The Student Room Group

Kclms 2021

hi everyone,
i am currently in year 10 and applications to sixth forms are sept 2020. i would LOVE to get into kings maths school. it's been my dream for so long. i've heard that the exam is extremely hard and unexpected. i'm usually good at "surprise questions" but i'm still really worried about doing badly.
if anyone's in KCLMS or has any tips to revise for it, I'd love some advice :smile:
Edit: i've done the specimen questions and found them okay.......not sure if that's a good or bad thing.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Think you're quite early and prepared!

The specimen questions are the most similar thing to the paper - so if you can understand how to solve them correctly, that's great (and if you don't, then go over the mark scheme as thoroughly as possible).

The only other thing I can recommend is doing intermediate Maths Challenge Questions (and Senior as well I guess - but you might need to do a bit more GCSE content for that). The questions aren't similar - but they're the closest thing to the paper that most people experience, and practice will really help develop problem solving skills.

Hope this was a bit helpful but I'm going to tag @Toastiekid who might be able to offer a bit more advice

Best of luck!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Nancy_s
hi everyone,
i am currently in year 10 and applications to sixth forms are sept 2020. i would LOVE to get into kings maths school. it's been my dream for so long. i've heard that the exam is extremely hard and unexpected. i'm usually good at "surprise questions" but i'm still really worried about doing badly.
if anyone's in KCLMS or has any tips to revise for it, I'd love some advice :smile:
Edit: i've done the specimen questions and found them okay.......not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

I am in the year above you and have secured a place and from my experience you should have no trouble passing the exam if you found the mock alright. I had not prepared as prudently as you and was surprised by the difficulty of some of the questions. I remember being certain on the first 10/18 questions, and I attempted all the others but I may have only solved one or two correctly after that. From that I assumed I was out but I wasn't, so despite their difficulty they don't expect you to get everything right. It seems like above half marks or a bit beyond that would secure you a place.
Original post by keep_drowning
Think you're quite early and prepared!

The specimen questions are the most similar thing to the paper - so if you can understand how to solve them correctly, that's great (and if you don't, then go over the mark scheme as thoroughly as possible).

The only other thing I can recommend is doing intermediate Maths Challenge Questions (and Senior as well I guess - but you might need to do a bit more GCSE content for that). The questions aren't similar - but they're the closest thing to the paper that most people experience, and practice will really help develop problem solving skills.

Hope this was a bit helpful but I'm going to tag @Toastiekid who might be able to offer a bit more advice

Best of luck!

Hi! There’s only 1 month left until the maths exam any tips to revise I did find the specimen questions slightly challenging but I did go through the mark scheme and understand it thoroughly. Any advice on what to do for the last month?
Original post by Hamza3149
Hi! There’s only 1 month left until the maths exam any tips to revise I did find the specimen questions slightly challenging but I did go through the mark scheme and understand it thoroughly. Any advice on what to do for the last month?

The only other thing I can suggest is doing intermediate Maths challenge questions - If the questions in the entrance exam are the same style as the questions in the paper I took, the IMC is probably the next closest thing (but not very similar...) - If you can find any other problem solving resources based on KS3 content, give them a shot

Best of luck,
Reply 5

do u think the exam is still going to take place?
Original post by Nancy_s
do u think the exam is still going to take place?

yes on the website it does state that the exams will go through but in a large hall with COVID 19 restrictions like 2 metres and it says friday 4th December 2020
yes on the website it does state that the exams will go through but in a large hall with COVID 19 restrictions like 2 metres and it says friday 4th December 2020

Hey I'm applying this year too! Did you by any chance go to the open evening or taster day? I'm only just starting to prepare so do you have any advice on what papers you did and stuff like that?
Reply 8
Original post by qualitytrash
Hey I'm applying this year too! Did you by any chance go to the open evening or taster day? I'm only just starting to prepare so do you have any advice on what papers you did and stuff like that?

same lol I applied to the open evening and taster day im feeling a bit unprepared because I am usually not someone who applies to things last minute
I have tried a handful of questions on the specimen paper and I got most of them right, I just feel like everyone applying is einstein smart and that even in the miraculous case that I do get in I will probably struggle because I do not see myself as einstein smart
Original post by aikaK
I just feel like everyone applying is einstein smart and that even in the miraculous case that I do get in I will probably struggle because I do not see myself as einstein smart

ahh we're in the same boat then! I've basically spent the whole of this afternoon calculating my chances of getting in rather than revising for my mocks oops...
Reply 10
Original post by qualitytrash
ahh we're in the same boat then! I've basically spent the whole of this afternoon calculating my chances of getting in rather than revising for my mocks oops...

haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way:colonhash:
but I guess I'll just give it a shot, best of luck to you, hopefully we will both be ok : )
Original post by aikaK
haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way:colonhash:
but I guess I'll just give it a shot, best of luck to you, hopefully we will both be ok : )

hopefully yes! goodluck !!
Original post by aikaK
same lol I applied to the open evening and taster day im feeling a bit unprepared because I am usually not someone who applies to things last minute
I have tried a handful of questions on the specimen paper and I got most of them right, I just feel like everyone applying is einstein smart and that even in the miraculous case that I do get in I will probably struggle because I do not see myself as einstein smart

(Doing a bit of hijacking here, sorry...)

Some people are "einstein smart" as you put it, but a lot aren't and may be very able, but succeed because they are passionate and work hard and have great teachers.

A Levels are never going to be easy, but the environment at King's is incredibly supportive and everyone wants you to succeed and will help you. The curriculum is the same as everywhere else - it's just enhanced, so you're not more likely to struggle at King's than anywhere else.

Have some faith in yourself and best of luck!
Reply 13
Original post by keep_drowning
(Doing a bit of hijacking here, sorry...)

Some people are "einstein smart" as you put it, but a lot aren't and may be very able, but succeed because they are passionate and work hard and have great teachers.

A Levels are never going to be easy, but the environment at King's is incredibly supportive and everyone wants you to succeed and will help you. The curriculum is the same as everywhere else - it's just enhanced, so you're not more likely to struggle at King's than anywhere else.

Have some faith in yourself and best of luck!

thank you !! this reassures me a lot because I don’t know anyone who goes to KCLMS so I am unaware of what the environment is like : (
guys I’m kinda nervous I just applied a few days ago but I’m not prepared I’ll just try my hardest and hope I get in. good luck to everyone
Original post by Baddiee
guys I’m kinda nervous I just applied a few days ago but I’m not prepared I’ll just try my hardest and hope I get in. good luck to everyone

ahh don't worry that's all of us, hopefully we'll get in!
Some (hopefully helpful) words of advice. I am currently in year 12 at KCLMS; here are some heads up before you apply.

For the purposes of confidentiality, this message is being submitted anonymously.

+++ Pros +++

1. The school is highly sophisticated in terms of technology. Each pupil is equipped with a Microsoft365 subscription and currently all homework is completed on Microsoft OneNote. All pupils have been handed £36 "One by Wacom" slates to write onto OneNote with. These arrangements undoubtedly made remote learning during COVID-19 as effective as possible.

2. There is great emphasis on wellbeing, including good communication with designated tutors and Designated Safeguarding Lead.

3. Transport links are pretty good in the area - with Waterloo, a major transport hub, being a 10 minute walk from the school.

4. People have similar interests and aspirations for the future and the school is welcoming to all backgrounds.

5. There are five examinations for each subject across year 12 - thorough examination and feedback is essential for success.

--- Cons ---

1. A significant proportion of students at Kings Maths School are somewhat antisocial. So, if you're looking to maintain a healthy social life, I would strongly advise you to stick to other schools, preferably where a bunch of your friends are thinking about heading to.

2. There are only 70-80 people in each year group - again, there is a limit to social interaction both due to the fact that there simply are not many people and also due to COVID-19.

3. The way lessons are delivered is pretty much the same as in most other schools. The main reason why Kings Maths School has the highest grades in the country (as of 2019, 2020) is *because* it is a highly selective school rather than because it increases the progress made by learners. Put simply, the highest achievers at GCSE form a large proportion of the highest achievers at A-Level.

4. Pupils do not have a choice of which modules to study for A-Level Further Mathematics - all learners study further core, further statistics and further mechanics.

5. Note that the former applies to all schools, the latter refers to KCLMS: due to the current situation with COVID-19, social contact with the other year group (i.e. year 13) is strictly forbidden and it has recently been brought to my attention that the school have threatened disciplinary action against pupils who interact with those outside their 'bubble' outside of school.

6. For most pupils, the commute to and from school every day is simply not worth it.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Hope this helps.
Original post by AnonPerson1
Some (hopefully helpful) words of advice. I am currently in year 12 at KCLMS; here are some heads up before you apply.

For the purposes of confidentiality, this message is being submitted anonymously.

+++ Pros +++

1. The school is highly sophisticated in terms of technology. Each pupil is equipped with a Microsoft365 subscription and currently all homework is completed on Microsoft OneNote. All pupils have been handed £36 "One by Wacom" slates to write onto OneNote with. These arrangements undoubtedly made remote learning during COVID-19 as effective as possible.

2. There is great emphasis on wellbeing, including good communication with designated tutors and Designated Safeguarding Lead.

3. Transport links are pretty good in the area - with Waterloo, a major transport hub, being a 10 minute walk from the school.

4. People have similar interests and aspirations for the future and the school is welcoming to all backgrounds.

5. There are five examinations for each subject across year 12 - thorough examination and feedback is essential for success.

--- Cons ---

1. A significant proportion of students at Kings Maths School are somewhat antisocial. So, if you're looking to maintain a healthy social life, I would strongly advise you to stick to other schools, preferably where a bunch of your friends are thinking about heading to.

2. There are only 70-80 people in each year group - again, there is a limit to social interaction both due to the fact that there simply are not many people and also due to COVID-19.

3. The way lessons are delivered is pretty much the same as in most other schools. The main reason why Kings Maths School has the highest grades in the country (as of 2019, 2020) is *because* it is a highly selective school rather than because it increases the progress made by learners. Put simply, the highest achievers at GCSE form a large proportion of the highest achievers at A-Level.

4. Pupils do not have a choice of which modules to study for A-Level Further Mathematics - all learners study further core, further statistics and further mechanics.

5. Note that the former applies to all schools, the latter refers to KCLMS: due to the current situation with COVID-19, social contact with the other year group (i.e. year 13) is strictly forbidden and it has recently been brought to my attention that the school have threatened disciplinary action against pupils who interact with those outside their 'bubble' outside of school.

6. For most pupils, the commute to and from school every day is simply not worth it.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Hope this helps.

oh damn antisocial, how many roughy lol
Original post by AnonPerson1

+++ Pros +++

--- Cons ---

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Hope this helps.

what's the gender ratio?
Original post by blobfish123
oh damn antisocial, how many roughy lol

We're talking around half.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending