The Student Room Group

17 and want to book hotel room

Me and my boyfriend are 17 and want to book a hotel room in Manchester. Will I be allowed?
Original post by jxzminxallen
Me and my boyfriend are 17 and want to book a hotel room in Manchester. Will I be allowed?

No you have to be 18 :smile:

Hotels are closed?
Once the lockdown is lifted, yes you can.

Original post by Hazelly
Hotels are closed?

For leisure travellers yes. If you have a letter from your company stating you’re travelling for business purposes that cannot be done from home then you can stay in a hotel. :smile:
Original post by IanDangerously
Once the lockdown is lifted, yes you can.

For leisure travellers yes. If you have a letter from your company stating you’re travelling for business purposes that cannot be done from home then you can stay in a hotel. :smile:

Ah right okay :smile:

Someone over 18 could book a room for you.

Not condoning it but I used to work on a chain hotel front desk and we never checked date of birth...
Original post by beachpanda
Not condoning it but I used to work on a chain hotel front desk and we never checked date of birth...

Which hotel? OP could go there.
Original post by Woodsy_
Someone over 18 could book a room for you.

Hotel will probably ask for ID on arrival, especially if you look young. Any decent hotel anyway. If you stay in somewhere that’s a bit dodgy you might be able to get away with it.

Also you’re more likely to get away with it if you pre pay. If you don’t pay before you arrive you’ll need to leave a credit card, not debit card for them to pre-auth, and 17 years olds don’t have credit cards....
Original post by lbenson88
Hotel will probably ask for ID on arrival, especially if you look young. Any decent hotel anyway. If you stay in somewhere that’s a bit dodgy you might be able to get away with it.

Also you’re more likely to get away with it if you pre pay. If you don’t pay before you arrive you’ll need to leave a credit card, not debit card for them to pre-auth, and 17 years olds don’t have credit cards....

Someone over 18 could book, pay and get the key for the room and give it to OP then OP and boyfriend go in hotel room for sexy time.
Original post by beachpanda

I also used to work on a front desk and we always checked ID’s. It’s fairly standard practice, not 100% across the industry but it’s the norm.

I also travel for work a lot and I always get asked for my ID in places when I check in.
Original post by Woodsy_
Someone over 18 could book, pay and get the key for the room and give it to OP then OP and boyfriend go in hotel room for sexy time.

Yup that’s defo a way to do it. It’s the equivalent of getting an older brother to go buy alcohol in the shop for you but works.

I assume if they’re posting on here though that might not be an option.

The reason a hotel doesn’t accept a booking from an under 18 is because the contract isn’t valid. Children (and you would still be a child legally l) can’t sign a contract for payment. So if you damage anything or don’t pay for something the hotel has to try and take damages from your parents. Which would be hard to do unless they can prove the parents had knowledge you were there.

I once had a teenager stay in our hotel but the parents had booked the room and the sales people had done a bunch of checks when the room was booked. The room was flagged for loads of things (like room service restrictions, what to do in the event of fire ect) they were a teenager but the hotel had to act like they were an unaccompanied child.
Original post by Woodsy_

Will they ask for id of everyone that comes in? Can we just walk into the hotel after one of our mates (18) gets the key?
Will they ask for id of everyone that comes in? Can we just walk into the hotel after one of our mates (18) gets the key?

Your mate who gets the key would need to be the person doing the check-in (ie sign stuff and leave card details)

Another option- don’t stay in a hotel, stay in a hostel.

Hostels still have private rooms, you don’t need to share a dorm. And they are happy to take people under 18 as long as an over 18 signs off. (Ie your mate)

We did that going to London a few years ago, 1 of the group was 18 and signed, the rest of us were 16 and 17 but it was all legal and there was no sneaking around with keys
Reply 14
Check the terms and conditions of the hotel you want to stay in. A quick look at Premier Inn and I saw that the minimum age to make a reservation is 16. Best to be open and legitimate.
Original post by lbenson88
I also used to work on a front desk and we always checked ID’s. It’s fairly standard practice, not 100% across the industry but it’s the norm.

I also travel for work a lot and I always get asked for my ID in places when I check in.

When I’ve done front desk shifts we generally check ID if somebody pays in cash or online. If someone pays with a bank card in the same name as that on the booking and physically enters the correct PIN they are identified.

Unless of course their home address is outside of the UK and then it’s a legal requirement to take passport details.

A lot of hotels now have 16 as a minimum age rather than 18 anyway so it’s not really an issue if the person booking checks the T&Cs!
I remember reading a story in the paper of a father who went to a hotel with his 14 year old daughter.

Later after he was booked in he recieved a knock at the door it was the police! ..one of the hotel staff had apparently reported him for peadophilia 🙄

Quick Reply

Latest