The Student Room Group

A level literature without GCSE

Hi, I'm privately studying A levels and wanted to take English Literature as I want to study Law. Would it be too difficult to study English Lit A level without having done it at GCSE?
Reply 1
If you are self teaching I imagine it would be quite hard. There is no requirement to study English Literature A level for Law - what other A levels are you doing?
Reply 2
I would agree with @Compost - English Lit is not a requirement to study law at uni and since you're self teaching, an a-level in English Lit would be quite difficult especially if you havent studied it at GCSE. I would recommend the following: Law, English Language, Politics, History and even Languages or if you want to keep your options open, try a different subject eg. maths, science etc

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Compost
If you are self teaching I imagine it would be quite hard. There is no requirement to study English Literature A level for Law - what other A levels are you doing?

Plus isn't there coursework too for English literature? (At A-level).
Reply 4
Original post by 1st superstar
Plus isn't there coursework too for English literature? (At A-level).

Yes - worth 20%, (as there is for English Language and History) so they're all subjects which are difficult for private candidates to complete. Politics would be a more straight forward option.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Compost
Yes - worth 20%, (as there is for English Language and History) so they're all subject which are difficult for private candidates to complete. Politics would be a more straight forward option.

Agreed
Reply 6
Thanks for all the replies I really appreciate it. The reason I wanted to English literature is that it builds essay skills and helps form arguments, both skills valuable for law. If not this, what other subjects could I try to get better at essay writing and reading between the lines.
Reply 7
Politics, Psychology, Sociology, Economics and Law are all 100% assessed by exam and so are simpler choices for private candidates.
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
Politics, Psychology, Sociology, Economics and Law are all 100% assessed by exam and so are simpler choices for private candidates.

Im doing economics, but am not sure if it would help me build those soft skills enough for law, should I consider politics or psychology?
Reply 9
I wouldn't worry too much. One of my sons got a first in Law having studied Maths, Further Maths, Physics and French

Quick Reply

Latest