I know that I can't drop it after my personal statement has been sent off.
Up to what point can I drop further maths?
Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by L.Stewart
I'm in year 12 and I've been struggling to keep up with further maths. We're covering single maths content atm but the speed of the course is hard for me to keep up with. I want to try and do my best in fm and hold out for as long as possible but if time spent on further maths is affecting my other subjects (economics and history) I'll probably drop it. I know that I can't drop it after my personal statement has been sent off.
Up to what point can I drop further maths?
Thanks in advance :smile:

Hi, at my school, with can choose to drop right up until spring off year 13 when they fill in exams admin stuff. However your school maybe different? Probably best to ask your maths teachers!
Reply 2
hello! thanks for the help. whew! that means i have a long time to decide whether i want to continue with it or not. do you have any advice on how to keep up with the fm content? we just had progress tests in early october and i didnt do too well in maths...
Reply 3
Original post by L.Stewart
hello! thanks for the help. whew! that means i have a long time to decide whether i want to continue with it or not. do you have any advice on how to keep up with the fm content? we just had progress tests in early October and i didn't do too well in maths...

Hi again, at my school, (yours sounds kinda similar) we went through almost only a level content in the first year (bar doing complex numbers (only the basics), roots of polynomials and method of differences of summations), and if I were to drop now I would end up doing revision effectively for a year. So, if I was you, I would only drop if you felt it was impacting your other subjects. With regards to how to keep up with the FM content, unfortunately there is no secret I would guess, it is a lot of content, which requires a large portion of time practising. I would say the best way is by doing past paper and textbook review questions. If you aren't getting the marks, look back at your notes/ the textbook and see what you are doing wrong, and change it! Hopefully that is kinda helpful.

That being said, I am NO expert and I am sure there is way better advice on existing threads. I think it's normal to find the jump in workload a challenge, I certainly do sometimes!
Reply 4
In theory you can drop it up to the end of June of Year 13, but the longer you leave it in Year 13 the messier it gets - having to tell universities you're no longer doing it, wasting the money on the exam entry, having to get the school to withdraw you from the exams etc. (Also AQA are awkward about withdrawing students after they've taken the exams).

Quick Reply

Latest